Visit Butcherblock Mountains

fucker_sl

shitlord
Skyshrine was bad ass. Took balls to make zones like that. Really it didn't take balls but it would by today's fucked up standards. Even though that guy had the camera pulled back it highlights again my opinion that going third person has done as much to ruin the genre as these lame hallway/room "dungeon" maps. Notice single player RPG's are still first person oriented? Gee, I wonder why? How the fuck has the MMO genre ended up being some bastardized RTS overhead style button spammer instead of an RPG? Fucking Blizzard, I loved WoW at times but the entire genre is way off track these days.

the fact that watching this video i could tell the exact layout of the areas he was visiting after 10 years speaks volume about the time i spent there as an Ogre warrior. there was no real need for splitting there if you knew what you were doing so i was the one usually tasked with pulling. i know that place like no other in everquest

shit....this and the skyshire videos have so many juicy links. from raids to zone tours. so many memories

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
I remember soloing those guards at the BB docks. Good exp and loots! It also took me 44 levels to figure out that I could outrun NPCs by strafe running. Talk about a lot of needless deaths before that!
Heh, I had a friend who started near the beginning of EQ (Whereas I didnt start till about a year after launch) who went nearly a year running around in a permanent low-vision fog before finding out you could adjust the clipping plane and actually see the whole area.... :p

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Fuck yeah Butcherblock
rrr_img_42527.jpg

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
the fact that watching this video i could tell the exact layout of the areas he was visiting after 10 years speaks volume about the time i spent there as an Ogre warrior. there was no real need for splitting there if you knew what you were doing so i was the one usually tasked with pulling. i know that place like no other in everquest

shit....this and the skyshire videos have so many juicy links. from raids to zone tours. so many memories
It was telling for me how immediately the sound effects snapped me back in time. I've never played any emulators or anything. The invis casting (I think that was a different Velks vid that I watched before posting this one), the mob squeals, the footsteps. Most old EQ vids have some dumb song over top. I need to watch more of these sometime. Even though that seems like probably way later than actual Velious, but still its old Velks.

I personally never spent much time there. It was over crowded and sort of seen as the gimpy pick up zone for high levels on my server. All the cool raiders were somewhere else mostly. And of course there was quadding for me, I wasn't sitting around some fucking zone line by that time. I was kiting or joining friends/guildies to group.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I personally never spent much time there. It was over crowded and sort of seen as the gimpy pick up zone for high levels on my server. All the cool raiders were somewhere else mostly. And of course there was quadding for me, I wasn't sitting around some fucking zone line by that time. I was kiting or joining friends/guildies to group.
Same here. Velks was where I would slum when I was waiting for a group. I did become the master of pulling the entry area which was a dangerous tower full of ice and pitfalls but had the benefit of being able to easily drop bad pulls.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I don't think the guy in the video knew what he was doing. He fucked up the ice bridge like a first timer.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You bastard, I had full Thorny Vine, but never got the Tolans legs. Venril Sathir was a stingy bitch.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Fuck butcherblock, Steamfont was where it's at.
Hero bracer quest with a druid partner = bank back in the day

Plus all that rust on the ground , ocd collected stacks of it . Out of sheer boredom waiting for the minotaur hero too pop .

Was a component for some quality shit in luclin , had a fast horse as soon as they were on sale from selling that rust )

blumpster_sl

shitlord
Velketor's had a decent modifier and it was relatively safe, close to a major city with a bank, and wasn't a hard zone. The loot mostly sucked, except for a few really high priced pieces like the lute. It's the SoV version of Kurn's with less trains. I spent a lot of time there. It was for the 'lesser' people due to its ease, but a lot of people in EQ that were considered 'lesser' were only designated as such because the elitists never gave most people a chance to prove themselves and only grouped with their close friends and guild mates. That's not really a complaint, that's just the way things worked in EQ where there are limited camps.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Velketor's had a decent modifier and it was relatively safe, close to a major city with a bank, and wasn't a hard zone. The loot mostly sucked, except for a few really high priced pieces like the lute. It's the SoV version of Kurn's with less trains. I spent a lot of time there. It was for the 'lesser' people due to its ease, but a lot of people in EQ that were considered 'lesser' were only designated as such because the elitists never gave most people a chance to prove themselves and only grouped with their close friends and guild mates. That's not really a complaint, that's just the way things worked in EQ where there are limited camps.
Well no shit. The "elitists" had all done pick up groups before and they knew how much time, money, and XP could be wasted with one bad tank, puller, mezzer or healer. The costs of failure were just too high to fuck around with some casual douche you didn't know if you didn't have to. This is no different than WoW or any other game's single group dynamic.

