Waikiki Hawaii.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So my wife, daughter and I were going to take our first cruise. We looked it over and found one we really wanted to take. It was going to be a great time. My wife's parents are recently retired, and they're traveling all over the world. I thought it might be a good idea to ask if they would like to join us on the cruise. I don't speak Japanese, so it's not like they're a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. Plus, realistically, they would make this less expensive anyway. My wife's dad loves to pay for shit, so if we decided to do ANY of the excursions and stuff, he'll gladly put out the cash. I try to pay around him, and he gets annoyed. Oh well, if you have it, why not.

Anyway, we spoke to them about this cruise for a little over a week, and right before we finally booked our tickets, they came back that they've been thinking about visiting Hawaii, and maybe we should go there instead. Price was definitely an issue, so we quickly said no. Their response was to pay the same we would for the cruise, and they would cover the rest. Win. So yeah, I'm going to Hawaii from November 29th through December 6th.

We're staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach Village Resort (god damn is that a long name). It should be a lot of fun. Outside of touring Pearl Harbor, taking the Lost tour, and generally just enjoying the island, what other things would you guys suggest that I try to take in while I'm there?

Any suggestions are helpful. Also, great places to eat? Thanks!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Go to the North shore for the surfing or to watch. Diamonhead is also pretty neat and a very nice view, just make sure you bring some water with because the climb. There is a little food court that has Japanese food and othe Asian food near waikiki beach near the Outrigger Reef on the Beach hotel.

I'll see if i can remember anything else later today.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My friend actually just recently got married at the Hilton on Waikiki. I stayed at the Hale Koa next door which is military-only but costs about 1/3 what the Hilton runs.

The zoo on/near Waikiki is pretty good and I'm sure your daughter would like it.

Diamond Head is probably the most famous hike on Oahu and should be do-able for your daughter (not sure on her age) since it is paved about halfway up then becomes unpaved but relatively easy. There are old bunkers up there from WW2 era.

If you're looking for snorkeling there is a spot (I think you probably need a boat, though) where you can routinely swim with sea turtles. I forget the actual name but it is near the bend at the south of Waikiki by that pretty famous indoor pool the famous Hawaiian swimmer used to train.

Its a great island. Hilton is pretty cool because it has an attached shopping center as well with an ABC for all your booze related needs and snacks and things of that nature.

As for eating the best place I went was Roy's but it was expensive. I think all told for my wife and myself it was over $100 -- I think closer to $150. But it was delicious. I went to Ramen Nakamura as well which was really good. That is about maybe a 15-20m walk from the Hilton. It is in the expansive shopping district on Waikiki.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just get this blue guide book
Oahu Revealed: The Ultimate Guide to Honolulu, Waikiki Beyond: Andrew Doughty, Leona Boyd: 9780983888703: Amazon.com: Books

They basically pillage the entire island for all the best spots, they also have an app you pay a few bucks for if you want to go that way instead, not bad it links w/ gmaps/waze really easily so you can just click and go.

are you gonna rent a car? last time i went to o ahu i actually walked and took all public transportation, actually worked pretty well, just d/l the apps for the bus schedules. I'm guessing your in laws are japanese? well waikiki is like japan town for them, they'll love it. ONE thing i would suggest is if they can act NOT japanese would be best if you're buying souvenirs, those dirty Hawaiians seem to LOVE Japanese Tourists since they buy anything, they'll be "konnichiwa" all day long w/ your in-laws if you let that happen.

Events happening while on Oahu for a Hawaii vacation. | Hawaii Revealed

also you do know Pearl Harbor is the 7th?

Diamond head is a pretty nice way to spend the morning, i'd go early to avoid lots of ppl, it's not a bad hike, some parts you'll have to slow down for the inlaws.
iolani palace was ok, it was just 2 floors, for a palace, it was bleh, but it is the only Palace on US soil, i think there was something about a big ass red carpet.
polynesian cultural center wasn't bad to waste a day, kinda like a theme park to look at Somoans climbing trees and husking coconuts, they probably have the best Luau show, the food was bleh (as most luau's basically buffet hawaiian), but if you want to experience a Luau, it should be from here.

it's also best to buy your own snorkel if you plan to do that, since renting cheap ones is the same price anyway.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Spending 2 weeks in hawaii split up evenly between kuaui poipu breach, lahaina maui, and waikoloa on hawaii.

These names may as well be french I can't keep shit straight, hoping the old lady has everything lined up.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I just got back from a week in Waikiki, it was pretty dope! Make sure to check out Nicco's 38 if you like fish. The fish market is right next door and it's the freshest seafood I've ever had, try the poke!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
lived on Oahu for a few years,

i suggest snorkeling at either Three Tables or Shark's Cove (no actual sharks) they are touristy but not as packed Hanama(sp?) Bay.

The Kona Brewery has a fantastic view and jet ski rentals right outside. they are governed so dont plan on going too fast.

The Lost Tour is fun but a bit expensive.

The hilton has a Luau every friday with fireworks but if you want a more "authentic" one try turtle cove it has a fantastic show and the prices were reasonable.

remember that there is a lot of theft in Hawaii and some of the locals aren't big fans of visitors. My wife's purse was grabbed at the mall until the dude tripped and got a knee to the back of his neck until the cops arrived, and i cant count the amount of times ive heard of people leaving items in bags near the shore to come back with it missing. Hawaii is a beautiful place, just be careful with your belongings.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea w/ hawaii i was told by my b&b lady to leave nothing in your rental car and trunk and to NOT lock the doors. This way thieves can check your car out, pop the trunk and move on to the next car. If you didn't do this your likely hood of windows smashed is high. Being from NY this did not sound logical to me, but she's had to deal w/ tons of tourists who come back w/ a broken window in their rental, so i just followed her advice.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Go to Sandy's and try not to get killed by the breakers on the shoreline.

Tenks

yea w/ hawaii i was told by my b&b lady to leave nothing in your rental car and trunk and to NOT lock the doors. This way thieves can check your car out, pop the trunk and move on to the next car. If you didn't do this your likely hood of windows smashed is high. Being from NY this did not sound logical to me, but she's had to deal w/ tons of tourists who come back w/ a broken window in their rental, so i just followed her advice.
I generally did the same when I had to commute downtown for college. If some homeless dude really wants the 75 cents I have laying around my car I'd prefer he just takes it from my unlocked car instead of taking it and also smashing my window.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I haven't checked this thread in a while, after making it. Thanks so much for all of the ideas. Regarding snorkeling, my wife and I are both certified divers. Do you know of a "great" SCUBA site we might consider going to?

When it comes to the inlaws acting less Japanese, that isn't going to happen. Fortunately, I'm a home grown Pennsylvanian white guy, so I can be the American guy that's needed.

Tenks

You'll stick out more than a Japanese mega tourist. They're everywhere. Like thousands per bus.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We ended up buying that book, Oahu Revealed. Thanks Ianx. Lots of good info in there.
follow my advice and get the app too for a few bucks, cuz that app integrates really well w/ google maps to take you there, PLUS you do NOT want to flash that blue book around, locals will hate you.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Haha, no problem. I can understand. Locals seem to hate outsiders that want to experience the life of a native. Shame that they aren't cool.