Virtual Reality

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think they're doing a dev kit x2, at least not from what I've been reading lately. The crystal cove prototype that they recently showed is supposed to be near consumer-ready. Current rumors have it coming out this summer, although christmas season seems more likely.

Can't come soon enough though. I want a consumer release more than I want a cure for aids.
Glad you were wrong about the dev kit x2, I have mine pre-ordered. Can't wait till July!

Column_sl

shitlord
Same, just got through their system.

I'm the one that predicted a Dev Kit 2. I knew they weren't going to rush a consumer unit yet till they 100% sure on the specs.

Can't wait for true HD finally, Crystal Cove here we come, just in time for Eve!

Column_sl

shitlord
Oculus says the new Rift headsets will be available on the Oculus website for preorder starting right about now, March 19, at 8AM Pacific. The headsets are estimated to ship in July of 2014. They'll be made available on a first-come, first-serve basis.P
The new DevKit still isn't the commercial version, and won't really be intended for the public. It's intended more for developers to start to learn how to make games work on a Rift. Of course, that doesn't mean that non-developers can't buy one...P
Each headset will cost $350, $50 more than the first DevKit cost. The extra $50 apparently covers the included camera that tracks your head movement. P
The DevKit 2 will run at 960x1080 resolution per eye, totaling out to 1920x1080, or 1080p between both eyes. It'll use a low-persistence OLED display with 6DOF positional tracking.P
Its refresh rates will be 75Hz, 72Hz, and 60HzP
It'll use a gyroscope, an accelerometer and a magnetometer for inertial tracking, and those sensors will update at 1000Hz.P
It'll weigh 440g without its cable.P
The headset is still called the Rift, and it will always be called the Rift. "Crystal Cove" was just a code-name for the DevKit 2, but isn't the name of the actual headset.P
Just like the Crystal Cove prototype, DevKit 2 will be able to track your head's movements via the included camera (which you mount on a fixed point in the room), so you can lean in closer to objects in the game-world to make your view grow closer. It goes a long way toward making the experience more immersive.P
The new headset looks a touch different than the Crystal Cove prototype - it's now solid black. It's also a more streamlined form-factor from the first Rift, and looks more like how we've come to expect VR headsets to look. P
Here are a couple of official photos, along with a shot of me using it yesterday:p

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Same, just got through their system.

I'm the one that predicted a Dev Kit 2. I knew they weren't going to rush a consumer unit yet till they 100% sure on the specs.

Can't wait for true HD finally, Crystal Cove here we come, just in time for Eve!
I'm sure it will be a welcome improvement over the fairly low def panel in the first one but don't set your hopes too high. 900x1080 per eye but with those optics magnifying it all it is still going to be pixelicious. 4k per eye someday will be awesome.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm really thinking of pre-ordering one of these, I almost can't contain myself.

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm sure it will be a welcome improvement over the fairly low def panel in the first one but don't set your hopes too high. 900x1080 per eye but with those optics magnifying it all it is still going to be pixelicious. 4k per eye someday will be awesome.
The first dev kit is allready amazing imo. Even slight improvements is why I'm buying it all over again.

But these are not slight improvements, they added allot for the new kit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Glad you were wrong about the dev kit x2, I have mine pre-ordered. Can't wait till July!
Yeah Oculus changed their story. A couple months ago they said no dev kit, then recently they said they'd do a dev kit with identical specs to the consumer version. Now they're saying they'll do a dev kit 2 and the consumer version will be improved.

My guess is that they're constantly improving their prototyping in house and aren't able to get a good supply chain for mass production yet. But the difference between DK1 and DK2 in terms of features will probably be large enough (and the difference between DK2 and CV1 is small enough) that it's worth putting out a DK2.

Personally I really want to buy one but don't want to spend money on something that will be replaced in just a few months.... DECISIONS...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just put a pre-order in, I think if I change my mind before July I can cancel...

Column_sl

shitlord
The last one we had for over a year. My guess is they are going to take there time with this one, and wouldn't expect a consumer kit for at least another year.

The fact the Steam Box is coinciding with this is like the perfect marriage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The last one we had for over a year. My guess is they are going to take there time with this one, and wouldn't expect a consumer kit for at least another year.

The fact the Steam Box is coinciding with this is like the perfect marriage.
Yeah I'm thinking if we don't get a CV1 announcement before July it probably means it'll be a while. A CV1 announcement will reduce the DK2 sales (Which they want to get the DK2 in the hands of real devs instead of just enthusiasts).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Reading the Morpheus reviews people seem pretty happy with it. People say it's almost as good as DK2/Crystal Cove which is way more than I expected from Sony.

Column_sl

shitlord
The comparison video on Kotaku hasn't been posted yet, they just said they liked it.

Things of note to me anyway from the IGN review, is

A) the much narrower view, and that the headset doesn't fully block out all of the light from your room so you are able to see the edges of the headset while you have it on.
In the DK1, that was not an issue, and is one of the reasons it is so immersive.

B) the amount of motion blurring on the Morpheus is equal to the DK1. The DK2 has drastically improved on that giving a more smooth turn to your head.

The biggest problem with VR is still motion sickness. I'm one of the few that are not senstive to it, so I can spend long gaming sessions on the DK1 without feeling the need to throwup, but almost every other person I've had try the DK1 lasts about 5 min.

Motion sickness is much more then just the headset tho your computer needs to be a beast to keep a very steady framerate.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just learned that the company I just joined works with Oculus.

I have a slight chubby.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The comparison video on Kotaku hasn't been posted yet, they just said they liked it.

Things of note to me anyway from the IGN review, is

A) the much narrower view, and that the headset doesn't fully block out all of the light from your room so you are able to see the edges of the headset while you have it on.
In the DK1, that was not an issue, and is one of the reasons it is so immersive.

B) the amount of motion blurring on the Morpheus is equal to the DK1. The DK2 has drastically improved on that giving a more smooth turn to your head.

The biggest problem with VR is still motion sickness. I'm one of the few that are not senstive to it, so I can spend long gaming sessions on the DK1 without feeling the need to throwup, but almost every other person I've had try the DK1 lasts about 5 min.

Motion sickness is much more then just the headset tho your computer needs to be a beast to keep a very steady framerate.
Yeah those are all big issues but not really damning. I'm super excited about what they're doing because the question of whether or not they were taking it seriously has been answered pretty well. Now the big question is how much pressure and support they'll exert on game developers to make games compatible with their HMD.

Column_sl

shitlord
Films are also wonderful on the rift. I tried a couple experimental ones from New York, and it's like being in the same room as a crowd of people.
If they can only eliminate motion sickness completely, then imho displays will become obsolete.

3D was a gimmick this is not.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't really get the theater-in-an-hmd part of the Rift. What does a virtual big screen TV in the rift have over a real big screen TV?

I would assume that a real big screen TV has better resolution and a host of other advantages (Like not having to wear an HMD). If the CV1 is 1440 and the theatre screen is only half that size, aren't you effectively getting a 720 screen??

Column_sl

shitlord
No you are thinking too small, and only movies.
I'm talking about the films where they have a complete view of everything. You can turn your head around completely and see what is behind you.

Now Imagine sporting events where you are sitting in a stadium.

Also the rift does much more believable 3D then anything I've seen on Imax. You can go right up to someones face, and see the pores in thier skin.
There is also an experimental Google maps for the rift where you can move around in paused time.