Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I finally got it to work by using Edge and also despite what it says on their page you actually can use AMEX and not just MC/VISA. Not sure whether it was the browser or the card that fixed the problem, but it did finally go through.

Now the really hard part... deciding which platform to claim the key on. Was bad enough when I thought I just had to pick between Steam and GOG but now I see that it's actually releasing on Series X immediately too. I figured console versions would be delayed by months at least.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve never tried playing a crpg on a console with a controller. I’m not sure how smooth an experience it would be.

Vorph

I’ve never tried playing a crpg on a console with a controller. I’m not sure how smooth an experience it would be.
I've never tried Owlcat's games on console and I don't remember how well it worked in Pathfinder, but I'll likely use a controller for this even if I get it on PC. I've been defaulting to that for tactical games since at least XCOM 1, unless the controls are a totally unplayable abomination (like, say, BG3).

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

Shit talking about dirty fucking Cypriots aside, that review was fairly promising. Generally positive but not afraid to point out what he didn't like.

Kinda weird that he specifically called out the difficulty slope when that's so common in vidya games these days and from what little I've actually gotten through of Kingmaker seems to be there too (and I assume its similar in WotR).
I thought he was pretty negative honestly. He's generally pretty positive, and even he still calling out the bugs, and saying somethings wrong with act 3 in terms of story/progression.
He did say it was LESS buggy then kingmaker or wrath at launch. but still, I'd recommend waiting a bit.

the comment on inverse difficultly is interesting yeah. as, thats EVERY rpg pretty much. Theres very few that give you more options, and mechanics that don't end up with you being OP. its kindof part of the hero trip itself.

wrath of the righteous with a controller is pretty lulz. trying to navigate the menus and skills is insane.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On the difficulty thing its also proportional to your knowledge of the rule set they are using as well. If you know the shit and make banger builds that exploit the ruleset you will have an easy time. On the other hand if you dont know shit you will struggle throughout the whole game.

YttriumF

The Karenist Karen
<Silver Donator>
InEffect has some build recommendations posted. He is known for playing CRPG's on the highest difficulty settings ... my feeling is that he views them as "puzzles to be solved" as opposed to "games to be played".

Enjoyed following his guide on Pathfinder:WoTR

• 2Like

Vorph

Mortym has a guide up today too, likely the first of many. About 1.5 hours long, so I haven't had time to watch it yet, but he's probably played the release version more than just about anybody.

• 2Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Having no idea how this game system works makes leveling up something of a crapshoot. As with Pathfinder they do give you suggested talents to take, but those also seem quite weak compared to other options.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having no idea how this game system works makes leveling up something of a crapshoot.
I'm guessing it should be pretty easy to figure out relatively optimized builds on your own once you have an hour or two of combat under your belt, and from the sounds of it even the highest difficulty wont require the near-perfect min-maxing that it did in the Pathfinder games.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Made a hive world navy officer, gonna go the commander route and boost allies while staying at range. Making willpower the dump stat feels huge since I can just use fellowship, will keep y'all posted.

fellow.JPG

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm guessing it should be pretty easy to figure out relatively optimized builds on your own once you have an hour or two of combat under your belt, and from the sounds of it even the highest difficulty wont require the near-perfect min-maxing that it did in the Pathfinder games.

Yeah I'm not too worried that I'm not min-maxing but I would like to get a better feel for whether or not I'm making really boneheaded choices. I'm running a registered psyker and a few of the psyker talents sound like they are amazing, but it's hard to be sure. So far his actual pyromancy skill is feeble as fuck compared to using the lightning staff. Idira, on the other hand, melts faces with her telepathic blast.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Yeah I'm not too worried that I'm not min-maxing but I would like to get a better feel for whether or not I'm making really boneheaded choices. I'm running a registered psyker and a few of the psyker talents sound like they are amazing, but it's hard to be sure. So far his actual pyromancy skill is feeble as fuck compared to using the lightning staff. Idira, on the other hand, melts faces with her telepathic blast.
Fire add debuffs and ignores cover? Also you can respec everything by talking to Jarnis Danroc.
My only negative so far is the ingame models are very low poly and ugly as fuck…

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
For anyone confused, Dogmatic is zealot like crusader, Ironclast is probably the "good guy" play through, and heretical is shifting to chaos which isn't worse than dogmatic when it comes to choices.

Vorph

Sounds like dogmatic and iconoclast both have good perks, while heretic doesn't have much and going down that path locks you out of other stuff as well.

Bunch of reports on reddit of skills not working properly/at all too. Yay.

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sounds like dogmatic and iconoclast both have good perks, while heretic doesn't have much and going down that path locks you out of other stuff as well.

Yeah saving heretical for second play through, hoping the equipment you can use is awesome.
Got to my first major choice…it was all grey and I stared at all 5 options for a solid 10 minutes. No idea if what I picked was a good idea but guessing each one would bite me in its own way. Well done owlcat…

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

I am playing Warrior Priest, so dogmatic for me.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Owlcat games are always bug fests at release. They are generally pretty big games. I usually wait a few months for some patches to buy them. 40K has me chomping at the bit though.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Owlcat games are always bug fests at release. They are generally pretty big games. I usually wait a few months for some patches to buy them. 40K has me chomping at the bit though.
Yeah, I'm holding off. Probably be on at least a little sale come Christmas, and that'll give me time to finish Starfield and jump to Cyberpunk. I am pretty excited about the game though. It's been a great year, and I don't think I've spent this much time playing video games in a long long while.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know of a way to edit the middle mouse button toggle to move the camera? I want it on my thumb M4 button, but can't see any way to change the middle mouse button toggle.