WarCraft (2016)

Siliconemelons

Some of you guys are acting like this movie should have been the next Lord of the Rings as far as production and cgi goes. I never expected perfect realistic cgi in the warcraft movie from the moment I heard they were making a movie. It's obvious the environment of the world would make it nearly impossible to make it true to life. I enjoy the bright colors used and obvious grander than life aesthetic they used for the movie.

As far as story, well your going to lose alot in translation to the big screen. Some things are going to have to be cut while some are going to be added. Take Durotan for instance. In the original story he never trusted Guldan and his clan (Frostwolf) refused to take part of the power he offered. Other clans did which is why the orcs turned green. From the Fel energy that the Demon Mannoroth had instilled into the horde. I'm sure we will see Gul'Dan offer a path to power in the movie but may not see any demons directly involved. Since Gul'Dan always kept that a secret to the end.

Eitherway I'm looking forward to it. With the lack of good hardcore fantasy movies I'm anticipating watching the movie just for the visuals.
Or... Blizzard wanted to make a RTS game with Humans vs. Orcs that are invading and trying to take over an kill everyone, and orcs are green, duh.

wait...we have to make 'good' orcs? make them a different color!

Sorry.. I just cant take anything Warcraft lore related seriously or think of it having any type of consistent history, rules etc. and because of that I do not care about any characters, locations, civilizations, nations etc. as its all fluff that's thrown in to meet whatever at the moment need there is for whatever whim a writer, dev or executive is on at the moment- mostly the same reason I do not like (even as a kid) comic books.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Way too many serious people in this thread. It's a silly, fun, fantasy action movie. Just enjoy it for what it is. I will be seeing this in theaters for sure.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
If this does do well I am wondering what the chances of a TV show set in azeroth are.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can't imagine this not doing well, just because of all the younger kids who play WoW now and of course everyone who had never heard of warcraft until WoW so they have no idea of the premise of the RTS games.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The trailer looked promising, I don't mind the CGI and they have time to smooth down the details. It's a movie about Warcraft, it looks like Warcraft in a Warcraft setting, so I'm going to see it because I like Warcraft...

Not sure why people are expecting a mind-blowing 9 Oscar movie out of this. It's Warcraft..

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
This sentiment is why this movie (from the trailer footage) is giving people a hard time. Let me change what you just wrote to a movie that came out in '99.

The trailer looked promising, I don't mind the CGI and they have time to smooth down the details. It's a movie about Star Wars, it looks like Star Wars in a Star Wars setting, so I'm going to see it because I like Star Wars...

Not sure why people are expecting a mind-blowing 9 Oscar movie out of this. It's Star Wars..
When you make a movie with an established IP you have to have passion for it. Otherwise you end up with the Phantom Menace. Do I think they worked hard on this? Sure. So did Lucasfilm. So why does TPM suck?

Sterling

El Presidente
This sentiment is why this movie (from the trailer footage) is giving people a hard time. Let me change what you just wrote to a movie that came out in '99.

When you make a movie with an established IP you have to have passion for it. Otherwise you end up with the Phantom Menace. Do I think they worked hard on this? Sure. So did Lucasfilm. So why does TPM suck?
Does anyone have even remotely similar expectations that they did for TPM? I certainly hope not.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider

Star Wars was an established franchise of MOVIES. Acclaimed movies, loved by millions worldwide. The Phantom Menace sucks yes, as a Star Wars movie. There are, literally, tens of thousands of movies worse on all levels than The Phantom Menace. But people, including myself, hate it because it's an unworthy sequel, after twenty years of waiting, and we felt "betrayed" by it.

Warcraft, on the other hand, is also an established franchise, but it's a video game, based on three successful RTS and a massively popular MMO. It's apples and oranges, man. There's been like 2 or 3 decent video game movies in literally decades, so I'm not putting as much hope into it as in a sequel to one of the most popular movie franchises in the history of cinema. Nor am I expecting the same level of quality or entertainment.

khorum

Murder Apologist
LOL no the expectations are drawn from WoW's own cinematics, some of which are over a decade old.

