War with Syria

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Obama takes--and I quote--twenty million dollar vacations to Highway? Capital 'H'.

What the fuck does that mean? Can someone translate?

iannis

Musty Nester
I'll stick to just nitpicking this - just as an FYI, there's already a war in Syria in case you didn't notice, so it isn't like Obama is'trying to start a a war'there lol. Also AFAIK he is stopping Bush's wars (though doubtless not as quickly as most would like), and even at his worst I don't remember Obama ever saying that he wanted to go beyond some sort of strikes from a distance. If you or others choose to believe that he was secretly gunning for BoTG then that's really your paranoia speaking.

If I had to choose between a President lying about WMD in order to move us from war #1 to war #2 and then hopelessly miring us into it so deeply that it would take us years to pull out, and a President who made a gaffe about 'red lines', only ever intended strikes and now has to settle for Syria voluntarily giving up it's chemical weapons and the US not being involved in that entire Syrian civil war shitshow...yeah, I think I know which one I'd choose.

Obama is nowhere near the president I'd hoped for and there is a lot to criticize him for, but some people are blowing this shit out of proportion simply so it conforms to personal bias.
And just to nitpick this point -- Did you miss the part where he said no boots on the ground in a public address and then a few days later asked for boots on the ground to remain an option? Or did you just forget that he actually did that and it's not an invention of bias and paranoia that part of the threat was a greater involvment than "tossing a few air strikes from a distance"?

I get what you and Soy are saying, and the weird thing is that I actually think he handled it as properly as he could. He didn't commit the aggression that he threatened to. But you don't get POINTS for that. That's rank intimidation and an incredibly poor sort of diplomacy. It's poor not for some moral or poli-sci reason, but because it's ineffective. Assad (and by extension Russia) are already trying to change the terms of the "understanding". I doubt they'll have to try too hard.

Obama completely fucked up, man. That was some North Korea style shit.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its time. Impeach Obama. and then impeach Biden the next day

And just to nitpick this point -- Did you miss the part where he said no boots on the ground in a public address and then a few days later asked for boots on the ground to remain an option? Or did you just forget that he actually did that and it's not an invention of bias and paranoia that part of the threat was a greater involvment than "tossing a few air strikes from a distance"?
Dude. I have no clue wtf you're talking about. This is how things have unfolded from my understanding:

• Obama sends Congress a draft resolution asking for military force. This first draft was extremely open ended. It had no deadline, no limitations on force, and no prohibitions on whether or not there will be boots on the ground. Meanwhile, Obama publicly insists that there will be no boots on the ground, and the strike will be limited to specific, targeted strikes.
  • Kerry goes before Congress and, ironically, flip flops on the issue of boots on the ground, suggesting that troops might be needed to secure chemical weapons if the country becomes unstable.
  • This gets everyone nervous, and Kerry flops again, insisting no boots on the ground.
  • The first draft resolution is amended, adding in limits such as a time limit (60 days, with an option for another 30 days, which equals to 90 days -- the same as the 90 days required in the War Powers resolution. Coincidence ? I think not) andspecifically prohibits putting boots on the ground.
  • Before the resolution goes to a vote, Putin floats the idea of Syria giving up their chemical weapons, based on Kerry's statements to Congress (or flub ?). And that's where we are today.

So yea. In regards to the original authorization to use force, the only force authorized would be a few missiles here and a few bombs there. That doesn't preclude the possibility of boots on the ground later if the situation warranted it -- which would require another authorization from Congress. But in regards to the authorization that Obama was seeking AT THAT MOMENT, it was only for a targeted strike, nothing more. Had he been given the green light by Congress, that authorization would not have included the ability to send in ground troops.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its time. Impeach Obama. and then impeach Biden the next day
President Boehner!
B000589.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
He walked right up to that President Biden line and then backed away from it.

