Warhammer Online RIP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gecko_sl

shitlord
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09...december-18th/Today is Warhammer Online's fifth anniversary, but instead of getting a celebration, the players are getting a pink slip from Mythic. The studio announced that it will be shutting WAR down as of December 18th because its licensing deal with Games Workshop has come to an end. The official statement gives the important details: "We here at Mythic have built an amazing relationship working with Games Workshop creating and running Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning over the last 8 years. Unfortunately, as with all licensing deals they do eventually come to end and on December 18th, 2013 we will no longer be operating Warhammer Online. As such we will no longer be selling three-month game time codes or have the ability to auto renew your accounts for three months as of September 18th, 2013. From all of us here at Mythic we thank you again for your dedication and support over the last five years."

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Fuck EA Mythic Bioware & Games Workshop. Wrath of Heroes charging money for characters in beta then pulling the plug on it was the shadiest horseshit I've seen in games. Hopefully all those fuckers go hungry.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ok mental note here never ever play a mmog using a licensed IP that can be pulled.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many people are still playing this. I have not heard dick about this game in years so cant be that many.

Tol_sl

shitlord
It's too bad. I feel like it had great potential and a really strong start. The tanking classes especially felt interesting in pvp, but somewhere in the mid-30s all of it's momentum just died completely and most people I knew quit.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
If they opened a new server connecting all the lakes for pvp across all tiers, removed the pvp scenarios, and/or somehow open it up to more than two factions I wonder if a player base would return for one last dance.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There was also no endgame other than the keeps which were a massive zerg and lag fest. Did they even have any dungeons in this game? I cannot remember ever stepping foot in one.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Only game I ever bought the collectors edition for, it's right behind me on the shelf. What a fucking tragedy that whole affair was.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
At least you'll still be able to purchase a month to month subscription after September 18th though.

Until December 18th.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It blows my mind that Horizons--a complete and utter abortion of not only an MMO but a game in general--is still running while bad-but-not-abysmal games like WAR and COH shut down.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
It blows my mind that Horizons--a complete and utter abortion of not only an MMO but a game in general--is still running while bad-but-not-abysmal games like WAR and COH shut down.
It sounds like GW wasn't getting anything back and had no desire to renew the license for a WOW clone game.

The funny thing is a good chunk of this is from that Barnett dude, right? I think he was from GW. It's a shame they didn't make a really dark and gothic world in the spirit of Gotrek and Felix. They could've done so much with the Chaos angle in a sandbox universe.

Ok mental note here never ever play a mmog using a licensed IP that can be pulled.
I'm still waiting for a Forgotten realms based persistent sandbox MMO that doesn't suck. Everything you need is in the original books:

rrr_img_43892.jpg

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
If they opened a new server connecting all the lakes for pvp across all tiers,removed the pvp scenarios, and/or somehow open it up to more than two factions I wonder if a player base would return for one last dance.
Remove the only good part of the game? oookay

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Fuck that - the problem was they made PVP scenarios x1000 faster to earn points in than world PVP.

After Tor Anroc for the 100th time I knew they were clueless and had fucked the Warhammer IP royally.

Warhammer should never have been about tiny instanced PVP matches.