Volkswagen gets busted.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
most VW owners (non-gearheads) will probably shit all over this company now. I could of course be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they are about to lose their trendy followers.

koljec_sl

shitlord
most VW owners (non-gearheads) will probably shit all over this company now. I could of course be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they are about to lose their trendy followers.
Yeah, and already there are not a lot of VWs on the road. I think I see more Audis, actually.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if they will be held liable in a civil court. Some people may cash in big!!

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I'm aware they're part of the same group. I wrote as much just a couple posts ago.

But the VW brand is/has been in a slide even without the press. I am not sure the Audi brand is/was in the same position.
Most of their mechanicals are the same so I sincerely doubt that it's just going to be VW-brand models which will get fines attached. Hell, over here there's two more car brands which are likely to get hammered as well.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
CEO is going to lose its job. Company lost 20% of its vale, around $18 Billions over night.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
He was just following orders!

biggrin.png

iannis

Musty Nester
He will refuse to recognize the authority they pretend to hold!

Make sure to take his belt.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I would be really amused if they found other car companies doing this. I bet all those California hipsters would have a brain aneurysm.

iannis

Musty Nester
The more I read about it the more it just makes me fucking laugh.

Yes. Our Carbon Credit Economy is rock solid. And I am just absolutely tickled that Ze Germans had the balls to do it.

I really am tempted to buy up as much VW stock as I can reasonably afford.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Diesel's so good that it's getting banned from Paris in the next five years. It had a time and place, and that was the early 2000s before manufacturers started bolting turbos and/or hybrid drivetrains on everything.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I just got rid of my 2012 TDI Jetta. Actually was a nice little car to drive around, but now that we have a 1 year old kid and all the stuff that entails hauling around, "little" became the operative word there. Those TDI engines are surprisingly peppy, but I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty.

I always liked rubbing the fact that my TDI actually had a similar carbon footprint to a Prius (once you account for the production and disposal of the batteries), and was a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Maybe that wasn't nearly as true as consumers were lead to believe though. I guess if you wanted a diesel car finding one of the affected years might be a good option, as you know they aren't nerfing performance to pass emissions.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The fines/lawsuit that Volkswagen is going to get slapped with is going to make GM's ignition lawsuit last year seem mild in comparison. While GM's was determined to be a design oversight. This is something you had to dedicate a team to intentionally develop and implement.

Gonna be a doozy.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Diesel will still be the only option in some countries. Try driving around south america or parts of africa without a diesel. There are places where I don't think they even fucking sell regular gas. But diesel in places like the states on things that aren't semis or serious work trucks? The death toll is ringing.

This is also going to be a legal nightmare for VW. The US caught them, but I doubt the EU is going to give VW a free pass for this. Additionally, there will probably be some class action false advertisement suits that arise from this, along with a huge shock to the brand name that will take a while to sort out. 20% cap seems a bit light on the impact side. I wouldn't be surprised to see VW slide even more in the coming months.