Virtual Reality

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Been mulling over the decision to preorder the DK2. Got some money to burn. The only thing I worry about is wearing it with glasses. Anyone have any experience with the DK1 and wearing glasses? I know that the DK1 had different lens cups.

Column_sl

shitlord
It's probably more comfortable with glasses to be honest. They didn't pad the nose bridge on the original DK1, so it is like sharp plastic digging into your skull.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Preorder the DK2 and cancel if you change your mind! That's what made me preorder it the day it was available...

People are starting to hear order processing stuff and I'm starting to get excited.... I expect to have one sometime in August.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
oculushypetrain.jpg

First 5000 DK2s on the way!
cybereality_sl said:
The first batch of official DK2s have left the manufacturing facility and are making their way to our distribution centers now. We expect to ship roughly 10,000 DK2s from the factory in July, with just over half of the units through distribution centers and on their way to doorsteps before the end of the month. The very first units are expected to reach developers the week of July 14th. Tracking numbers for all DK2s will be generated as soon as the shipment has been processed by a distribution center.

Please take a moment to confirm that your shipping address is up to date via the Oculus Sales page (Oculus VR Account Info | Order Status Tracking System | Oculus Rift Kickstarter Order Information). We'll ship to the address on file, and if the information is incorrect, it may cause delivery delays. In the event that your payment information is no longer valid, you'll receive an email prior to shipment with instructions on how to complete your payment.

We're now over 45,000 DK2 pre-orders, which is incredibly exciting. That said, we're slightly behind in manufacturing and there's currently a high chance that some developers with estimated shipping in July may not have their DK2s shipped until August. We have a team in China working on continued ramp of production at our factory, and we'll work our way through the queue as fast as we can.

Once your Development Kit 2 is ready for shipment, you'll receive an email with a tracking number which can be used to see an estimated delivery date. Please do not contact Oculus support asking for a shipping estimate, as we do not know the status of your package until a tracking number has been generated.

We'll continue to post status updates, so everyone can stay current on what's going on behind the scenes. Thanks again for your continued support, and we hope everyone is excited to be begin working with DK2!
Official DK2 Update (July 1st 2014) | Oculus General Discussion | Oculus Rift Developer Forums

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
How many DK2s have been ordered? Do we know?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didn't get mine ordered until about 90 minutes after the queues opened that first morning, I hope I am in the first set of shipments that receives theirs in July. I'm heading to Tanzania in early August and won't be back until the end of the month and I want to have some DK2 time before the trip.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Control VR- The Future of Virtual Reality, Animation Kickstarter

ControlVR finished its kickstarter. Really nice product and something that meshes well with VR, but it's just not something I really want for gaming or professional use.

The big problem with these kinds of systems is tactile feedback and that's a much bigger problem than just having some CV and imus track finger/arm positions. It looks great in demos like the above because they've achieved low latency and ostensibly high accuracy movements. But when you have people try to accomplish tasks and manipulate objects it becomes unwieldy and confusing.

One really good use is to use them when the user's environment matches the ingame one. Ex: a cockpit where all the buttons/joystick/wheel are in the smae place in and out of game. This can cause amazing presence when the user sees that 1-to-1 action. But the gloves then only add cohesion between controls (because you know the hand position when the user is manipulating the controls, or can infer it with some accuracy) and probably aren't worth the effort.

The other problem is that when you use the hands for movement like this you take away the hands from the keyboard/mouse/gamepad etc. They'll probably add some buttons and sticks to the gloves but that balance is hard to find.

There's some research in the field but it's obviously not ready for consumer level yet.

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yea the biggest issue for me would be controlling more than just your hands in a game. I think it would only have a small range of applications where it would be useful, such as driving/flying simulators, or anywhere where your hands do the movement... but as you mentioned, you can already infer hands (such as on the steering wheel of a driving sim) so this really adds very little. Maybe for non-gaming, like a whole new level of virtual chat rooms.

There's one other reason I probably wouldn't use it for gaming even if it did have decent controls; Just like the Wii, most of the time I don't want to waggle my arms at the screen, I just want to relax and exert as little physical energy as possible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Some render of Samsung's VR headset:
Exclusive: Samsungs virtual reality headset will be called Gear VR, launch at IFA 2014 | SamMobile

vrmanager_stub_022.png

I'm betting they'll improve how it looks, but the idea of dropping your phone into a headset and having VR is pretty compelling. I'm hoping the software interfaces are relatively open so everyone can jump into this bandwagon and develop apps for phones.

I'm also hoping it's easy to drive a 3d display from a PC to your phone so you can render high-end games in 3d over a mobile device.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
VR Skyrim...man.

I wonder what the leadtime is on a DK2 right now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They're saying Sept/Oct, but I'm guessing Nov. It'll jump up when the first DK2s start arriving though and all the media outlets get them.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
but the idea of dropping your phone into a headset and having VR is pretty compelling.
Not sure how well that idea would really work. I have a Nexus 5 which is not a small phone by any means and there's no way it would be able to cover a large enough field of vision to really give a good immersive feeling. Even the Note 3, which this is designed to work with, doesn't seem like it would be large enough to really be suitable.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Are they charging credit cards on order or on shipment?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how well that idea would really work. I have a Nexus 5 which is not a small phone by any means and there's no way it would be able to cover a large enough field of vision to really give a good immersive feeling. Even the Note 3, which this is designed to work with, doesn't seem like it would be large enough to really be suitable.
I think the lenses are there to envelope your fov.