Virtual Reality

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I started playing Dreadhalls and couldn't handle it. I lasted around 10 minutes.

I'm a giant sissy.

Column_sl

shitlord
After reading through a lot of articles since the Rift was bought out, I am very excited for it's production now.
You can see some key figures in VR development joining the team, and that is one of the things the original Rift team said they could not afford.

The other news is that SOE is 'Hugely Interested' in PS4 Virtual Reality Headset For EverQuest Next

We can already see from that sham of a Sony Demonstration that the Morpheus isn't even being shown on PS4's to begin with, so we will we see if this happens for the PC.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I really want one of these but I'm fairly susceptible to motion sickness. If they can get that figured out I will literally throw money at them.

Column_sl

shitlord
That won't happen for another decade imo. It requires a whole new way of doing VR that hopefully all this new funding going towards the Rift team will solve.
Motion Sickness is caused by so many things with the current tech. FPS fluctuation, low FPS, if the game freezes at any moment , Low res screens, motion Blurring etc.

Just adding the ability to be able to move in an out of space with the new camera helps, but that won't get rid of motion sickness.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Supposedly people playing the crystal cove prototype were able to wear it for hours at a time. According to them, motion sickness was almost entirely caused by latency.

Column_sl

shitlord
Latency isn't caused by the Rift headset, it's caused by the hardware you are running it off of.
For instance when I play halflife 2 there is no latency. That factors into motion sickness, but isn't even close to solving it.

Even on the DK1 the head tracking is phenomenal as long as your computer can handle a high framerate.

The visual experience needs to be smooth with no hiccups in frames, no motion blur when you turn your head, and extremely clear.

You also need to be able to move in, and out with the head tracking, and have no loading screens.

Loading screens will make you throw up immediately. I'm not sure why that happens other then your brain is set to a certain viewing experience, and when it is lost it throws it all off.
Much like when you take off a VR helmet you feel off balance.

Column_sl

shitlord
Back to being really clear, the DK2 (crystal cove prototype) isn't that huge of a jump up in visuals from the DK1 according that that 3D chart that Tuco posted.

It only gets good when you move up to 4k.

We obviously can not do 4k right now with they way we render frames from our computers, and keep a good framerate. So a new tech has to be created on the display side.
Being tied to doubling frames will kill VR.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I feel like it would be awkward to use a VR headset with a controller.

How about scary games with Omni and a force feedback vest
wink.png

Column_sl

shitlord
I thought the same thing, but it works really well.

The controller gives you the superhuman speed, and doesn't tire you out. The helmet just gives you immersion, so instead of looking out of a window, you are in the game.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Ignoring the sensationalist and misleading headline, ZeniMax are after cash + shares:

ZeniMax provided necessary VR technology and other valuable assistance to Palmer Luckey and other Oculus employees in 2012 and 2013 to make the Oculus Rift a viable VR product, superior to other VR market offerings."

The statement further noted that Oculus founder Palmer Lucky agreed, in writing, that Zenimax owned some intellectual property now being used by the VR company. "The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax. Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax's legal ownership of this intellectual property."

"It was further agreed that Mr. Luckey would not disclose this technology to third persons without approval. Oculus has used and exploited ZeniMax's technology and intellectual property without authorisation, compensation or credit to ZeniMax. ZeniMax and Oculus previously attempted to reach an agreement whereby ZeniMax would be compensated for its intellectual property through equity ownership in Oculus but were unable to reach a satisfactory resolution. ZeniMax believes it is necessary to address these matters now and will take the necessary action to protect its interests."
John Carmack accused of stealing tech from id for Oculus Eurogamer.net

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Twitter / ID_AA_Carmack: No work I have ever done has ...
Twitter / ID_AA_Carmack: Oculus uses zero lines of code ...

Carmack_sl said:
No work I have ever done has been patented. Zenimax owns the code that I wrote, but they don't own VR.
Oculus uses zero lines of code that I wrote while under contract to Zenimax.
Their case is probably, "Carmack was employed under Zenimax under this time period. Carmack developed stuff for Oculus under the same time period."

I wonder if they'll have to prove "The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax.", because I imagine ZeniMax was just a pain in his dick and made him quit in this time period.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
A lot of companies make you sign something that says you will not work on something in the same industry on the side while you are working for them. I had to sign something like that when I was hired at my engineering job. I don't know how actionable it is, but I think it's pretty common at places like that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Still not a fan of the Virtuix Omni (or any other body motion controller system for serious gaming) but this is cool