Warhammer 40k

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Turning point 2 (cont) -
Was able to get this sniper though. SURPRISE MOTHER FUCKER!
1000001133.jpg

However, this sniper must have been good friends with the Ogryn.

1000001138.jpg

1000001140.jpg

Pulled off one of my best rolls the whole night. 5 attacks, 2+ to hit, 5+ to crit (or lethal 5+)... rolled 4 crits and a hit. The Ogryn, inspite of being buff by his medic and the power of the dark gods, cowered before the might of my Custode and rolled only 1 hit. He was in turned sent to the afterlife.

I didnt take anymore pictures after killing this Ogryn as everything kinda snowballed after that in my favor, with one exception.

The whole game I did my best to stay away from his leader that had a plamsa gun pistol. Son of a bitch overcharged his gun and sent one of my spearmen to meet the Emperor.

Oh well. Still got the win.

Was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brad2770

So, I think I caught the bug. I’m decent at art and I think I could get the painting down pretty quick.

What would be a good 2000 point starter army? So far, because of lore, I’m partial to the space marines, but I would want ones that lean more on the good side. Necrons would be my second choice. I have to read this thread, and I will, but haven’t started yet.

• 2Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So, I think I caught the bug. I’m decent at art and I think I could get the painting down pretty quick.

What would be a good 2000 point starter army? So far, because of lore, I’m partial to the space marines, but I would want ones that lean more on the good side. Necrons would be my second choice. I have to read this thread, and I will, but haven’t started yet.
Pick which ever faction makes you happy with esthetics and also how they play on the board. I chose Custodes because they have are low unit counts, but highly elite units across the board. That of course comes with its advantages and disadvantages.

Start with playing small 500 point games to stretch out your legs, and sequentially (750, 1k, 1.5k, etc) work your way up to 2k points. The reasoning for this is so you 1) you dont feel overwhelmed in managing a full fledged 2k army right out of the gate & 2) you can cut your teeth in using command points (stratagems, overwatching, etc) during the different phases of the game.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

Dark Angel Space Marines is fucking tight

Check em out, flip thru some codex at a store

Go based on your gut and what catches your eye

The game is too expensive for the most part to be a meta chaser, so. Yeah.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

My first armies were Chaos and Orks. As soon as I saw the Necron models in a white dwarf ( just immortals, warriors and a Necron lord) in the late 90’s I fell in love. That’s all we had as Necrons for years but I loved them. They had a 4+ “We’ll be back” which made my opponents shit bricks lol.

You gotta go with the army you love. My first two loves always be Necrons and Orks.

My greatest game was with Orks vs Space wolves. It came down to just a Wolf lord and one ork boy passing his leadership test. My shit tier Slugga boy rolled all 6’s on my buddy Vonpol Vonpol wounded Wolf Lord who had an invulnerable save. I needed 3 6’s to hit and 3 6’s to wound. I rolled them all. All he had to do is roll one 2 to save. He rolled 3 1’s and died. We erupted into laughter just at the craziness of the situation. We took that one Orkboy and named him Schlotz McDurmick and placed him upon the fireplace mantle. He became my new Warboss.

And you gotta stay open minded about armies you currently aren’t a fan of. Vonpol Vonpol as these guys know passed away from cancer last April and left me his armies in his will. I never in a million years would think I’d have a Space Wolf army or like them. We’d get into so many “fun” lore debates and talk massive shit during the game.

Now I’m loving them and have kinda tilted back to a Big E fan boy (emperor).

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
See that right there is why people should get into gaming

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Wahapedia is my go to to find rules for various factions.

Another good source is goonhammer’s “start competing (faction)”. A lot of their guides are currently a little out of date, but they still give the basic play style of various armies and quick overview of common units and strategies.

edit: and armies and units that are good now might become trash when 10th edition drops later this year. Which is why aesthetics are so important on choosing army.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wahapedia is my go to to find rules for various factions.

Another good source is goonhammer’s “start competing (faction)”. A lot of their guides are currently a little out of date, but they still give the basic play style of various armies and quick overview of common units and strategies.

edit: and armies and units that are good now might become trash when 10th edition drops later this year. Which is why aesthetics are so important on choosing army.

