Washington D.C.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
The woman and I are headed to DC in the near future, so let's hear the board's wisdom on:
- Restaurants
- Bars/Breweries
- Things that are worth visiting or that should be skipped

Suggestions preferred within Uber range of DC proper, though we may have a car for a day or two.

Could really use some opinions from you guys on this. Thanks!

kudos

<Banned>
Could really use some opinions from you guys on this. Thanks!
Do the monuments at night. Almost all of them are open 24 hours I believe and they have guided tours of them all lit up. It's much cooler and less crowded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
One full day?

Book a segway tour at City Segway on 23rd before coming if you can or rent a bike. Time is your enemy.

Go to Arlington at 8 am in the morning and Blue line to Franconia Springfield one stop from Rosslyn. There is security there now so be prepared. Walk from there to USMC memorial (Iwo Jima) and visit that before hitting up the Rosslyn metro which has the 2nd largest escalator in North America. If you are from BFE it's fun. If you are drunk it's fun too.

You should be done around 11-12pm

Pop out at Smithsonian metro and go to whichever museums you like. I would suggest eat at one of the food trucks outside or eat at the cafes inside. They close at 5:30.

Make sure to plan dinner close by or take the metro early to Foggy Bottom.
You can eat nearby at George Washington University before heading to Segways.

If you can do the Segway monuments tour at Capitol Segways on 23rd near GW/Foggy bottom you'll knock out most the mall in a few hours. It's worth the money.

If you want to just rent a bike ignore my Foggy Bottom advice and bike from Smithsonian. I take all my friends and family to do Segways though. It's the best way to see the city and you'll simply have more time to do other things.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Go to any rooftop bar, there are so many of them in DC; DNV, POV, Marvins are the more popular/pricey ones. Go to drag brunch at Nellie's sports bar. Go to Cantina Marina, sit outside and enjoy the stench of the Potomac, watch presidential helicopters fly overhead.

Atlas arcade on H st is a bar that has tons of old arcade games like TMNT, also multiple consoles(n64!) at the bar.

There are free shows at the Kennedy center every night at 6. Upcoming Millennium Stage Live Streams

Get brisket nachos at wicked bloom.

Get hot wings at Duffy's. The bar kinda sucks, but damn the wings are so good. I think they taste a bit like curry, and definitely have crack in them. Also they allow you to order an entire plate of either drums or flats for no extra charge.

Go to Florida Ave Grill, and/or Oohs and Aahhs for all your soul food needs. Mac n cheese so buttery and delicious.

Ride the metro around 4-5pm, and get stabbed/robbed by packs of teenagers for a true DC experience.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I've always heard it was bad. Makes me not want to take the Metro to DC from VA.
VA to DC is better from MD to DC at least. Took the metro every day to the Pentagon from Huntington for a couple years and it wasn't too bad. Changed positions right before safe tracking started. Have to take it for the first time at the end of May for a National Academy meeting, dreading it

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
VA to DC is better from MD to DC at least. Took the metro every day to the Pentagon from Huntington for a couple years and it wasn't too bad. Changed positions right before safe tracking started. Have to take it for the first time at the end of May for a National Academy meeting, dreading it

Silver line is great.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Go to any rooftop bar, there are so many of them in DC; DNV, POV, Marvins are the more popular/pricey ones. Go to drag brunch at Nellie's sports bar. Go to Cantina Marina, sit outside and enjoy the stench of the Potomac, watch presidential helicopters fly overhead.

Atlas arcade on H st is a bar that has tons of old arcade games like TMNT, also multiple consoles(n64!) at the bar.

There are free shows at the Kennedy center every night at 6. Upcoming Millennium Stage Live Streams

Get brisket nachos at wicked bloom.

Get hot wings at Duffy's. The bar kinda sucks, but damn the wings are so good. I think they taste a bit like curry, and definitely have crack in them. Also they allow you to order an entire plate of either drums or flats for no extra charge.

Go to Florida Ave Grill, and/or Oohs and Aahhs for all your soul food needs. Mac n cheese so buttery and delicious.

Ride the metro around 4-5pm, and get stabbed/robbed by packs of teenagers for a true DC experience.

I bet you and ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy would love to see Making Movies.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The National Harbor is worth visiting for a bit. Ride the big Ferris wheel and eat some free Mike & Ike's at the Peep Store. Grab an Elevation Burger for lunch. A++ top quality burgers.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
I cannot find any good fucking pizza in Alexandria. Someone please help. I've tried two places so far and they all have some of the most shit dough I've ever had. Does nobody in Alexandria know how to make dough for pizza?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I cannot find any good fucking pizza in Alexandria. Someone please help. I've tried two places so far and they all have some of the most shit dough I've ever had. Does nobody in Alexandria know how to make dough for pizza?
Via Veneto down Fort Hunt isn't bad. Mamma's Kitchen or Lina's aren't bad either

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Dunno about pizza but if you like authentic Sichuan I can hook you up.

If you want some good Chinese food
I'll take ya to China 88 in Chantily or Jin River in Rockville. Best two areas for Chinese are in Fairfax or Rockville.

kudos

<Banned>
Dunno about pizza but if you like authentic Sichuan I can hook you up.

If you want some good Chinese food
I'll take ya to China 88 in Chantily or Jin River in Rockville. Best two areas for Chinese are in Fairfax or Rockville.
I'm dying for some spicy noodles. Chili oil is the best. The only place I've heard about that's any good since I've been here is House Dynasty. Haven't been yet though.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I'm dying for some spicy noodles. Chili oil is the best. The only place I've heard about that's any good since I've been here is House Dynasty. Haven't been yet though.
+1 house of dynasty. Also a decent koren wings place right next door, kochix

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've visited friends in Alexandria for a few years, they hands down have disgusting pizza, mostly those stores try to charge you like 20bucks for "artisan" shit.

kudos

<Banned>
I've visited friends in Alexandria for a few years, they hands down have disgusting pizza, mostly those stores try to charge you like 20bucks for "artisan" shit.

See... I've tried to avoid the whole artisan pizza thing by ordering from small little hole in the wall places. I'm thinking that's my problem. The small hole in the wall places in Alexandria are shit. I'm thinking this area may force me to go to the artisan pizza places in order to get a good fucking pizza. I don't understand how multiple pizza places can have the same shit quality crust that is just bread and not crispy or airy. Seriously. It boggles my fucking mind how multiple places make the same type of dough. Nobody can actually like this shit.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
See... I've tried to avoid the whole artisan pizza thing by ordering from small little hole in the wall places. I'm thinking that's my problem. The small hole in the wall places in Alexandria are shit. I'm thinking this area may force me to go to the artisan pizza places in order to get a good fucking pizza. I don't understand how multiple pizza places can have the same shit quality crust that is just bread and not crispy or airy. Seriously. It boggles my fucking mind how multiple places make the same type of dough. Nobody can actually like this shit.
Via Veneto. Give it 1 try