Not that he'd be impeached. He could nuke Iran and no one would impeach him. He might have to fend off some Chinese and Russian assassins, but not Congress.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
To impeach a president, you need legal grounds to do so. You can impeach a president because you don't like his decision making.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I just don't equate wanting to leave the option open, with wanting to actually put people in Syria. That argument just seems nonsensical to me, and situations do tend to change over time. And I don't agree with a lot of people on what exactly BoTG means; sending extraction teams to pick pilots up isn't BoTG, and the hypothetical situation of possibly sending in teams to secure Syrian chemical weapons in the case they might fall into the "wrong" hands (wrong meaning"awww fuck where'd all that shit go?") isn't BoTG either. To me BoTG is actual combat forces being deployed - whether for combat or some sort of occupation.

That's rank intimidation and an incredibly poor sort of diplomacy. It's poor not for some moral or poli-sci reason, but because it's ineffective. Assad (and by extension Russia) are already trying to change the terms of the "understanding". I doubt they'll have to try too hard.
It's asinine to expect any nation not to use threats, ever, particularly the large powers. Think back to Georgia, and Russia warning what would set them off. That was a threat too, but /shrug. I would agree that you shouldn't make threats if you aren't prepared to follow through on them, but I think they simply miscalculated the public's support (both domestic and abroad) and had to backpeddle. Presidents have done far worse than this, and we should be happy that instead of creating more evidence out of whole cloth to drum up support for strikes, that they were actually willing to back down and take a second look at what people thought.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
As an employee of the DoD there was a lot of hate that Obama was on his 100 million African vaction with his his family, including his extended family while we were being furloughed thanks to the sequestration idea he thought of. Obama is the Lane Kiffin of presidents.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Also AFAIK he is stopping Bush's wars
To Erronius and everyone else. Please don't lump Afghanistan and Iraq together when making arguments.

Afghanistan was a justifiable war - if a government is sheltering the guy who orchestrated the death of 3,000+ of your citizens you get to go in with "boots on the ground" as well as missiles in the air and remove that government in your quest to find that guy.

Afghanistan is what one uses as a modern standard for "justifiable war". Compare this to Iraq, sure Saddam tried to kill Bush Sr., but that doesn't mean you go in with boots on the ground, it means you task the CIA with assassinating Saddam in response.

Edit: And to be clear, Bush's biggest fuckup was using Osama and the authorization for the use of force to go into Afghanistan as a justification/authorization to go after Saddam and Iraq (#2 was Patriot Act/expansion of NSA).

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
To Erronius and everyone else. Please don't lump Afghanistan and Iraq together when making arguments.

Afghanistan was a justifiable war - if a government is sheltering the guy who orchestrated the death of 3,000+ of your citizens you get to go in with "boots on the ground" as well as missiles in the air and remove that government in your quest to find that guy.

Afghanistan is what one uses as a modern standard for "justifiable war". Compare this to Iraq, sure Saddam tried to kill Bush Sr., but that doesn't mean you go in with boots on the ground, it means you task the CIA with assassinating Saddam in response.

Edit: And to be clear, Bush's biggest fuckup was using Osama and the authorization for the use of force to go into Afghanistan as a justification/authorization to go after Saddam and Iraq (#2 was Patriot Act/expansion of NSA).
The Pentagon never found evidence to tie Saddam to that bomb plot.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
To impeach a president, you need legal grounds to do so. You can impeach a president because you don't like his decision making.
Actually you can just impeach him for that. I know TECHNICALLY you'd think the wording would keep that from happening, but the Supreme Court found it hasnooversight in terms of whether a Senate's impeachment hearing was justified or done properly. So the Congress is completely open to it's interpretation of what constitute "high crimes and misdemeanors", and is also open to render any decision they choose, with no interference from a higher or separate authority. They could label the crime "Subversion of national security through unreasonable and reckless aggression against a foreign entity", or some other bullshit--it's really up to them. Congress is, by far, the most powerful branch--but it's not a unified institution, so it's powers are rarely brought to bear like the Executives can be.