Exactly please pick an army based on Lore. I got a few armies so I’ll always have one that is Meta (or win rate up 50%) but I have zero regrets picking up the Grey Knights. Currently they are the 2nd worst win/rate in any tournament but wtf cares? They are amazing and not many people have them. I kinda feel like they are the Wood Elves of fantasy back in the day. They are rare but a fun sight to pop up with an amazing backstory.

• 3Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So with the points changes, I was able to get:

-5 more intercessors (so another squad with sergeant w/ thunder hammer)
-a primaris apothecary with chief apothecary
-another eliminator squad

and still have another 70 that i can spend on any of these:
Chaplain, , Lieutenant, Lieutenant in Phobos Armor, Primaris Techmarine, Primaris Ancient, Invader ATV Squad, Lander Speeder Tornadoes, Drop Pod

Christ thats a lot more to do. What a huge buff.

• 2Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
GW: "If we make all the points costs of units cheaper, it will make the players happy and they won't realize they have to buy more shit in order to play!" Queue evil villain laugh.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
GW: "If we make all the points costs of units cheaper, it will make the players happy and they won't realize they have to buy more shit in order to play!" Queue evil villain laugh.

Oh I know. Might roll back an intercessor or two and do the land speeder with typhoon missile launcher.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Dumb question, since now my husband has started buying minis and wants to make an Adeta Sororitas army: in the event that we ended up actually playing, can you play an emperor faction vs. an emperor faction or do you have to play opposing factions?

If you want to play as Space Marines, do you play as multiple chapters or can you just pick one? Space Wolves look cool as shit and my god there’s a dude with a fucking Viking wolf chariot, which is amazing, so that’s probably what I’d want to play.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

This is 100% perfect for you to start with. Will slowly send you Necrons and Space Marines and is one of the best ways to get started cost wise.

• 4Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Dumb question, since now my husband has started buying minis and wants to make an Adeta Sororitas army: in the event that we ended up actually playing, can you play an emperor faction vs. an emperor faction or do you have to play opposing factions?

If you want to play as Space Marines, do you play as multiple chapters or can you just pick one? Space Wolves look cool as shit and my god there’s a dude with a fucking Viking wolf chariot, which is amazing, so that’s probably what I’d want to play.

Have not played in years but any faction can fight any faction back the day. The galaxy is so big lore wise you can think of it as a small civil war.

• 3Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The game is designed for any army to fight any army. It might be more flavorful or lore-friends to have Space Marines versus Orks, but the game encourages any game. Heck, a lot of tournaments used to feature one army very heavily due to the meta of the day, so there'd be mirror matches all the time.

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
That would have been perfect, but both base and premium out of stock.
Yeah in Fauxhammer discord they are all saying it's because they are preparing for 10th ed imperium. I can't wait to see who the two armies are.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't 9th edition JUST come out and codex are still being released for it?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Brad2770

Ok, I think I’m going to start with The Salamanders. They seem to be the type of army I would like to run. I’ll be piecing something together from here:

Am I doing this right?

01CC5B8A-7EA5-40DE-A024-64AD39147D62.png
D1BA63C4-7E44-4631-8797-DEC1BF57C56D.png

Plus a MarkIII set.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Any faction can fight any faction, but amusingly this fight actually happened in the lore. The Inquisition and the Sisters of Battle previously sanctioned and tried to wipe out the Space Wolves for being filthy Norse heretics with their own faith and priesthood. They were not successful.

As to the chapter question, as long as it's a non-GW-Open event you can play your Marines as any chapter regardless of paint scheme. You'll get some grumping from grognards if you use faction decals and don't play that faction, but you can paint your models however you like. My white Scars are royal purple because fuck painting all that white. If you're worried about folks being arses, just paint them Heresy era dark grey and red, slap some runes on them instead of wolfsheads and bam, you've got some space Wolfy dudes who could easily be used as a successor chapter of basically any faction without a blink of the eye.

Last edited:
  • 4Like