War with Syria

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
well you can get conspiratorial and say it's oil, central banking driven, globalism, ect ect.

or maybe it's Clintonian; remember Clinton did missile attacks on Iraq around the time of the Monica Lewinsky/impeachment scandal and many people seemed to think it was politically motivated to give the press something else to talk about than scandals at home.

Distraction from Clinton impeachment scandal:

Some critics of the Clinton administration expressed concern over the timing of Operation Desert Fox. The four-day bombing campaign occurred at the same time the U.S. House of Representatives was conducting the impeachment hearing of President Clinton.

Clinton was impeached on December 19, the last day of the bombing campaign. A few months earlier, similar criticism was leveled during Operation Infinite Reach, wherein missile strikes were ordered against suspected terrorist bases in Sudan and Afghanistan, on August 20. The missile strikes began three days after Clinton was called to testify before a grand jury during the Lewinsky scandal and his subsequent nationally televised address later that evening in which Clinton admitted having an inappropriate relationship.

The Operation Infinite Reach attacks became known as "Monica's War" among TV news people, due to the timing. ABC-TV announced to all stations that there would be a special report following Lewinsky's testimony before Congress, then the special report was pre-empted by the report of the missile attacks. The combination of the timing of that attack and Operation Desert Fox led to accusations of a Wag the Dog situation.
Wag the Dog. Terrible movie.

Well, terrible other than the part where Woody Harrelson sees the farmer's daughter's vagina when she bends over to pick vegetables, and how he loses his shit over it. I had a laff.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There's a million and one "reasons" why our country does what it does, but in the end, it's not the why, but the end result. We keep coming up with excuses to why we have to do this or that, but in end, our choice is always pro-military, pro-corporations and very much against the wishes of the people.
Except that the Syrian excursion is bad for everyone. Not just us folks.

Let's do it by the numbers shall we?

Who are Syria's Allies? Russia and Iran

Who are Iran's Allies? China and Hezbollah

What is the worst that could happen if we bomb Syria?

Iran bombs Israel with the help of Hezbollah

What is the worst that could happen if Iran bombs Israel with the help of Hezbollah?

Israel bombs Iran

What is the worst that could happen if Israel bombs Iran?

Israel takes out Iran's oil shipping ability

What is the worst that could happen if Israel takes out Iran's oil shipping capability?

China gets really pissed since it just lost 25% of its oil imports.

What happens when China gets pissed?

Trade embargo against Israel and the US

What happens when China institutes a Trade Embargo?

Russia slaps a trade embargo against the EU

What happens when both China and Russia slap a trade embargo on the EU and US?

Great Depression II

Who is hurt the least in Great Depression II?

Russia and China

Who is hurt the most in Great Depression II?

Latin America, Africa, Middle-East, Various countries in the EU, Lots of People and Coproration in North America.

What are the results of GD II?

Euro Collapse.
EU Collapse
Poverty.

That's the downside. Now what's the upside again?
We are all gamers on this thread when you are considering a course of action you consider both the downside and upside (risk/reward). I think I've outlined the worst case scenario risk, I'd like to know the best case scenario reward.

Anyone? Bueler?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm hmm...

West strikes Syria
Iran/Russia/China Retaliate
the West cocks over Syria and Iran and takes their oil
China loses cheap oil and loses its ability to export goods as cheaply
US picks up the slack by using hispanic labor
Tuco is crowned emporer of the hispanics

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Hmm hmm...

West strikes Syria
Which goods are these? China + Russia control 95% of Rare Earth metals. We're not even allowed to make lightbubls in this country (only LED bulbs allowed and those are so mercury contaminated we have China make them so they can kill their own people instead of ours). Etc.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Hmm hmm...

West strikes Syria
Logistically, we cant make a dent if they bow up without some d-day shit going down. I also wouldnt put it past anyone to start targeting satellites.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Except that the Syrian excursion is bad for everyone. Not just us folks.

Let's do it by the numbers shall we?

Who are Syria's Allies? Russia and Iran

Who are Iran's Allies? China and Hezbollah

What is the worst that could happen if we bomb Syria?

Iran bombs Israel with the help of Hezbollah

What is the worst that could happen if Iran bombs Israel with the help of Hezbollah?

Israel bombs Iran

What is the worst that could happen if Israel bombs Iran?

Israel takes out Iran's oil shipping ability

What is the worst that could happen if Israel takes out Iran's oil shipping capability?

China gets really pissed since it just lost 25% of its oil imports.

What happens when China gets pissed?

Trade embargo against Israel and the US

What happens when China institutes a Trade Embargo?

Russia slaps a trade embargo against the EU

What happens when both China and Russia slap a trade embargo on the EU and US?

Great Depression II

Who is hurt the least in Great Depression II?

Russia and China

Who is hurt the most in Great Depression II?

Latin America, Africa, Middle-East, Various countries in the EU, Lots of People and Coproration in North America.

What are the results of GD II?

Euro Collapse.
EU Collapse
Poverty.

That's the downside. Now what's the upside again?
We are all gamers on this thread when you are considering a course of action you consider both the downside and upside (risk/reward). I think I've outlined the worst case scenario risk, I'd like to know the best case scenario reward.

Anyone? Bueler?
Past your fourth one, things get a bit too Tom Clancy for me, even if it's a "worse case scenario". Even, I could fantasy dream up something far worse...

There is no best case here, just values of shit from slightly shitty to Shitpocalypse 2013.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
tad's post is like six degrees of Kevin Bacon but the thermo-nuclear war/world domination version

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So are you guys saying I could be the hispanic emperor?
Works for me if I can be a sycophant in your court, and by 'sycophant' I mean 'parasite who gets to eat the food gathered and cooked by your minions without doing one damn thing.'

Also @Warhead, I don't think Nuclear Apocalypse is in anyone's interest so it isn't a worst case scenario. I do think a trade embargo by China/Russia would be in China/Russia's interest if we go too far down the Syrian rabbit hole.

Sure it fucks up the lower class in China & Russia as much as it does our middle to lower class here, but is less bothersome than a mosquito sting to Chinese/Russia elites/rulers compared to the shit storm Congress & Obama will see here. Plus they get to put the blame on all the suffering of the peasants on the warmongering US. Win/Win.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Past your fourth one, things get a bit too Tom Clancy for me, even if it's a "worse case scenario". Even, I could fantasy dream up something far worse...

There is no best case here, just values of shit from slightly shitty to Shitpocalypse 2013.
I prefer the term Holo-poca-caust-alypse for situations that dire.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Hmm hmm...

West strikes Syria

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Tuco, is your Mexican wife not enough to boss around?

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97S0YB20130829

Well, now we have something solid indicating no Assad-directed use of chemical weapons.

US's response:
tumblr_mcqqjl2ayx1qfjvxvo1_500.jpg