Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I find the premise of this game... odd.

You are the Rogue Trader granted sanction to do shit in the Emperor's Name because there needed to be a narrative explanation for a mismatched group of adventurers who are allowed to go do shit. That part is a conceit but one I can get behind easily enough.

What troubles me is this whole notion that you are the leader of all these planets with hundreds(thousands?) of followers on this monstrous ship alone and yet you are traipsing around bars chatting to weirdos and picking up side quests. Not to mention getting in firefights with all manners of heretics and xenos and shit.

Nija

<Silver Donator>

You are the Rogue Trader granted sanction to do shit in the Emperor's Name because there needed to be a narrative explanation for a mismatched group of adventurers who are allowed to go do shit. That part is a conceit but one I can get behind easily enough.

What troubles me is this whole notion that you are the leader of all these planets with hundreds(thousands?) of followers on this monstrous ship alone and yet you are traipsing around bars chatting to weirdos and picking up side quests. Not to mention getting in firefights with all manners of heretics and xenos and shit.
Don't think, just consume. Peasant.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

First you have problems with defeating the demon invasion in Pathfinder with Master Tripping skillz now this bro?

Are you a Fun Police Officer?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

This is 40k you got to bump those numbers up, they love huge numbers so probably billions of followers. Most fleets warships ships crew size is anywhere between 30k and 3 million with room for more.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This one does... 3 planets at the start and you get to colonize more while acting as the head of state for this small personal empire. But never mind that, lets hear this rando's sob story and go put yourself in harms way to fix their daddy issues.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Rogue Traders were usually very wealthy families that were looking to go from the 1% of owning a few planets and a fleet to defend them to the.001% of owning a whole subsector or more. Their problem was that all the known subsectors are already owned so they go to the Imperium and ask for a special writ that lets them go explore and conquer unknown territories in the name of the Imperium but really for themselves. It is canon that Roge Trader families are super loose with the Imperium's rules and if you really look under the top layer of loyalty to the Imperium nearly every one of them commits heresy all the time in order to further their, and by extension the Imperium's, reach.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Rogue Traders were usually very wealthy families that were looking to go from the 1% of owning a few planets and a fleet to defend them to the.001% of owning a whole subsector or more. Their problem was that all the known subsectors are already owned so they go to the Imperium and ask for a special writ that lets them go explore and conquer unknown territories in the name of the Imperium but really for themselves. It is canon that Roge Trader families are super loose with the Imperium's rules and if you really look under the top layer of loyalty to the Imperium nearly every one of them commits heresy all the time in order to further their, and by extension the Imperium's, reach.

So why wouldn't they just have the main character and their legion of misfit toys be a member of the family rather than the head of it?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There sure is a lot of heresy going on in here Qhue Qhue .

1670514608133.png

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

I mean, that's fair, but a game where you have your personal guard executing your majordomo for letting too many needy morons talk to you is *probably* not going to be as fun.

... actually now that I think about it :trollface:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So far the character I like the least is... the PC. The main dude himself is boring as fuck in terms of abilities.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bolok

Trakanon Raider
So far the character I like the least is... the PC. The main dude himself is boring as fuck in terms of abilities.
You're in the beta? How much of the game is there atm? Started eyeballing it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Alpha and yeah. Now it IS alpha so obviously lots of slack should be given and there does appear to be a substantial chunk of the game live, but they start you in 'Chapter 2' at level 15 and that results in you just having a fuckton of abilities, many of which are currently kinda stupid. I think I 'get' the combat system now, I just don't really like it. All the bad guys I fight are 20+ minions and during a normal round of combat each person can only shoot once unless they 'spray and pray' which is very inaccurate. Honestly if it wasn't for the two psykers and the tech priest I'd say the combat was the world turn-based combat system I'd played in recent memory. It still might be, but at least you get to do some interesting things with the heretics on the team.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
^ yeah I made a "Leader" first try and he sucked.

Rerolled as a Soldier with max Ballistics. Dude can murder like 6 guys a round when he builds up momentum for a combo.

Will definitely need to read some guides for this system because it's pretty complex.

Anyways game has a decent amount of content so far and isn't super bug ridden (as far as I've gotten).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
One thing I'm noticing with Owlcat about their CRPG design philosophy that's starting to become a little grating is how fucking overused "minions" or "trash" mobs are. It adds sooooo much tedium to a lot of their fights and this is now their 3rd game overusing the fuck out of that mechanic.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I actually welcomed trash mobs in both Pathfinders. It was free XP in RTWP my average combat length was like 20 seconds.

But yeah it might slow things down a bit in full turn-based. Good thing though is there are many ways to kill a lot of stuff per round even at the start of the game (so far).

Combat system overview:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Space Wolf looks like he is wearing Ultramarine armor. 0/10 definitely not fucking green enough.

Edit: Awesome that they have all 4 chaos factions represented in game.

Edit Edit: Was that Erebus? Also, June 1st Beta? I might not play just to savor it on release.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Space Wolf looks like he is wearing Ultramarine armor. 0/10 definitely not fucking green enough.

Edit: Awesome that they have all 4 chaos factions represented in game.

Edit Edit: Was that Erebus? Also, June 1st Beta? I might not play just to savor it on release.
Dang you got a shitty monitor

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users