Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Its not BG3 and the mid game is a bit sloggy (mostly due to getting battles in half of all warp moves and having to back track for shit), but its better than any prior Owl Cat offering. Playing it on PS5 and while inventory management is AIDS and the contextual information windows are a pain in the ass to use, its basically been bug free for me. I am about L23 and exploring the map where I am at and its got a larger feel for exploration than BG3, but is otherwise not as good in every category. This is not a criticism at all, because in a year without BG3 this would have been the RPG of the year hands down.

Anyhow, character balance is crazy all over the place-

Navigator Chick- Mostly just an AE and crowd control god, but some enemies just will not take damage unless its her blasting it with the single target eye beam. The Nav staff that lets you chain cast is broken as fuck. And she is ludicrously tough once you get the Willpower counts as all defensive stats ability.

Inquisitor Chad- Ancient Force Sword pretty much makes this guy the best off tanker, plus if you work him into it he can heal ridiculously well (Light of the Emporer AE heal that heals massive amounts) so he is a near constant in my group.

Sister of Battle Chick- Once you get the toys, she is arguably more OP than the Navigator. And she has SO many options for how she can kick ass. I currently have her running around with a Thunderhammer and a Multimelta, just AE roflstomping enemies and stacking up Revel in the Slaughter like it was nothing. And early on she is not too shabby just with a bolter and chainsword, either. But she really takes off once you get some of the better items and advancements.

Serivor Dude- Kind of clunky and operative does not mesh well with his Mechanicus abilities. But he is extremely versatile and can rock two big weapons at once. Not the weakest of the story characters, but takes a while to pull his weight and kind of wimpy to damage until you get to Heavy Armor with him. I usually use him as a skill monkey and to support the Inquisitor when I need to run down some strays on a flank.

Eldar Sniper Wench- Holy shit. Once you get to her assassin archtype and unlock the Lethality shit, there is no better single target remover in the game. And she is not exactly terrible in close, either. She is seriously doming dudes every turn from half the map away and requires no support from others to do it.

Jae Space Jew Chick- Works ok, but redundant if your main is at all a face character. Her story quests are interesting, though. Give her a pair of Eldar pistols and she can really rip shit up if its not heavily armored, but its all close range and literally the entire rest of the roster is good at that.

Imp Guard Old Fart- Boring and did not use him much at all.

Crazy Psychier Witch- Annoying and causes problems, so I had the Inquisitor haul her off and am much happier now. Her only feature is negating Ambush, which while good is not worth the hassle especially when I am already running around with three psykers tearing up the veil.

If I had it to do over again, I would make my main focused on Pyro and Bio and work into assassin (currently officer and grand strat path, which is ok but dull), but tossing lighting around is fun and powerful in the early game. Having my main be the face character and have high Willpower circumvents a lot of bullshit in the game, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its not BG3 and the mid game is a bit sloggy (mostly due to getting battles in half of all warp moves and having to back track for shit), but its better than any prior Owl Cat offering. Playing it on PS5 and while inventory management is AIDS and the contextual information windows are a pain in the ass to use, its basically been bug free for me. I am about L23 and exploring the map where I am at and its got a larger feel for exploration than BG3, but is otherwise not as good in every category. This is not a criticism at all, because in a year without BG3 this would have been the RPG of the year hands down.

Navigator Chick- Mostly just an AE and crowd control god, but some enemies just will not take damage unless its her blasting it with the single target eye beam. The Nav staff that lets you chain cast is broken as fuck. And she is ludicrously tough once you get the Willpower counts as all defensive stats ability.

Inquisitor Chad- Ancient Force Sword pretty much makes this guy the best off tanker, plus if you work him into it he can heal ridiculously well (Light of the Emporer AE heal that heals massive amounts) so he is a near constant in my group.

Sister of Battle Chick- Once you get the toys, she is arguably more OP than the Navigator. And she has SO many options for how she can kick ass. I currently have her running around with a Thunderhammer and a Multimelta, just AE roflstomping enemies and stacking up Revel in the Slaughter like it was nothing. And early on she is not too shabby just with a bolter and chainsword, either. But she really takes off once you get some of the better items and advancements.

Serivor Dude- Kind of clunky and operative does not mesh well with his Mechanicus abilities. But he is extremely versatile and can rock two big weapons at once. Not the weakest of the story characters, but takes a while to pull his weight and kind of wimpy to damage until you get to Heavy Armor with him. I usually use him as a skill monkey and to support the Inquisitor when I need to run down some strays on a flank.

Eldar Sniper Wench- Holy shit. Once you get to her assassin archtype and unlock the Lethality shit, there is no better single target remover in the game. And she is not exactly terrible in close, either. She is seriously doming dudes every turn from half the map away and requires no support from others to do it.

Jae Space Jew Chick- Works ok, but redundant if your main is at all a face character. Her story quests are interesting, though. Give her a pair of Eldar pistols and she can really rip shit up if its not heavily armored, but its all close range and literally the entire rest of the roster is good at that.

