Warhammer Online RIP

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Oops, I forgot about this and now there's an 8 gig patch. Wonder what time it shuts off? Will be hours for me to patch.

It apparently shut off at 6 eastern. Kinda sad I missed it.

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
rrr_img_53760.jpg

I was on Dark Crag as well also. Mostly as DoK Xianthe in Dominus Letum. Art Supplies was good, fuck Ruin. We used to let Archaos on our vent to make fun of him, or record him - since he had no idea who was on his voice chat.

Convenant > Archaos.

And I do remember Eximos - they were in alliance with us.

Eggplant_sl

shitlord
This game was pretty fun to play when it came out. Favorite part was playing an ironbreaker in one of the PVP maps that had lava, and knocking them into the lava. Seems like another MMO had something similar to that but I can't think of it.

This game was also my introduction to public quests. They did a lot right with this game. Can't remember why I stopped playing though.

Rhuobhe

N00b
the game died within the first 12 months because of mythic incompetence. they went radio silent for the first few months while they developed the land of the dead expansion (the worst mmo expansion I can remember). all the messed up shit like balancing and loot was never truly addressed.

There was some discussion about it in another thread, but it is still unfathomable how Games Workshop still has no interest in making a straight up online translation of the tabletop Warhammer Game. Don't they realize that 3D printers are under $2k now and desktop 3D digital scanners are under $1k.

MakerBot Special Offers

Let's see, they sell 1 pack of these Warhammer figures, unpainted,for $270 bucks plus shipping.

m3560063a_99120104036_EldarGhostWarriors01_445x319.jpg

As soon as a 3D printer/scanner combos are in the hundreds of dollar range, their entire business model is done for. Anyone can infinitely reproduce the same figures at home with a digital blueprint downloaded off the web. In not too long, the entire figurine business is going the way of MP3s.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
There was some discussion about it in another thread, but it is still unfathomable how Games Workshop still has no interest in making a straight up online translation of the tabletop Warhammer Game. Don't they realize that 3D printers are under $2k now and desktop 3D digital scanners are under $1k.

MakerBot Special Offers

Let's see, they sell 1 pack of these Warhammer figures, unpainted,for $270 bucks plus shipping.

m3560063a_99120104036_EldarGhostWarriors01_445x319.jpg

As soon as a 3D printer/scanner combos are in the hundreds of dollar range, their entire business model is done for. Anyone can infinitely reproduce the same figures at home with a digital blueprint downloaded off the web. In not too long, the entire figurine business is going the way of MP3s.
That Ghost Warriors holiday pack thing is actually about 90 dollars less than buying all that shit separate. 3d Printers will certainly be interesting depending on what level of detail you can get with the cheaper versions.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That Ghost Warriors holiday pack thing is actually about 90 dollars less than buying all that shit separate. 3d Printers will certainly be interesting depending on what level of detail you can get with the cheaper versions.
As long as somebody is willing to print for reasonable price you probably aren't going to even have to buy one. The whole thing is new ground for copyright law, but I wouldn't be surprised if a shop bought a printer and started selling Werhemmer figures for fraction of the price

a_skeleton_04

<Banned>
Thing is though not even shops. If you get hooked up in maker groups (clubs) they will let you use the printer times for hobby stuff. They work out of people's basements most of the time. That isn't going to be able to be regulated. Granted most maker groups are more into the science but no reason you can't get involved in that too.

Goonsquad Officer
Back in the day, we played EPIC, (titan legions and SPACE MARINE era). We knew a guy who cast lead minis (or peuter sp?). we played the ever living shit out of massive epic games. that was even back before the prices were (as) absurd.

Helldiver

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Guy out here will do it for free as long as you provide him the resin. If it's a master he doesn't have, you'll have to also provide silicon and obviously the master. His son has had stuff printed by an online company (some custom Elysium drop trooper stuff).

They own a 3D printer which they've made RC Car parts with. For big stuff like RC car parts it works great, for stuff with fine details, the household equipment just isn't thereyet. Funny seeing all the metal Grey Knight stuff they have and 80% of it is resin. They tried printing their master at home but the detail like the face was just too blurry/soft, so for $50 they got done online.

If only you guys knew how disconnected GW Sales folks are from all this. Dealing with GW Trade is like dealing with a meth addict whilst you're trying to convince him to switch to coffee.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I logged on to the emu server Return of Reckoning yesterday. Warhammer Online is a game that I have quite a bit of nostalgia for but never really went back to.

Game looked terrible, felt terrible, and stuff I was running in to in the first couple minutes of play didn't work.

Eonan

Doer of Things
I logged on to the emu server Return of Reckoning yesterday. Warhammer Online is a game that I have quite a bit of nostalgia for but never really went back to.

Game looked terrible, felt terrible, and stuff I was running in to in the first couple minutes of play didn't work.
So...just like at release?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like a faithful reproduction to me.

I was in Ruin. I usually have a softspot for guilds with 100s of members. It didn't take me long to realize Archaos was a moran, but it was still a lot of fun.

That land of the dead expansion was terrible. Absolute worst. Only thing I remember about it, was that you had to farm the hell out of it for TEMPORARY benefits in PvP. Like take a normal MMO grind where you just suck it up, say max a faction, then boom you get your neato item. Now it lasts for 12 hours. No surprise that this one crashed quick.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Warhammer had a great idea but didn't address the right problems. If they would had addressed the keep flipping to where it actually mattered, they would have resolved one of their most damaging flaw. If you had anything captured, you waited for the raid force to arrive and you just left for a different keep. It wasn't worth defending so there was no real pop. WAR and Rift were good ideas that just couldn't make it passed the 1 to 3 month mark at best. I gave them fair chances though.

• 1Like

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Basically Age of Conan v2. Levels 1-20 were awesome and PvP was wild. Then you got out of the newbie areas and the whole game started to fall apart. The best part of the game was exploration and trying to find all the little TNT Plunges hidden in geography you weren't "supposed" to go to.

I think I managed to participate in 3 sieges that didn't end up being just 100 bodies trying to funnel through a door as Bright Wizards/Sorcs chained AOEs at the chokepoint preventing anyone from having even a chance of getting through.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Nice necros but it got me to thinking about Mark Jacobs and what came of his his venture Camelot Unchained he had the kickstarter for ages ago.
Turns out it enters beta in 3 days.
Camelot Unchained
Also appears the investors for Warhammer Online backed it with an additional 7.5 million buckos in January.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
This game was a shit show, but I admit I had a blast with PvP in the time that I played.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Leveling in pvp was great. Public quests were great. Then you got to 20+ with all that keep bullshit. Welp. Reroll, go back to having fun.