Virtual Reality

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was watching this week's episode of Shark Tank and they had Virtuix Omni on there. Looked pretty awesome, and exactly the kind of thing I wished I had when I was a kid. The price was listed at only $499, which is not bad really considering what immersion it offers (plus the price of the Rift). Have any of you had a chance to try the Virtuix Omni + Rift out firsthand?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't tried it but I don't really see the value in it as a home product. Are there people who really want to replace WASD with stumbling around on some disk?

Intropy

Shit Gamer
A close friend of mine is doing a master thesis on using the Oculus Rift for the remote operation of unmanned drones. I'm one of the 'test subjects', its been really cool so far. The experiments have been setup where you sample multiple input methods (regular monitor, controlling it in person in the same room, the rift, etc), and he monitors your proficiency with each one. The Rift makes a massive difference, the big limitation of the other input methods is the limited field of view and the rift completely eliminates the issue, pretty exciting stuff.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We did something with UGVs a couple years ago and a vuzix hmd. The FOV and head control makes a huge difference but the vuzix is shit. I can't wait to hook up the commercial rift to a pair of cameras.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Have any of you had a chance to try the Virtuix Omni + Rift out firsthand?
Cliffy B was on the Joe Rogan podcast and was talking about this. He's an investor in the Rift and he said that he believes it is best used as a sitting device. He said currently not only is there more motion sickness when using the Omni, but it's also not very practical for the pacing of video games today.

Column_sl

shitlord
I agree with Cliffy that normal video game play would be much too taxing for anything like the Omni.
But there are still allot of applications outside of the video game realm it could benefit from.

I wish steam would partner up with these guys, and make it so that every game could possibly support the rift.
Rift and a steam box would be god like.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Steam has nothing to do with Rift game support, it's all on the developer. If a studio wants to support the Rift, they will.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
au contraire:
This was recently added, check out the the VR support tag below languages:
Lunar Flight on Steam

This also allows games with VR support to be searchable. It's so new it doesn't even have an icon yet.

Valve is creating their own HMD but for unknown reasons. One rumor is that Valve wants to create a standardization for VR so that all the HMDs that will be coming out in the next few years can have as broad of support as possible.

You are right though, it's up to each group of developers to implement support for the Rift. Valve is just fixing to help that along.

Column_sl

shitlord
Steam has nothing to do with Rift game support, it's all on the developer. If a studio wants to support the Rift, they will.
That is actually incorrect, there are app packages right now that make many games playable on the rift.
Steam teams would just do the fine tuning for there platform,and build that app within there current system.

For instance I play Boderlands 2 on the rift through a 3rd party app, and it is not a title supported by the studio.
It just takes some minor tweaking to get it rift enabled.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So what were they doing with their initial kickstarter cash? Just fucking about?

Therious question
frown.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, the initial development units were produced with that cash.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So what were they doing with their initial kickstarter cash? Just fucking about?

Therious question
frown.png
Just fucking about = creating the best HMD to date?

I don't know what exactly they're planning on doing with the 75mill they just got but if the new prototype is as good as thye say and they opened pre-orders after demonstrating it at CES2014 I'd bet they'd get enough money in a month to build a large scale production of Rifts.

Column_sl

shitlord
Im buying the next version as soon as they open pre orders.

I don't think it will be the consumer version tho. They will probly do one more beta version then launch there consumer hardware with all that feedback.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They seem really confident in their current prototype and the huge funding they just got makes it seem like they're ready for production.

Column_sl

shitlord
I would agree if they didn't change there specs constantly.

There is already a HD prototype that has been demoed for the last year, or so.

Now they want to to turn to 4k. The consumer HD version was supposed to be out awhile ago.