Crazy Psychier Witch- Annoying and causes problems, so I had the Inquisitor haul her off and am much happier now. Her only feature is negating Ambush, which while good is not worth the hassle especially when I am already running around with three psykers tearing up the veil.

If I had it to do over again, I would make my main focused on Pyro and Bio and work into assassin (currently officer and grand strat path, which is ok but dull), but tossing lighting around is fun and powerful in the early game. Having my main be the face character and have high Willpower circumvents a lot of bullshit in the game, though.
I've always hated these games , at least like w/ larian where if your crew has all the charisma/whatever social abilities you had to manually swap to them to get the bonuses. I forget, does this one handle it well where it doesn't matter as long as someone has these skills or?

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider

Idira with pain feedback is all kinds of insane

If you use Cassia with the talent that always lets her have a half turn first, where she can use the ability that leads in with Idira getting an extra turn before her normal turn, and if you are able pre-cast a nuke to open the fight, she can literally clear rooms before anyone else gets a turn (pain feedback overkills onto whichever enemy is nearest, even if they are half a map away, as long as they are in combat). So when you're killing in AE packs... it adds crazily as her psy levels go up

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Idira has felt anti-productive to me so far, her head explodes and summons a demon every fourth fight no matter how low the warp bar is, it seems. Hoping she'll do that less often later on. The Screamer she summoned was just a bottomless pit of HP.

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
Idira has felt anti-productive to me so far, her head explodes and summons a demon every fourth fight no matter how low the warp bar is, it seems. Hoping she'll do that less often later on. The Screamer she summoned was just a bottomless pit of HP.
She's high risk/reward - if you get the item that adds +wp with every kill, the one that adds +psy level with phenomena, she can be doing single target nukes for >400dmg by about turn 4 of any combat
... and then sometimes she assplodes into a bloodletter of Khorne, and you've now got a problem, but thats kind of the fun of it

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Game just went down to a 9/10... HATE it when they strip all your characters for whatever reason leaving you to puzzle out who had what only a few hours later. Shit infuriated me when FF7 did it with materia and it never got better, spent almost an hour getting everyone set back up.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Game just went down to a 9/10... HATE it when they strip all your characters for whatever reason leaving you to puzzle out who had what only a few hours later. Shit infuriated me when FF7 did it with materia and it never got better, spent almost an hour getting everyone set back up.
well fuck, now I have something to look 'forward' to.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I just did this bit as well and while I ended up with some people having some 'better' gear due to having a chance to rework everything it was a colossal pain in the ass to get everyone geared up again. You also pick up two more companions in this part of the game who are both cool and now I have to decide who I want to ditch in order to have them join up... bah!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I just did this bit as well and while I ended up with some people having some 'better' gear due to having a chance to rework everything it was a colossal pain in the ass to get everyone geared up again. You also pick up two more companions in this part of the game who are both cool and now I have to decide who I want to ditch in order to have them join up... bah!
space wolf I got but who else you mean? You able to recruit the drukhari? I killed that fucker first chance I got.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
space wolf I got but who else you mean? You able to recruit the drukhari? I killed that fucker first chance I got.

Yeah you can recruit him. Heinrich damn near has a hissy fit when you rescue him and you have both the Aeldari and the Drukhari in the group.

Sanadebe

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit. They do Grim Dark awesomely.

In act 4, when Incendia Chorda takes over footfall, she's literally eating the brain of a criminal, with a spoon, whilst burning 'heretics' alive for stealing 2 ration bars... and her justifcation is she needs to know how a criminals thoughts taste

Grez

Molten Core Raider
ELDAR Sniper Wench-
main-qimg-5a3fbcf1bac0b4d906066d24d26362b2-pjlq

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Getting a proper sniper rifle to drop has made this play way differently.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
JFC

So apparently I missed the whole deal where you can Amazon Prime the reputation gear by taking to the fat major domo on the bridge. Here I am like a goddamn peasant warping to check on faction vendors when I could have been doing it all while wearing my PJs on the ship.

I'm just finished Chapter 3 and I'm making some radical respec choices heading into Chapter 4.

• 1Worf

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I watched this and it's about what I expected unfortunately. Shame, maybe I'll pick it up on sale in a few years.
Yeah, it wasn't as glowing of a review as I thought he might give. He's pretty honest about games, guess that's why I watch his stuff. I'm sure it's fun, but I'll probably do the same and hold off for a sale maybe next summer.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
He unironically recommended both Diablo 4 and Starfield in his winter sale highlights video.
Starfield was fun, Diablo sucked. Still have to take everything with a grain of salt unfortunately. I think he still tries to give everything a relatively Fair shake versus a lot of other reviewers, and he's also not obnoxious with his format telling stupid jokes the whole time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean opinions, right? But I had way more fun in the beginning days of Diablo 4 than Starfield.

• 1Like