VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
buncha new games announced for Quest 2

Ghostbusters VR

Cities Skyline VR (looks cool)

and a few others like Moss Book 2, Resident Evil 4, Espire 2, Bonelab, Among Us VR, Walking Dead, Red Matter 2, and a few more. Not sure if the full video is here or not

After seeing the cities vid, the world is ready for a VR exclusive Black and White 3.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob

i'm all for them making them thinner and lighter, so cool i guess. but i bought an oculus quest 2 last year when it was like $200 and came with $50 store credit and in the last 4 months its only been turned on twice, when kids were over and to keep them occupied for an hour. the games are great but end of the day i'd rather just play like a normal human being

beat saber, vader immortal and the D&D game are great though

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

i'm all for them making them thinner and lighter, so cool i guess. but i bought an oculus quest 2 last year when it was like $200 and came with $50 store credit and in the last 4 months its only been turned on twice, when kids were over and to keep them occupied for an hour. the games are great but end of the day i'd rather just play like a normal human being

beat saber, vader immortal and the D&D game are great though
same and mine has probably been on less than that. I turned it on over the weekend to see if the last 'space explorer' video had been released (it hasn't) and turned it back off. FB released financials showing they were burning money on VR but they sure seem to be leaning into it.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless games are half life alyx caliber on a wide scale, headsets are more of the size on ready player one, zuckerberg will never realize his dreams

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem with Metaverse shit and VRchat is that appeals to such a small subsection of the population.

The first slice is gamers. Then the next slice is gamers who don't like games. Then the next slice are man-children that love cartoons, anime, and still use their imaginations like they are 6 year olds.

That is still a lot of people, in a 7.9 billion population world, but to make claims like this is the new world we ALL are going to be living in is seriously delusional. It is a babysitting playground for unemployed, weed smokers, to escape from reality.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Holy hell, that's some "journalism".

press-x-to-doubt-la-noir-original-meme-template.jpg

Publics are cancer for sure but in the few instances I've seen where kids were around people looked after them. Lots of gamer words for sure though. There's a reason you very rarely see people stream publics on twitch.

There's a bit of a tech barrier as well as the vid I posted earlier mentions that most kids get in through quest. Quest users can't even see the really elaborate avatars.

Parents really shouldn't let kids on VRChat but it's not like it is a phone where you can see what they are running.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how good this will be but being a huge Twilight Zone fan (The old ones and I didn't mind the movie) - May be worth checking out on Quest 2. Comes out Thursday the 14th.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Okay I fully admit to being a parachuter and not reading the whole thread, I am interested in VR but never had the space for it so I haven't kept up in years. I'm curious for the opinion of those who follow this stuff more closely than I.

I am about to get an outbuilding roughly 20x20. I'm gonna have some stuff in it but it will also have some space for me to use a VR set. I would like to have like the clothesline set up so I can move around, but I don't know that I want/need to spend a lot for the mobility part unless there's some kind of gamechanger thing I would need. Probably can't afford those starship chair setups either, although, dayum.

I guess what I'm asking is for general opinions and tips from what VR set to think about, to suggestions for setting up the room or anything else that might be useful to know before I get into this mess. Thanks guys.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Okay I fully admit to being a parachuter and not reading the whole thread, I am interested in VR but never had the space for it so I haven't kept up in years. I'm curious for the opinion of those who follow this stuff more closely than I.

I am about to get an outbuilding roughly 20x20. I'm gonna have some stuff in it but it will also have some space for me to use a VR set. I would like to have like the clothesline set up so I can move around, but I don't know that I want/need to spend a lot for the mobility part unless there's some kind of gamechanger thing I would need. Probably can't afford those starship chair setups either, although, dayum.

I guess what I'm asking is for general opinions and tips from what VR set to think about, to suggestions for setting up the room or anything else that might be useful to know before I get into this mess. Thanks guys.
Honestly, if you do not mind the Facebook stuff, the Quest 2 is really where it is at. Great resolution, wireless, you create your own play space by spray painting the lines on the ground in whatever room you happen to go in (Or outside even) and you are not tethered in any way, shape, or form. With the virtual desktop app, you can also play all Steam VR games on your PC. I do this wirelessly through an Alien Amplifi router and it works very well - So you can play games like Half Life Alyx and have access to that entire library.

