Warhammer Online RIP

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
No instanced pvp, are you people fucking serious? The world PVP was complete dogshit. Just a horde of idiots getting aoe'd into the ground or punted all over the place in an unplayable lagfest shitshow. It was AV bridge with many times more players. Running around in a big ball of stupid, fuck that shit. (but then, I hate that as a rule - it's why I avoided GW2. And seeing the huge battleground in Rift, holy fuck - HOW GODDAMN BORING is it to run around in a big zerg pile where you barely have time to target someone before they are blown up?)

Sure, we could take our group of 8 or so and find places where we wiped out dozens of players. But that was in lower populated areas, and away from the horrible siege zergfest crap that made up the main game. And it was entirely pointless. To get actual rewards meant throwing ourselves into the zerg pile (or taking out empty undefended keeps then standing there hoping someone comes by, oh fun)

No, by far the best part of Warhammer was the scenarios. Badly designed, not at all balanced - and that = fun when you are queuing as a group. Unfortunately once we crossed level 30 there was no one to play against. Probably because they were busy being jammed up in some zerg shitfest and getting nothing for it because the "contribution" system was just a random dice roll for being in the area.

The main lesson anyone should take from warhammer though is that overcomplex MMO mechanics just fuck up PVP. WoW it was a slower decline - but in Warhammer you could see it happen in each tier.

For me WAR was the most fun MMO I played second only to EQ. Think I will never find a character that plays just like my Bright Wizard.

IMHO WAR's biggest problem was the endgame (or the lack of it) the engine never held up the Capitol raids properly. I know you guys hate instanced PVP but a proper simple token-tiered system copy-pasted from WoW for PVE/PVP could've at least made this game compete with Warcraft at some level.

RIP WAR, godspeed.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
So unfortunate. I always felt like this game was just a swing and a miss. It had great potential and I had a lot of fun until the end game. They couldn't get the RvR right either. People just flipped and it was an endless cycle. There was never a point to defend a keep. If the masses came, you slipped off to another keep and simply took it. There was never really an opposition. The game just was never thought through or noticed any key fixes in the future. The good times were short lived but oh well....

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This game wasn't bad, but I don't think I made it past the first month. The PVP was such dogshit, with the certain mirror classes being downright better than their counterparts.

RIP Squid Herder

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Killing a keep lord made SWTOR's Illum battles look smooth as butter. Didn't matter how high end of a machine you had , it was going to be a slideshow once you got to the top of those stairs.

rolx_sl

shitlord
He left them donkeys years ago and worked for ncsoft on a project that was shitcanned when they lost millions on the Tabula Rasa fiasco. He left and worked on a couple of other projects before rejoining Ncsoft again for a while.

A quick google just now shows that hilariously he is now working for Mr Garriott onhttps://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/

------------

As for Warhammer, wasn't this the shitpile that gave birth to "Mythic seconds" because their engine was too fucked up initially to be fast enough for their own combat design cooldowns etc?
Finally a game realizes that people will pay to get in beta. Taken from shroud site "backers" or "donators." :

Built using the Unity Game Engine, Shroud of the Avatar will support Win/Mac/Linux for official launch at the end of 2014. Backers gain early access at the end of 2013.

And RIP my 32 witch elf. I played too much beta.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I hardly remember but some of the scenarios were actually pretty good ideas. Like king of the hill, or the one that had you hold on to that orb thing but it would damage you more and more the longer you held it. The one in the volcano was pretty cool, surrounded by lava you could punt people into. Also the king of the hill one stands out in my mind as well. Your group had to control that center ruins area while the other team kept trying to take over from all sides, flank, etc.... Good times. I played a bright wizzard, probably the most op class I ever played in an mmo. But damn it was fun while it lasted until they nerfed the shit out of it.

I also agree with Kreugen. Instanced PvP is where its at. Fuck zergs. Instances basically take the entire numbers out of the equation leaving behind only tactics and skill.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Was a big dissapointment back then, but the classes had some fun designs. Loved my ironbreaker. I wonder if GW has plans for the IP.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
No instanced pvp, are you people fucking serious? The world PVP was complete dogshit. Just a horde of idiots getting aoe'd into the ground or punted all over the place in an unplayable lagfest shitshow. It was AV bridge with many times more players. Running around in a big ball of stupid, fuck that shit. (but then, I hate that as a rule - it's why I avoided GW2. And seeing the huge battleground in Rift, holy fuck - HOW GODDAMN BORING is it to run around in a big zerg pile where you barely have time to target someone before they are blown up?) .
Frontiers in DAOC remains the single best PVP setup, ever, period, end of fucking story. Capture the Flag instanced PVP is boring as shit, and if I want to play something like that I'll fire up an FPS. Darkness Falls alone is 100 times better than any of the instanced shit ever released in any MMO, and especially the dogshit slop we have in WOW and SWTOR.

Objective based world PVP with real factions, real rewards, and real meaning is the holy grail of online MMO gaming for many PVP types. I'm not a PVP type but that's the type of game I'm pining for.

The main lesson from Warhammer is you play to your strengths. The same team that fucked up DAOC with Trials of Atlantis apparently did not learn their lesson with this game. This should have been a dark game aimed at an adult audience with a tag to the tons of GW Warhammer fans.

Wormwood_sl

shitlord
There was also no endgame other than the keeps which were a massive zerg and lag fest. Did they even have any dungeons in this game? I cannot remember ever stepping foot in one.
Yeah, I think both capital cities had one? And then there's the Khorne Temple. The Inevitable City had one down in the arena. The dungeon was atrocious though, I think the final boss took around 15 minutes to kill (some hydra?). Stairs of Blood (or whatever it's called) was even worse.
I had a massive love hate relationship with the game. My Marauder looked like a fucking awesome, blood-crazed viking. But had only one viable tree built around an exploit which reduced the tree to smashing one AE and press the AE stun on cooldown.
Not to mention bugged shit like the Runebreaker knock back on the map with the river/graveyards. Bastards just flinged the enemy team into river where you simply got stuck till the game ended.
Also, Blackguards were added way too late.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
WAR Class design was pretty good, except for a few broken mirror situations.
Scenario design was good except for a couple shitty ones.
Server code was dogshit. Client code was giant fucking elephant shit.
Macro-level zone capture mechanics were just so beyond terrible that there isn't a comparable shit-based analogy for them.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Then the game launched and the leveling experience wasn't actually that terrible. It was fairly average and the early PvP scenarios were fun because the stupid shit that comes later wasn't part of the classes yet.
I really enjoyed the low level PVP scenarios and stopped shortly after that. Might have to reinstall the game before it officially dies since tier 1 is free to play.