Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The ANTVR device has a realllly bad reputation in the VR community. Not sure how well founded that is.
295.strip.gif

Column_sl

shitlord
The Glance window is a really good idea. That would be something welcomed on the new Rifts.

On the old rifts it was such a pain in the ass if you wanted to move around, or just use your KB.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So had a chance to try one out, from a friend who got one of the newer versions...

Not really impressed all I got was a headache after 10minutes =/

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I've only messed with the first gen version, but even that was great from my perspective. At almost exactly 2 hours in I got that carsick nauseous feeling, and within 5 minutes of that starting, I had to take it off or I was going to be sick. I would really like to try out the second gen and see the difference, but even the first gen worked well enough for long enough that I don't think I would regret the purchase.

For me, this is a day one buy after having tried it, just a really amazing piece of hardware. That is, assuming the law suit doesn't screw everything up!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really hope ZOS gets buried on this. It's probably the most egregiously offensive gaming lawsuit I've heard of. Carmack was trying to bring VR into Zenimax and was fought tooth and nail over it. He eventually left when they refused to put VR in their games and went to Oculus. Once Oculus got purchased by Facebook Zenimax tries to cash in by pretending it was involved with helping Oculus as a company and wasn't just a pain in Carmack's ass.

I hope the Facebook lawyer team fights this instead of settling. So far I've seen zero technical value that ZOS is claiming.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oculus should have ripped Zenimax in a press release saying that this lawsuit was nothing more then a cash grab to try to soften the blow of the flop of ESO.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The partnership between Samsung and Oculus is official:
Samsung is working with Oculus on a media-focused VR headset

This is pretty great news, both because Oculus has a world class producer of displays for its devices (which was the biggest hurdle it was facing to get to CV1) and because Samsung is taking VR seriously.

Depending on the details I could see the VR systems where you drop your phone in being more successful than independent HMDs. I have to assume they'd be able to hit a sub-$100 or even $50 pricepoint with one of those phone-based HMDs.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yup, that's good news for the displays in the Oculus at least.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess I'm in the minority here but I'm more excited about the applications outside of gaming. Virtual tours of Mars, national parks, a concert etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not 'more' excited about that application but I am very excited to do that stuff. I also want to use it in my career.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Where do people on these forums see VR going on a conceptual level? I've readReady Player One, but I honestly hope the technology doesn't move in that limited of a direction. If the range of experiences available to VR are restricted to the device's native gameplay, Imma be pissed.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I see 1 billion people playing an MMO.
TrainWreck1.gif

In reality, much farther in sciences than anything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You're going to see a VR version of every kind of entertainment in the next decade, many of which will be wildly successful, many will fizzle out. Already there's been VR demos with the Oculus DK1 for almost every use case I can think of, but who knows which ones will be good enough to be a common thing.

Column_sl

shitlord
I assume they are going to ship late July to the people that ordered on the first day like myself.

But being the tech business I'm sure they will come with some excuse to delay.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

this one even fucks with me just watching the youtube video and crossing my eyes. Can't wait for the DK2!