Also, the thing is just drop down affordable for what it is.

I would also recommend the headstrap with extra battery (Or at least the head strap)
I have the headstrap by itself as usually after 2 hours or so I am done playing in VR. But the extra battery here will make for longer playing sessions if you are different.

All in all, you just cannot beat the quality of VR for the price especially since you can use Virtual Desktop for Steam VR games.

Setup for room scale VR is just so much easier with this thing - and you can take it anywhere. Want to make your play space a football field? Literally download the games to your Quest 2 and create the largest free roam space ever outside and it works just fine (Although you might get laughed at)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Great to know, thanks Ut!

I can afford pretty much anything I want, within reason, so cost, while a factor, is not my most limiting one.

So Steam VR is not as good as Quest 2 and nothing just on the immediate horizon that might displace it?

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Honestly, if you do not mind the Facebook stuff, the Quest 2 is really where it is at. Great resolution, wireless, you create your own play space by spray painting the lines on the ground in whatever room you happen to go in (Or outside even) and you are not tethered in any way, shape, or form. With the virtual desktop app, you can also play all Steam VR games on your PC. I do this wirelessly through an Alien Amplifi router and it works very well - So you can play games like Half Life Alyx and have access to that entire library.

Also, the thing is just drop down affordable for what it is.

I would also recommend the headstrap with extra battery (Or at least the head strap)
I have the headstrap by itself as usually after 2 hours or so I am done playing in VR. But the extra battery here will make for longer playing sessions if you are different.

All in all, you just cannot beat the quality of VR for the price especially since you can use Virtual Desktop for Steam VR games.

Setup for room scale VR is just so much easier with this thing - and you can take it anywhere. Want to make your play space a football field? Literally download the games to your Quest 2 and create the largest free roam space ever outside and it works just fine (Although you might get laughed at)
yeah but how is it for pron?

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Great to know, thanks Ut!

I can afford pretty much anything I want, within reason, so cost, while a factor, is not my most limiting one.

So Steam VR is not as good as Quest 2 and nothing just on the immediate horizon that might displace it?

So, I have not been paying much attention to the Quest 3 or other room scale set ups like Vive, etc. Looks like Quest 3 might be fall of 2023. But you really cannot beat the freedom of the device and the price and ease of set up. I played other room based systems and I couldn't tell the difference aside from what I would save in the wallet :)

One thing Valve VR has over Quest 2 is an extra 41 degrees FOV. However, Quest 2 has higher resolution per eye. Back before Virtual Desktop and having full access to stream the Steam Library in VR over your Router, I would say Steam - but since you would have access to that library with Virtual Desktop, I think the clear winner is Quest 2.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'd get a quest 2 as well and see how much you really like VR. its cheap, works SUPER simple, they are removing the facebook login shit required in august so you can just login with a seperate VR account (no idea what the fuck that means tbh) and since its wireless its really easy to use sitting or standing. Visuals arent as great as HTC VIve but its so much easier to use and setup.

if you REALLY love it, then you can think about PSVR2 (coming in the next 12 months) or whatever the latest high end hardware is, there is a LOT of stuff in the works right now due out in the next 6-12 months so buying a super high end VR headset is a mistake imo, like buying a 30xx card right when the 40xx cards are due out. There hasn't been a massive hardware leap in over 18 months now so we are due for big improvements.

fwiw I have a quest 2, i haven't turned it on in 4 months. I just prefer gaming in front of a TV, VR gaming is really cool but end of the day... meh. Its a fun thing to bring out when family together but after a few times most people just would prefer playing mario kart against other people without any fancy shit

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
yeah i'd get a quest 2 as well and see how much you really like VR. its cheap, works SUPER simple, they are removing the facebook login shit required in august so you can just login with a seperate VR account (no idea what the fuck that means tbh) and since its wireless its really easy to use sitting or standing.

Requiring a Facebook login was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen a company do. Everyone I knew IRL that had one sold it off before that started (Including myself).

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users