Visions of Grandeur (making dad-servers great again!)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dad here, How do I download the client if not through Google Drive (default), which says it's too big to scan?

Ridas

Pay to play forum
The files should be okay. Most of us downloaded it there and never heard of any problem. Just ignore the warning and dl anyway.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds more difficult than NL. If you farm some solid gear and max AA for the xpac you are working on, you can definitely kill Vulak etc with your own 3 box team. As Deruvian said though, this is based around having a permanent Evasive Discipline running on your tanks. Without it, the entire tuning would change drastically needing far greater healing. The one thing NL has going for it is the tune from Classic - Luclin. (PoP could use some tweaks). You aren't going to walk all the content your first run through without help if you don't have the gear. There's definitely a healthy progression community, but once you have gear and AA you can damn near do anything yourself with your 3 box team aside from some PoP encounters. (ie: RZ, Coirnav, Rathe, PoTime Phase 4+)

It definitely is harder.

On VoG, I couldn't 4 box Vindi with Warrior/Rogue/Ench/Cleric. I had to swap out my Ench for a Necro to have the DPS; my cleric would go OOM otherwise. Doze would be impossible for my boxes on VoG, where as I farmed full Doze gear while waiting for a Vulak flag on NL (due to odd play times).

But maybe I'm just bad.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I definitely just duo'd Vyemm in TOV with War/Monk only using healing pots, and they're only in Velious gear. (Third box got shot into the lava when the fight started :/)

Now, I have max AA's and the ability to use glyphs pretty liberally, but yeah.

Last edited:

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I thought there were supposed to be no place holders on this server. Getting alot of PHs in veksar

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought there were supposed to be no place holders on this server. Getting alot of PHs in veksar

very few ph's in vanilla/kunark, and things get a little more placeholdery as you move on. I think the veksar nameds are mostly at 50% chance

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keying/flagging was so much a part of live that it felt wrong to do away with it completely, so it's been left locked (same with vt and pop flagging). The tali's are pretty easy to farm though.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's often 30+ on, though many are boxes of course. Not sure how easy it is to group, but I have ran into a number of people who prefer to play single accounts and more who don't want to do anything more than duo. It's way easier than real eq, but it's not a cakewalk solo. On the upside, a single player can still bring a lot to a 4box group by doing the things that boxers aren't typically great at.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit, it's been a long time since I posted in this thread! My little experiment gets to celebrate its 2nd Christmas! From the old posts, it looks like I spent last Christmas updating broken quests lol. This one is a little more fun :)

Fabled spawns are HIGHLY increased (just for the holiday), and 4 new ones were added!
Ykesha, chardokb, solc, and Paw(revamped) are open!
and Peras has a few Christmas treats!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I highly recommend trying Control's server if you want a casual EQ fix and experience content at your own pace. I had a ton of fun when I played a while back and my dad still plays there and loves it. Control is also a great dude!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Might have the itch, but was any of the Luclin+ tuning addressed? Seems the 4 box hit its limits pretty early on, judging by the posts.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lots of tweaks were made of course, but no idea which of them happened after you stopped playing though. I believe everything has been technically 1-grouped, but a more realistic expectation is 8ish for Rathe and Time.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried firing this up for a nostalgia run. Created a new Enchanter and gave up fairly early. I fucked up and didn't research the class choice. The tweaks to the server don't really favor the Enchanter class whatsoever and in fact, make it a very poor choice. The server charm slot item boosts summoned pets nicely for a Necro / Mage. Chanters rely on charmed pets, but with the nerf to mob damage output, it screws the charm spell ability completely.

Then rolled a Necro into my 50s and lost interest. The server is fun, but the balance is quite different to what Maze's NL server was. Not sure if it was dumb luck or genius, but NL had that power balance just perfect. I think there's just a touch too much on the difficulty level here, which isn't bad in itself... however, on these type of low population Emus, it just forces people to box their ass off or find other non-existent players to group with. Counteracts the point of a "Dad Server".

Props to Control Control for continuing work here though. Wish there were more Emu's focused on a fun sightseeing nostalgia tour of Norrath like this. Seems like there's either hardcore P99 types or 6-12+ box MQ2 required servers galore.

• 1Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the feedback! Sadly, my balance tweaking has sort of fallen off for various reasons, though it's always very subjective of course.

Just as a note on chanters, I realize that they're in a really weird spot on this server, but compared to live, the guaranteed duration charm and reduction in mob MR are huge buffs, and charmed-mob damage is the same relatively speaking (half dmg but half hp). They just don't fit in so well with the 'optimal' playstyle of boxing your own group. Charming obviously makes boxing much more complicated. They're pretty crappy as a buff/nuke bot, and people tend not to bother with any content that needs crowdcontrol (though low mob mr and not being scared to blow a full tank of mana on every fight makes for some pretty great crowd control potential). As it stands, I think the class would need some pretty fundamental changes to be highly desirable in a box-heavy world (well, that or opening up some 6-man limited content that's complicated enough to make boxing it highly challenging).

I would actually like to give all the classes a giant re-tuning, but considering the time it would take, I'm not sure I'll ever actually get to it.

Also, NL is still running btw, if you didn't know. It crashes on occasion, and I don't usually notice until someone pokes me on discord, so it's down sometimes. I keep meaning to merge the servers but haven't devoted the time to it yet.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Damage of charmed mobs reverted back to normal damage and they hit like a truck on Nl. I ran a paladin enchanted duo and it was great.

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
Damage of charmed mobs actually was scaled off the charisma and Mana of the Enchanter casting the charm, Sorta like the pets were scaled by Mana for casters and 1/2 mana 1/2 hp for hybrids.

Secrets did that.

Well, except when we forgot to revert to normal stats after charm wore off, which lead to everyone charming, fading, and charming again to have a monsterpet.

• 1Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Ah, didnt know that. But the Enchanter was awsome anyway with full duration charm and the pet hitting for good damage.