If you feel that what you've seen from the trailers are as representative of your experience of Warcraft as much as WoW's own cinematics have been, then that's fine. You'll prolly enjoy the movie.

But for folks who were expecting a movie that was a response to what their fans have been telling them since they started saying"Those cinematics are great, you guys should just make a movie", then the trailers fall short.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the teaser trailer from warcraft 3 with the burning legion is still done very well. it's pretty dated but you get the feel of what's going very well. On one hand, you want to just say, hey, whoever directed those cinematics should be directing the movie! problem is, the producers and the share holders are the ones who pick the trailers based on whatever footage is available. now, if you get an established directed/writer they'll have some pull in what goes in, but you're kidding yourself if you think the current trend of "show the entire plot in the trailer" is the idea of the director or the writer.

point is, there's been plenty of great trailers for terrible movies and vice versa. i'm INCREDIBLY hesitant about the movie but i'm not putting it up to an impossible standard

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'm not comparing Warcraft to Star Wars, just expectations. And you can very well blame TPM for why the vast majority of nerds like us are so bitter every time a new movie, TV show, or game comes out. We have nerd trust issues and we compare everything to the original. WoW has some good lore and unique visuals. We want that in the movie. But to me, all I see when Mediv is running up those mystical stairs is Ewan MacGregor running up a set of green blocks in front of a green sheet.

Leon

<Silver Donator>

Not sure if this was posted since I haven't checked the thread in a bit. Anyway. My eyes must be going bad with age cause that shit didn't look as bad as people here make it out to be.
Shrug, i'll see it for 5 bucks on a Saturday morning, why the fuck not?

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>

Not sure if this was posted since I haven't checked the thread in a bit. Anyway. My eyes must be going bad with age cause that shit didn't look as bad as people here make it out to be.
Shrug, i'll see it for 5 bucks on a Saturday morning, why the fuck not?
On the whole it wasnt terrible, but the thing with bad CGI is that can be overpowering. When the trailer went to the scene with the Orc baby, it tainted the whole trailer, thats how bad the CGI in that scene was.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The trailer looked promising, I don't mind the CGI and they have time to smooth down the details. It's a movie about Warcraft, it looks like Warcraft in a Warcraft setting, so I'm going to see it because I like Warcraft...

Not sure why people are expecting a mind-blowing 9 Oscar movie out of this. It's Warcraft..
because the WoW trailers have established a high standard of quality for the product. this movie trailer doesnt even compare to trailers from 10 years ago. thats why. nobody is expecting 9 Oscar animation, but we ARE expecting quality thats equal or even better than the newest of WoW trailers. blizzard wants our money so they pulled all the stops in trying to draw us in with those incredible cinematic trailers. these guys still want our money, but they pulled minimum stops beause they dont "get" the IP. they just think that if put shit in a box with a name brand that idiots will still buy it. nope. fuck that.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

That movie grossed over a billion dollars..

Siliconemelons

the teaser trailer from warcraft 3 with the burning legion is still done very well. it's pretty dated but you get the feel of what's going very well. On one hand, you want to just say, hey, whoever directed those cinematics should be directing the movie! problem is, the producers and the share holders are the ones who pick the trailers based on whatever footage is available. now, if you get an established directed/writer they'll have some pull in what goes in, but you're kidding yourself if you think the current trend of "show the entire plot in the trailer" is the idea of the director or the writer.

point is, there's been plenty of great trailers for terrible movies and vice versa. i'm INCREDIBLY hesitant about the movie but i'm not putting it up to an impossible standard
The WC3 Teaser trailer imo set a vibe that was IMO totally missed by the entire game... the orig WC3 teaser seemed to set up something and then the actual game and lore took a total turn into the mess upon messes that we have now for "lore"

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Are we thinking about the same teaser? The one where the human and the orc are fighting and then the infernal crashes down and kills them? Because the game very much nailed that in several areas. It was about the mortal races banding together to fight the burning legion instead of each other. Continuing to fight amongst themselves would only bring destruction. The only way to win was to stop their petty squabbles and stand together. Which is what they did.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
i2uZkLB.jpg