Warhammer Online RIP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Baghwan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wonder how long until this happens to AoC. Both of these games came out around the same time and I haven't heard anything about Conan for a very long time.

I liked AoC more than WAR, but thinking back I'm not sure why, both were pretty bad.

Oh yeah, aoc had fantastic music. Holy shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kn99vRCbww
From the last time I played AoC was turning a decent profit, they pushed out a decent expansion pack, then flipped to a freemium version after I stopped playing again. No idea how the last year or so has been for them, maybe their freeimum version isn't doing so well now, they haven't pushed out another large content patch in awhile like LotRO has been.

Did anyone manage to create a emu server for this?

chantmaster

Lord Nagafen Raider
AoC, the game where male and female characters had different attack speeds for months.
Working as intended, male heralds were supposed to do 25-50% more damage.

I'll find a beer to celebrate when it goes down. Yet another game with craptastic balance from launch till ghosttown.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
WAR Class design was pretty good, except for a few broken mirror situations.
Scenario design was good except for a couple shitty ones.
Server code was dogshit. Client code was giant fucking elephant shit.
Macro-level zone capture mechanics were just so beyond terrible that there isn't a comparable shit-based analogy for them.
I think you're fooling yourself.

Class design was shit. Almost every mirror was broken in one way or another. As well as most of the scenarios, only one or two were actually fairly decent the rest has HUGE exploits, like Tor Anroc.

The server code and client code were crap, you are correct about that.

The real problem was the devs completely forgot what made DAoC a great PvP/RvR game and tried to make it WoW + RvR.

I blame both the devs and the beta testers for this horrid fiasco as I was a closed beta tester for over a year before launch. The beta testers because virtually NOBODY leveled out of the T1 areas. They just stayed at level 10 and did nothing but hang out in the Dwarf/Green Skin zone forever. Even after Empire/Chaos were added, everyone still fucking hung out in the Dwarf/Green Skin rvr area and camped each other's entrance 24/7.

I leveled my Dwarf Engineer to almost 30 but it was rather boring because there was almost NOBODY with me at that level. How do devs find any bugs or fix anything if nobody is testing their shit? They finally had to implement a new type of beta testing where they would test different levels and scenarios by force leveling everyone. You can only test so much though when you're only doing it for a weekend at a time.

The biggest issue though was for those of us who were leveling, the devs completely ignored real testers in favor of mass whiners. Good example, as I played a Dwarf Engineer in closed beta and anyone else who played then knew how OP they were. They were OP because of two abilities, Rapid Fire and Shrapnel Grenade. The grenade was a snare with a dot that was very good at CC. The problem though was their CC stacked. So if you could get off two grenades or you were with another Engineer instead of just snaring you'd have a 60% added onto another 60% snare which became an unbreakable root with two dots. Two Engineers could virtually take down a group fairly easily as they could just root everyone. People bitched and whined about how OP everyone was but it wasn't the Engineer it was the fact that just like in DAoC with Healers being able to chain stun with no diminishing returns, Engineers could chain root the same way.

Instead of fixing that issue they completely nerfed and changed the Engineer and as we all know, at launch, CC was totally fucked up.

The other main issue was RvR was totally fucked up as well. In DAoC the original frontiers had some of the best PvE to level in. So people would come to kill everyone trying to PvE there. When they implemented the BG's they made the PvE there more rewarding with higher xp than normal zones so people would go to the BG's to PvE as well. Same with Darkness Falls.

Instead in WAR we are treated to huge wastelands of emptiness with virtually no reason to be in any of them other than to RvR. So you don't get the fun small skirmishes you just get the huge giant zerg ball running from one sides entrance to the other then in T3/T4 doing nothing but swapping keeps.

Honestly, did nobody from original DAoC fucking work on WAR because it just looks like they decided not to use anything that worked from DAoC and instead just try to stick the WoW quest chain PvE formula into some craptastic RvR.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
rrr_img_43926.jpg

I still laugh thinking about how my ui mod deleted all of Grenig's weapons.
Grenig is a fucking saint you watch them sploits bro

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The sad thing about this is the fact that the IP has so much potential, but it was never fully realized with Mythics implementation.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
No pre nerf Bright Mage, no care.
I played a bright wizard for about 3-4 months after launch and the class was so hilarious op, especially whatever their DoT damage line was.

The best was within the group I was playing with we had 1 IB, 1 Engi and 3 bright wizards. The engineer had one move where he would pull everyone to him within a fairly large AoE, then the IB would drop an AoE stun while the 3 bright wizards nuked everybody down in a tight little pile. Was so hilarious and fun to do we could wipe out so many people by coordinating the engineer pull in move.

Had fun doing warzones in WAR I gotta say, but eventually grew old and the world PvP wasn't though out very well.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
I never had as much fun playing an MMO as I did with this game. Granted most of it was because of my guild but I loved this game for 3-4 months until I did everything and people just kept flipping territories for bonuses and large scale battles ended. RIP Warhammer Online. I'm sorry Mythic was incompetent with you and dropped you for Wrath of Heroes which stole peoples' money and then never went live.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I played a bright wizard for about 3-4 months after launch and the class was so hilarious op, especially whatever their DoT damage line was.

The best was within the group I was playing with we had 1 IB, 1 Engi and 3 bright wizards. The engineer had one move where he would pull everyone to him within a fairly large AoE, then the IB would drop an AoE stun while the 3 bright wizards nuked everybody down in a tight little pile. Was so hilarious and fun to do we could wipe out so many people by coordinating the engineer pull in move.

Had fun doing warzones in WAR I gotta say, but eventually grew old and the world PvP wasn't though out very well.
What's hilarious is how long the CC was out of control. They never could fix it right. Don't even get me started with that lava zone and Ironbreakers :p Knockdown--->Aim--->Punt into lava, repeat. Fun for one side at least =D

Order was OP for a while, I ended up being friends with a lot of people on the other side so I left my max level Archmage and started the evil version of it. I actually got like millions of renown points daily by sacrificing my Archmage over and over. Did you know that if you do 1 point of damage, then the guy dies from falling, you get full credit and no 'Player 1 kills Player 2' zonewide spam? Perfect way of cheat---err catching up. The funny thing is there was one guy who was doing this even *more* than I was, and always got the #1 statue spot in town. Too funny.

Witch elves were OP as fuck early on, melting fully armored dudes while invisible in under a second. Then for some reason they reversed that and the order version was even worse. Remember the white lion 10000 yard pull at release? Was funny to watch.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a lot of fun in WarHammer up untill the 1.2 patch (about 6 months after release). One of the few mmo's that I actually have fond memories of. A lot of lessons to be learned from it, good and bad.