Waterworld (1995)

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 2 Votes
Title: Waterworld (1995)

Tagline: Beyond the horizon lies the secret to a new beginning.

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Kevin Reynolds

Cast: Kevin Costner, Dennis Hopper, Jeanne Tripplehorn, R.D. Call, Gerard Murphy, Rick Aviles, Michael Jeter, Kim Coates, Chaim Girafi, Zitto Kazann, Jack Black, Zakes Mokae, Jack Kehler, Tina Majorino, Rita Zohar, Leonardo Cimino, Lanny Flaherty, Robert A. Silverman, Sab Shimono, Henry Kapono Ka'aihue, Neil Giuntoli, Robert Joy, John Fleck, Greg Goossen, William Preston, John Toles-Bey, Ari Barak, Chris Douridas, Alexa Jago, Sean Whalen, Robert LaSardo, Lee Arenberg, Doug Spinuzza, Hal Douglas, Anne Gaybis, Annie Costner, John Otrin, Michael Haddad

Release: 1995-07-28

Runtime: 135

Plot: In a futuristic world where the polar ice caps have melted and made Earth a liquid planet, a beautiful barmaid rescues a mutant seafarer from a floating island prison. They escape, along with her young charge, Enola, and sail off aboard his ship.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
High potential but I gotta tell you, those special effects and the score just dont hold up.

It tries to be a mix of Mad Max and Indiana Jones but doesnt have the grit of MM nor the charm of IJ

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
One of the few legitimately shitty movies that are actually underrated due to how much it gets shit on. The Nickleback of movies if you will

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The critics don't like sci-fi and end of the world stuff. Especially back then. Remember they all panned Blade Runner too.

This movie isn't on the level of Blade Runner, but I enjoyed it. The lack of computer graphics is refreshing. It's expensive to film in water, so you probably won't see another like this.

I also liked The Postman, another Costner end of the world film the critics panned.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Siliconemelons

I loved this movie as a kid, I also loved The Postman - and Robin Hood POT- but none of them because of Costner - he just happened to be the star. I loved and still do love Mid/Renaissance, Fantasy and Post-Apocalyptic movies and these all fit the bill.

I actually always like Waterworld, it hit more of the vibes of Beyond Thunderdome than RoadWarrior (and postman actually is more MM than RoadWarrior) - and I liked them all... while I am in the camp of Thunderdome is 2.5 movies in 1, I still like it. Some of the grit of RoadWarrior was a product of the time more than a product of its intent, it just happened to all really work together and made a great movie. I also loved Willow as a kid and am trying to re-watch it with my kids, but...they are girls, they really dont like that genera even with a baby.

You want gritty, watch Flesh+Blood

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
I loved this movie as a kid, I also loved The Postman - and Robin Hood POT- but none of them because of Costner - he just happened to be the star. I loved and still do love Mid/Renaissance, Fantasy and Post-Apocalyptic movies and these all fit the bill.

I actually always like Waterworld, it hit more of the vibes of Beyond Thunderdome than RoadWarrior (and postman actually is more MM than RoadWarrior) - and I liked them all... while I am in the camp of Thunderdome is 2.5 movies in 1, I still like it. Some of the grit of RoadWarrior was a product of the time more than a product of its intent, it just happened to all really work together and made a great movie. I also loved Willow as a kid and am trying to re-watch it with my kids, but...they are girls, they really dont like that genera even with a baby.

You want gritty, watch Flesh+Blood
I think there has been several Flesh and Bloods not related in plot. The one I remember and loved is the plague one. Underrated movie that I always thought would be the adult cult version of The Princess Bride.

As for Waterworld, people love to shit on it but I enjoyed it. My favorite line is the old man down in the gas tank when the flame was coming down. Oh thank god

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
(re)Watched this a while back and it didn't age to badly.

Great movie.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I saw it for the first time yesterday. I immediately hated the music score but I could see where they were coming from. 2 Indiana Jones movies came out less than 10 years ago and they wanted a more playful, less serious tone to the movie to try and recapture that lightning in the bottle. Waterworld's score is basically Indiana Jones score. And the little girl kind of reminded me of Short Round. But the topic and the setting really didnt fit that score. It probably would have been way better if Dennis Hopper wasnt so hammy and the film was more serious and ominous like Mad Max Fury Road.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
giphy.gif

Masterpiece.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

I still make Waterworld jokes in online games and no one gets them

person mentions some rare thing that never happens

me: (thing) is a myth, just like dry land!

crickets :(

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I always enjoyed this movie, and Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot.

This and Dances With Wolves used to come on HBO all the time, and when I had a roommate in my 20s, if we flipped the channel and either of those movies was on we pretty much just watched the rest of it. Of course, we did the same thing with the spanish channel, except you had to wait until an ugly chick came on screen before you could change it.

Ta tonka.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I always enjoyed this movie, and Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot.

This and Dances With Wolves used to come on HBO all the time, and when I had a roommate in my 20s, if we flipped the channel and either of those movies was on we pretty much just watched the rest of it. Of course, we did the same thing with the spanish channel, except you had to wait until an ugly chick came on screen before you could change it.

Ta tonka.

Jean Tripplehorn was the reason I liked it as much as I did back in my teen years. I also found her hotter that Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. I guess I like my brunettes.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Jean Tripplehorn was the reason I liked it as much as I did back in my teen years. I also found her hotter that Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. I guess I like my brunettes.

True - Stone was imo popular just because she flashed the beeve... never really thought of her as overly attractive. But I am also attracted to Asian facial features so I like "exotic" looking females more than "white" and Tripplehorn in WW had more of that look than Stone's - plain (imo) white girl look

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jeanne's sex scene in basic instinct were better than any of sharon stones

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I agree. However, Sharon Stone was an absolute smokeshow in Total Recall. So, no complaints here.

Total+Recall-Sharon+Stone-Lori[1].jpg

• 3Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database