Watch Dogs: Legion

spronk

FPS noob
played two hours on xbox, i actually liked the intro and stuff but got pretty bored after that. I picked it up yesterday at gamestop which is giving a full $59.99 trade back value (in trade credit) if you trade it back in today.

I'll definitely play the game at some point, but its a Ubisoft game with all the levers turned up to a 10, just tons of "capture points, flip zone map to your side, rinse and repeat a bazillion times". Can wait six months for digital ultimate to be 75% off.

Also one really cool thing Ubi is doing now is doing cross saves with Ubi connect, their new name for their backend integrated stuff. You'll be able to save on any platform and download that save on another platform. Play on PC a bit, then continue on xbox, then continue on Stadia (lol) or Luna (Amazon), then go back to PC or PS5. All the same save. Its not turned on yet for Watch Dogs as far as I know, and won't be done for previous games, but hoping in six months it works smoothly.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't run poorly for me by any means (3080, 3900x, 32gb ram) but it's not a great looking game - THIS is the "showpiece" game that Nvidia decided to bundle with their l33t new GPU's? It looks arguably worse than GTA V ffs. I've played it with RTX/DLSS on, off, medium settings, ultra settings and the differences aren't striking. They'll probably get there eventually but it still feels like half baked tech, and makes me even more secure in the idea of getting a 6800XT and pawning the 3080 off on Ebay. I keep seeing arguments against the AMD cards stating DLSS is a deal breaker - why? It "works" in this game, marginally? It doesn't totally change the way the game looks or anything and in my catalogue of over 100 games right now between Steam/Epic/Uplay I have 3 games that utilize it? Meh. Ray traced puddles look cool though.

As to the game - it definitely is a buggy mess at times. Waiting on the loading screen to exit out for over a minute is strange. Have had a few bugs where game wouldn't load and would just hang, losing a little bit of my progress. Nothing game breaking yet, but annoying.

The game itself has moments of real fun though, and I find the game play loop pretty fun and its a relaxing game to play. I really like the recruit system, and the hacking feels pretty good. Driving is horrendous though, but once you get the cargo drone it's no big deal zooming around the map on the magic carpet.

This is a definite "wait for sale" game, and I'm not sure it's worth the $60 imo - but as a free Nvidia game it's serving the purpose of getting me through the gaming void between now and Valhalla/CP2077. Uplay+ would also be well worth subscribing to in order to play this and Valhalla in a few weeks.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Getting 60 fps stable at 3440x1440 on Ryzen 3600 + RX 5700 XT with most things on ultra except for shadows, reflections, and texture resolution (which at least in the preview look almost unchanged when you drop it one level). Only one crash so far, so I guess I can't complain about technical performance. Tried it on Geforce Now too and was not particularly impressed. RTX is pretty but the framerate is unplayable on a T10-8 node, even with RTX only set to medium and the rest of the settings on medium/high @ 1080p

I agree with spronk though, after playing up to the point where permadeath actually kicks in (end of tutorial missions, basically) it's just not hooking me. I recruited a construction worker long before the game forced me to and screwed around outside of missions long enough to put a couple districts to Defiant so it wasn't like I just powered through the missions either. The most annoying thing for me is when you get a character that you're going to need to use a lot and they look or sound horrible. And since you'll pretty much never find a "skilled" operative just randomly scanning civilians you're stuck with what the game gives you unless you want to use someone with only 1-2 mediocre perks. That includes the very first character you pick too; he/she is completely useless after you recruit the hacker or construction worker in the tutorial, might as well just pick the cheaper clothing perk as you'll never want to use that character for anything else. At least the premium characters aren't terrible I guess. Not even sure how much more fun it'd be if the Aiden DLC was already available... I suppose it depends on just how much the story dialogue is changed to fit him.

Not that it really matters which character you use, seeing as pretty much everyone can do everything and extra perks or equipment don't change a whole lot. Any character can sit outside the red area and use drones to clear the whole place and often complete the missions as well, and since you're not actually in restricted area yourself until every enemy is neutralized there's zero risk from anything besides enemy drones (so spend all your skill points getting the ability to hack them ASAP).

Last edited:

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the intro was pretty cool and you get to like the person you are playing and then it's like nope you're a random person now. I want to play the game as James bond. I bet he's the bad guy at the end from being converted. That's my way out of left field prognostication

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Maybe it's the Ultrawide thats messing with my DLSS because it does not do anything for the fps in this game.

And as Springbook said, it looks pretty crappy, at least the character models and their faces.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I get a solid 85 fps at 3440x1440 with dlss but around 60 without. Patch doesn't seem to have changed that. I'm on a i9, 2080 and 32 GB of memory.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
"but it's not a great looking game"

With all due respect but something's wrong with your setup or whatever. This is an amazing looking game. I spent the first two hours just walking through London.

Vorph

With all due respect but something's wrong with your setup or whatever. This is an amazing looking game. I spent the first two hours just walking through London.
I don't think people are talking about geometry and texture resolution and other GPU bells and whistles. It's fine there--nothing particularly earth-shattering or bleeding edge in terms of graphics, but it's respectable for a current+next gen game.

