Weather

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's finally managed to get over 32 degrees, here in Jersey the last few days. Which has turned into this.

rrr_img_60687.jpg

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
It's been freakishly cold here in Aus right now, and has been all summer. Usually January & February are nonstop 35 - 45, only occasionally ducking below that, but all summer we've been hovering around 20 - 30, sometimes even lower (it was 16 earlier today). We also had some heavy rain over the last few weeks (2 - 3 days straight a week ago) when usually this is our dry season (in South Australia anyway).

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like how as winter drags on, the county/city basically just gives up on keeping the streets clean. We had 4 inches or so last night in Cleveland, not a fucking plow in site until this morning. And they just kinda pushed it around, not actually cleaned it 100% completely up with an inch of salt down like they do when it snows in December.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A lot of Chicago suburbs are completely out of salt at this point, and if they can get it, they are paying almost 1000% more per ton. Our last significant snow a couple weeks ago was pretty brutal because plows waited until it was completely finished and then essentially plowed the middle of the street and that was it. Luckily we got about three days in a row of near 50 degree temps so that melted 75% of the snow build up.

Unfortunately its fucking 5 degrees here again today and will be colder tomorrow. Then we are expected to get another 6 to 9 inches between Friday night and Sunday night. Fuck this winter.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I still love the winter. We're going sledding again tomorrow. Cold as crap here today, so we're hunkered down in front of the fire. Lots of hot chocolate. Board games later.

Fun times!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It's raining in California! That's exciting. Here's Folsom Lake near Sacramento. Doesn't look good.

rrr_img_61300.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm willing to bet some of that has to do with how badly the budget has been blown at this point.
Yeah, I think they usually budget enough OT for 3 or 4 good storms per winter and if you get 3 or 4 in December then it's going to be slim pickings for the rest of the year. Also there is a thing where the snow plow drivers are excited about making OT for the first few weeks but once there's been a month of plowing in the middle of the night they are less motivated by OT and more tired and sick of driving the shit so it gets harder to convince them to rush out and plow streets. My neighbor is a road maintenance guy and you can watch him go from motivated to miserable over the course of a long snowy winter.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We've transitioned into just enough snow to make your morning commute suck then gone by lunch period.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
More snow for the east coast on Monday. Possibly a massive one. Get the feeling this is going to be one of those years we go right from winter to summer.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why doesnt Cali just invest in a desalinization plant?
There's a lot of research into desalination, but it's pretty expensive. As tech improves and cost of water increases it'll become more viable, but for now it's more of a research field than a mass production one.

Israel and Saudi arabia are much more reliant on desalination plants and are two of the leaders in the field.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, a billion capital cost and $50 million operating cost to produce 50 mgd is pretty crazy.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Didn't know it was that expensive to run. I saw a show on the one in Saudi Arabia but I don't remember them covering costs of running it.