Velks was accessible for all the reasons you said but also because it was single pull heaven and the mobs weren't so hard as to make the multi pulls a sure wipe. Basically PUG friendly since you didn't absolutely need a bard/chanter or even a cleric specifically for heals. Which is included when you said its not a hard zone. I'm not really disagreeing with you or putting down the people XP'ing in Velks, but there's a hint of butt hurt casual tone in your post. Obviously not everyone in Velks was a moron, but if you could get a group of people you know are good and do a zone with less crowds, more fun, more loot and probably better XP/hour then that's what you'll do.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's the SoV version of Kurn's with less trains.
Did you mean Karnor's? Kurn's Tower was a low level dungeon in field of bone that had a badass club drop from a rare spawn skele in the basement (Undead Jester)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He must have. Karnor's was cool though. You had people camping zone lines, moving inside more if they had a better group makeup, hand room or other close rooms. You had that crypt you had to swim through secret passages to I think, part of VP key dropped off a named there. And of course a raid target in VS. Plus it was remote and there were lower levels doing XP all around right outside. The trains were the stuff of legend too, fun place.

Velks was almost always just people single pulling spiders on the lower levels. The upper levels were barely used, didn't really even seem that popular as raid or small raid targets. I only ended up going there a handful of times. Maybe smaller guilds killed that stuff, IDK.

Bunch of good pics:

http://www.giantbomb.com/karnors-cas...5-4053/images/

opiate82

Bronze Squire
We used to kill Velk with 3 people. Cleric(me), Mage, Wizard... wizard ran in and manaburned/nuked, mage summoned wizard away, I healed up wizard, rinse and repeat. He had such a slow regen rate we could kill him. Sometimes we would take newbs along for the loot, but most of the time it was just to piss off the goodies and neuts by giving them one less raid target to go after.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We used to kill Velk with 3 people. Cleric(me), Mage, Wizard... wizard ran in and manaburned/nuked, mage summoned wizard away, I healed up wizard, rinse and repeat. He had such a slow regen rate we could kill him. Sometimes we would take newbs along for the loot, but most of the time it was just to piss off the goodies and neuts by giving them one less raid target to go after.
Well, AA's came with SoL so it wasn't really current content by then either.

blumpster_sl

shitlord
Well no shit. The "elitists" had all done pick up groups before and they knew how much time, money, and XP could be wasted with one bad tank, puller, mezzer or healer. The costs of failure were just too high to fuck around with some casual douche you didn't know if you didn't have to. This is no different than WoW or any other game's single group dynamic.

Velks was accessible for all the reasons you said but also because it was single pull heaven and the mobs weren't so hard as to make the multi pulls a sure wipe. Basically PUG friendly since you didn't absolutely need a bard/chanter or even a cleric specifically for heals. Which is included when you said its not a hard zone. I'm not really disagreeing with you or putting down the people XP'ing in Velks, but there's a hint of butt hurt casual tone in your post. Obviously not everyone in Velks was a moron, but if you could get a group of people you know are good and do a zone with less crowds, more fun, more loot and probably better XP/hour then that's what you'll do.
I figured that whole elitist thing would provoke a response. Honestly, you sound more butthurt I called people out than I do about being left out. Your post sounds angry, while mine is more acquiescent.

And yea, I meant Karnor's.

Also, on my server Velk's was constantly packed. The only camps that were regularly available were inside the castle and in the pit. All the spiders we're usually taken, and so was the gnoll village.