Virtual Reality

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I have to believe that the NFL will be trying to do something like this in the next 5 years for the superbowl.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Why John Carmack quit id Software

John Carmack quit id Software because parent company ZeniMax Media wouldn't agree to let games he was working on appear on the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.

In an interview with USA Today, developer legend Carmack revealed he would have stayed at id if he had been allowed to make the likes of Wolfenstein: The New Order and Doom 4 work on the Oculus Rift...
Why John Carmack quit id Software Eurogamer.net

Pretty stupid of ZeniMax if that's the case, unless they have some interest in a competing VR product.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Why John Carmack quit id Software

Why John Carmack quit id Software Eurogamer.net

Pretty stupid of ZeniMax if that's the case, unless they have some interest in a competing VR product.
I'm not so sure this is a great loss to either Id or ZeniMax. ID itself hasn't put out a great game since Quake 3 Arena, and the days of superstar engine designers are over since everyone and their smart little brother can put together a really good 3D engine. Id Tech 5 only looks really good only if you squint, and Doom 4 has been a rolling disaster. Id's days are definitely numbered. Don't forget the the sale to ZeniMax, either...which saved the company. I don't know how much was down to Hollenshead or either of the Carmacks, or a mix of the lot, but all the chefs share the blame.

Between flying Id and Armadillo Aerospace into the ground, I'd be reluctant to let him be anything other than a poster boy for any project.

...but but but! All the nerds exclaim, his algorithms are cool!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's tough to say how much creative direction he really had at ID, and you hear mixed things about him and his ideas. From what I hear he's working on an incredible difficult problem at Oculus that hasn't really been solved yet (efficient dewarping of a wide fov render), which, if he's a world-class genius 3d engine programmer is probably a better use.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My friend ordered an Oculus and he should get it this week. Will be cool to finally try it, without having to spend money on the shitty low-res one!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's a good thing for the Rift as long as Oculus didn't pay too much money to CCP to co-produce it. It could be a bad thing for EVE if the Rift is a failure. Though I'm sure they'll port it to monitor and consoles.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I have to believe that the NFL will be trying to do something like this in the next 5 years for the superbowl.
Oculus Rift will let you train with the England rugby team

"O2 and the England rugby team have announced Wear the Rose, a "360-degree virtual reality sports experience" for Oculus Rift that places you within a training session for the [English] national team."

Wear the Rose - Oculus Rift - YouTube

Oculus Rift will let you train with the England rugby team Eurogamer.net

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
John Carmack has never been anything but a tech guy. If you haven't read the book "Masters of Doom" I highly recommend it. Carmack is a tech genius and him joining a small startup like Oculus is huge for them.

I hope they announce the dev kit x2 soon, I want an upgrade already.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
John Carmack has never been anything but a tech guy. If you haven't read the book "Masters of Doom" I highly recommend it. Carmack is a tech genius and him joining a small startup like Oculus is huge for them.

I hope they announce the dev kit x2 soon, I want an upgrade already.
I don't think they're doing a dev kit x2, at least not from what I've been reading lately. The crystal cove prototype that they recently showed is supposed to be near consumer-ready. Current rumors have it coming out this summer, although christmas season seems more likely.

Can't come soon enough though. I want a consumer release more than I want a cure for aids.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They've said they expect to do a dev kit V2 and the rumor is it is going to be announced shortly. The Steam Dev days interviews are now all mentioning 2015 as the year of VR and nobody is throwing out 2014 dates. Sucks for consumers but I'll happily buy another dev kit this year and buy the consumer version next year.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Everything I've said about the devkit2 is that they'll release them ASAP after they nail down the final specs of the consumer version 1 (CV1).

It might be harder or more expensive to get a DK2 than a DK1 since the demand will likely be much higher and the window between DK2 release and CV1 might be narrow (So they'd want to get the DK2 in the hands of real developers rather than enthusiasts). I wouldn't be surprised if they had some process to verify that you were a developer, which if it's a big deal shame on anyone who isn't a dev trying to get a DK2 before a real dev.

Personally I'd like a DK2 as an enthusiast, but I'm also going to do some robotics work with it.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Sorry if its already been posted, but I thought this TV commercial for the rift was pretty poignant.