Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
About time a Warhammer RPG happens. By Owlcat so likely in on day 1. 👍

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Owlcat can do no wrong when it comes to CRPGs. They are doing their best impression of Black Isle/BioWare circa 1998-2004 or so.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Wtf is a crpg?
We're all old on this forum so can only assume your Alzheimer's is kicking in.
1654160212295.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Glad to see the WH40k getting an RPG. It's one of the most untapped universes and so much media that comes from it is subpar. The premise of being a secret agent of the emperor on exploration missions is perfect.

CRPG is kind of a poor differentiator from RPGs when so many classic CRPGs are perfectly playable off the computer. "Story-driven, turn-based RPG" is a more accurate way to describe this kind of game, but that's a lot harder to communicate than "CRPG".

Here are some of my favorite Computer RPGs:

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Editions pour Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editions for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Glad to see the WH40k getting an RPG. It's one of the most untapped universes and so much media that comes from it is subpar. The premise of being a secret agent of the emperor on exploration missions is perfect.

CRPG is kind of a poor differentiator from RPGs when so many classic CRPGs are perfectly playable off the computer. "Story-driven, turn-based RPG" is a more accurate way to describe this kind of game, but that's a lot harder to communicate than "CRPG".

Here are some of my favorite Computer RPGs:

Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Editions pour Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Editions for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Disco Elysium - The Final Cut for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

This has a chance to be in the Torment level of story conversations in they are truly dedicated to the WH40k grimdark narrative. Can you imagine making a few innocuous and diologue choices and end up turning towards Chaos? Like choosing the 'I'm down to party' options that lead you to a pleasure party that decends into a Slanesshi demon summoning. Or what about a planet that seems above board and turns out to be run by a genestealer cult....but you can totally miss it if you don't explore. The possibilities are endless.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh shit, yes I did forget that format existed. I think I remember playing Baldur's Gate in the 90s? Is that right?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Omg this was the unannounced game by Owlcat? If this is anything similar to their Pathfinder series it will be awesome. I didn’t expect them to pick the Warhammer universe.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Well, I preordered it. I want there to be a massive surge of money behind WH40k RPG content. The more, the better until they fuck it up.

• 2Solidarity

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I'm usually in the "don't preorder" camp, but they've done well with kickstarters and both Pathfinder games. I know they'll be pretty buggy in the beginning the but the games ended up being pretty great all around.

It's also hard to find some pretty solid epic RPG storylines that hit a lot of the right notes.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I need to know that this particular OwlCat is on the project

unknown-213-1.png

I mean just look at him. More immersed than anyone, towering over the roastie next to him. True RPG master race. Glorious.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Definitely will pre-order here. I had a blast with Kingmaker and Wrath. I almost wish this was Warhammer Fantasy, but only because that is what I played back in the day.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That's my biggest complaint with Warhammer 40K is no RPG games, I'm happy to play this after Divinity 1 and 2.

• 2Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Trepid hope. Lets hope I'm not disappointed. Never played the Pathfinder games but everyone raves about them. BG1/2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape torment were the shit. Pillars series was also really good and I still haven't played 2 yet (one day I'll finish 1).

But the amount of fuck you lore in the 40k series that hasn't even been remotely touched upon in any form of media outside the tabletop and books is just criminal. They can do so much with this game in a true story telling RPG classic or CRPG or whatever you want to call it.

Alas with any 40k IP I know to temper expectations.

• 2Like