It's the more subjective/artistic stuff that is questionable. Character models and especially faces range from "maybe not a total CHUD" to "kill it with fire", sometimes to a degree that hasn't been seen since ME: Andromeda. Some animations are really bad too, especially hand to hand fighting. It's like they spent a year getting the gun kata moves for one character looking great then realized they had a couple days to come up with fighting animations that the other 99% of characters would use. Cars aren't great either; there's not that many models and while I suppose a bunch of generic looking EV concept car designs fit the setting I don't like any of them much.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think people are talking about geometry and texture resolution and other GPU bells and whistles. It's fine there--nothing particularly earth-shattering or bleeding edge in terms of graphics, but it's respectable for a current+next gen game.

It's the more subjective/artistic stuff that is questionable. Character models and especially faces range from "maybe not a total CHUD" to "kill it with fire", sometimes to a degree that hasn't been seen since ME: Andromeda. Some animations are really bad too, especially hand to hand fighting. It's like they spent a year getting the gun kata moves for one character looking great then realized they had a couple days to come up with fighting animations that the other 99% of characters would use. Cars aren't great either; there's not that many models and while I suppose a bunch of generic looking EV concept car designs fit the setting I don't like any of them much.

I was thinking the lack of character depth is somewhat on purpose since they are considered disposable. You can give them items to wear but the faces and whatnot are generic basic faces. I restarted with permadeath options on so I'm certainly not gonna miss anyone who goes away because they all look relatively the same

Vorph

I was thinking the lack of character depth is somewhat on purpose since they are considered disposable. You can give them items to wear but the faces and whatnot are generic basic faces. I restarted with permadeath options on so I'm certainly not gonna miss anyone who goes away because they all look relatively the same
They really aren't disposable though. The operatives you get from main missions have more/better perks than any of the random jackasses roaming the city. Characters like the hacker you get at the beginning, the hitman, the spy, and the beekeeper are irreplaceable. Of course you could still finish the game with just randoms like the construction worker types and Albion agents because the game isn't difficult at all but it's not what I'd call ideal.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Just fyi because I missed it but you have to download the high res texture pack on it's own. It's an extra 15gigs.

Aazrael

Started playing while waiting for AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk. The game is fine I guess. I find myself oonly using the Spy and killing everything with the Silenced Pistol and flying around on a drone. Don't see a need yet to do it any other way, unlocked most of the boroughs, got 2 left I think.

Vorph

I like the hitman the best. Give him the silenced pistol instead of his shitty desert eagle and he can basically just John Wick his way through an area and put down everyone without raising an alarm. And should the shit actually hit the fan, he has the G36 to mow down anything that does get in the way. Gun kata and the dodge roll are two of a very short list actual unique abilities out of all the "classes".

I think the most disappointing aspect of the character system is how lame the ones you get from enemy factions are. Disguises in general aren't particularly useful to begin with, but it's extra dumb how the Albion and Kelley recruits just become exactly the same as everyone else the moment you complete their missions. My Albion recruit doesn't even work right either. I put on her uniform and nothing happens when I enter Albion areas; the mask goes on immediately and everyone attacks on sight.

One bit of advice for people playing permadeath -- if you get a mission that talks about the recruit having pissed off the Kelley clan because they won a bareknuckle fight they weren't supposed to just don't even try it. You end up having to hold off several SUVs full of Kelley dudes on a street where there's likely no cover to speak of and there's a very good chance you're just going to die. Instead use the deep research thing and just do one of the other things the person wants... they'll still join and you never have to do the mission of death.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

I'll try the hitman, never even used him yet.

I see the problem with the performance though, my GPU only sits at 60-70% load. If I fire up Shadows of the Tomb Raider it goes up to 98-99%. Badly optimized? Not sure but it seems it uses more CPU and less GPU than it should.

How do you give the hitman the silenced gun? I can't chose it in his loadout.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'll try the hitman, never even used him yet.

I see the problem with the performance though, my GPU only sits at 60-70% load. If I fire up Shadows of the Tomb Raider it goes up to 98-99%. Badly optimized? Not sure but it seems it uses more CPU and less GPU than it should.

Pretty much all Ubisoft games suffer from single core bottlenecks. If you monitor your core/thread usage with a fast poll rate while playing, you'll see that one of the cores will be pegging 95-100%.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

I meant the DedSec pistol, just buy the two upgrades for it in Tech. The silenced guns are "unique" so you can't share them with other operatives unfrotunately. I'd love to give my John Wick dude the silenced MP5 that the premium DLC guy came with, but it won't let me do that either.

Wish there was a full list of skills somewhere. I found a dude with cheaper paint jobs (which is fairly useless, just interesting because I've never seen it except that one time) but he has the annoying Shopaholic flaw too. I thought I had found all the other useful team-wide passives that you can keep on operatives you never use but I'm not sure about that now.