Virtual Reality

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It doesn't cover the whole FOV. It's been described as like a scuba mask.
I would describe it similar to binoculars. You have that circular "cut out" vision where everything is black around you except for the center view. Honestly though I really stop noticing it after a little bit. Been playing through HL2 and the game just sucks you in in 3D.
rrr_img_54547.jpg

As for FOV most games seem to be targeting 90-110 degrees. Half life 2 sadly maxes at 90. Skyrim tutorials suggest 110 when getting to Rfit working with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Column_sl

shitlord
I would describe it similar to binoculars. You have that circular "cut out" vision where everything is black around you except for the center view. Honestly though I really stop noticing it after a little bit. Been playing through HL2 and the game just sucks you in in 3D.
rrr_img_54547.jpg

As for FOV most games seem to be targeting 90-110 degrees. Half life 2 sadly maxes at 90. Skyrim tutorials suggest 110 when getting to Rfit working with it.
That's basically what it is, but it definitely feels more like a scuba mask.

You barely see any of the black frame in that above picture.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You barely see any of the black frame in that above picture.
True, the closer you keep the lenses to your eyes the less you see of the border. I tend to keep them a little bit further away because, at least with the Dev unit, if I get the lenses too close the Rift starts hurting my Nose. Hopefully they improve the ergonomics of the retail units.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
If they can keep the cost relatively the same, as they state, then I think it's a good addition. I wish they would have announced some kind of launch time-frame though.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
TBH while that sounds great, I hope this isn't doomed to feature creep. First prototype, then 1080p, then 4k, then OLED, then motion tracking via a camera, then.... when is it ever ready enough? I'm sure they will want a controller for your hands so you can pick stuff up... And of course you'll need built in headphones with 3d audio... Then they need to reduce the weight so its comfortable.... Then they need the wireless version to avoid cables...

I've never used the current dev kit, so I don't know how far it really has to go, but I just hope it gets released within the next year or 2.

Speaking of audio though, I really hope there is an external button or notification method for other people to get a hold of you. I foresee many bricks being shat or people getting hit when someone taps your shoulder in the middle of a suspenseful game.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's not really feature creep as much as it is implementing real ways to solve problems and satisfy features.

The features of an HMD are:
1. 3d
2. Covers user's fov
3. high def display (1080p minimum, 4k is more ideal, 8k is probably the most that could be used)
4. high refresh rate (90hz minimum, could go up to 160hz probably)
5. orientation tracking (roll/pitch/yaw)
6. position tracking (x, y and z)
7. Very low latency between movement and display update (<40ms, 20ms is ideal)

#2 isn't really attempted with the prototypes of the rift, though they have gone way passed previous releases of HMDs. The infinitieye attempts this. (Blue is the rift, yellow is the infiniteye)
inftinieye-stereoscopic-filed-of-view-comparison-oculus-rift.jpg

#3 is only possible in the last few years primarily because of improvements from smartphone technology (Which is really the impetus for this whole VR craze last year and this year, Oculus started by Palmer dicking aroudn in his garage by taking apart smartphones and posting about it on forums). #6 is only possible atm with a solution like they have with a camera. Tracking 3d position in small movements with high accuracy is very hard. #7 is only possible with very recent displays using OLED technology, because even though you could get very quick responses from your orientation estimate and update your game engine fast you'll still have smearing and lag in the display. There's still a huge problem where Oculus has to get a vendor that can mass-produce world-class displays. Samsung blows huge money on R&D to get displays like the S4, so a small outfit like Oculus getting a matching display is non-trivial.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm still in favor of them doing another prototype while they wait to lock down the consumer version.

They will pretty much sell out immediately if the last prototype is any indication.
I know I would pay the purchase point again for the HD display they showed in that video.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It all depends on production really. If they're close to signing a contract and starting production with LG, Samsung, whatever then they will probably skip the DK2 and produce CK1 for Fall/Winter. If they're still early on in the negotiation step I think they'll get DK2 out in Summer/Fall.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sometimes the best interviews are the ones the interviewees don't think will get seen by many people, lol.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Interesting little bit at the end there. If they had 1 more year and more money...... So does that mean their gearing up to ship the consumer version this year? Also sounds like their just haggling over the manufacturing of the components at this point as Crystal Cove they say is perfect... Interesting....

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't say it's haggling as much as it is getting everything in order. Being a very new company with no released product and mass producing consumer electronics that are bleeding edge in many ways is basically unheard of. If you look at all the top consumer electronics over the last decade it's been pretty much companies like Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, LG etc.

But now that investors have given them hoards of cash the bean counters are starting to turn their heads so doors are opening for them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Japanese companies testing 360-degree VR broadcasts for live events

I can imagine getting to be on the sidelines of a football game with the ability to move around and then just wanting to go back to watching the game from the dozens of cameras they have automatically switching around. Maybe if a football game had 10+ of these video heads you can switch to, but automatic switching would be annoying and manual switching would be tedious.