Watcher (2022)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Watcher (2022)

Tagline: Evil wants to be seen.

Genre: Mystery, Thriller, Horror

Director: Chloe Okuno

Cast: Maika Monroe, Karl Glusman, Burn Gorman, Tudor Petruț, Gabriela Butuc, Madalina Anea, Cristina Deleanu, Bogdan Farcaș, Daniel Nuta, Ioana Abur, Flaviu Crisan, Ștefan Iancu, Florian Ghimpu, Lucian Ionescu, Radu Bunescu, Alexandru Ion, Ciprian Chiriches, Ionut Grama, Simona Pătruleasa, Ioana Hirica, Alice Cora Mihalache, Aida Economu, Andreea Sovan, Adrian Radulescu, Petre Moraru, Marius Cobzariu

Release: 2022-06-03

Runtime: 91

Plot: As a serial killer stalks the city, Julia — a young actress who just moved to town with her husband — notices a mysterious stranger watching her from across the street.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Strong recommend for anyone a fan of Hitchcock and tension. The climax fucks also-- which I can't say for too many movies these days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Looks good, will likely check it out.

I had to check that the main actress wasn't Gwen Stefani's much better looking daughter (she isn't). Some angles she has exactly the same profile to my eye.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I go into IFC/Shudder distributed movies with a very low bar. I saw this movie had Dubai funding. I immediately pictured some filthy Sheikh bankrolling a mutual friend of a friend. I braced for the worst but felt better after confirming it had a theatrical release. Critics and audience alike found consensus.

1656135422484.png

Also having taken a class that focused on Hitchcock, I was interested to see the homage and respect paid to one of the greats. I'd say it measured up. A good modern take on a Hitchcock movie.

• 1Great Review
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
I watched this during a recent binge of 4 new horror/suspense movies. This was really well done and was very suspenseful and atmospheric. I've seen it done a couple times so far but the fish out of water trope has turned into a very useful foil to modern technology and the ever present issue of trying to figure out how to nullify smart phone usage in modern suspense and horror. The language barrier made the protagonist's journey that much more isolated and added a lot to the old school Hitchcock vibe. I would take the leap and say that this is one of the top tier Hitchcock homage films that I've seen. Very strong cast and cinematography. The story, while almost identically borrowing its beats from Hitchcock, actually followed that blueprint well and the tension and pacing were perfect for what they were going for and lead to an earned payoff at the end, although the end was probably the weakest part in my opinion and the last few minutes felt rushed but the journey up to that point handled itself quite well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Looks good, will likely check it out.

I had to check that the main actress wasn't Gwen Stefani's much better looking daughter (she isn't). Some angles she has exactly the same profile to my eye.
DooD! Did you not see It Follows or The Guest?? Both quality movies.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
DooD! Did you not see It Follows or The Guest?? Both quality movies.
Nope, maybe I'll check them out if I like this one. Particularly if you tell me she gets nekkid. She still looks like a much more attractive young Gwen Stefani though!

EDIT: Went and checked, I did watch Tau, which she was in apparently.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Nope, maybe I'll check them out if I like this one. Particularly if you tell me she gets nekkid. She still looks like a much more attractive young Gwen Stefani though!
I am pretty sure she has never shown her teetays.

Those two movies are def worth a watch regardless.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Watched this tonight and it was excellent. Had good suspense and made you keep guessing until the end.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database