Weather

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is your apartment in an apartment building? I found our last apartment we had to actually run the AC in the winter because of how hot it would get due to the adjacent units. Also I'm heating 3 floors.

I'm definitely considering natural gas, just need to call and figure out what my up-front cost is going to be.

The $500 bill was a mistake. I turned off my boiler and let my heat pumps do all the work.. no good.

I'm still paying a lot for electricity, but it's less now. Oil is outrageous, but I knew that coming into the house.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Natural gas is the way to go. I'm on propane and its ok but still gets expensive to really keep the heat going, I keep mine at 63, if I'm home and really feeling the chill I might go up to the mid or high 60's for a bit at times. Then I supplement with those electric oil filled space heater radiators.

Oil and electric heat will murder you in heating bills though, which is what I think most of the people paying $500 a month and shit are stuck with. Oil is cheaper this year but with the higher cost of oil in recent years I've heard of people topping a grand a month easy trying to heat larger houses with an oil furnace.

I've heard pellet stoves/inserts are as good as a regular wood stove and a bit less hassle. Gotta stock up on pellets in summer when they are cheap though from what I understand.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My stepfather had a pellet stove and I hated it. The heat coming from it was crazy, that's for sure, but it required you to refill it every 20-30 minutes while it was running. He also got screwed where the first year pellets were crazy cheap but then the next year pellet stoves really took off and the price easily doubled.

Oldbased

> Than U
Those things are a major fire hazard too aren't they? I'm sure they can be fine if you take proper precautions and all.
Yes. Although this one does have a heat screen, knock over shutoff, low oxygen shutoff and attachment rotates with rubber gasket and magnetic tank holding system.
Pretty nice features for a $80 heater.
I sit it on a 3/4 vinyl coated 2x2 board but it does put out some heat and would for sure ignite something close.
Portable Buddy Heater

Edit motion sensor went off about 30 mins ago. I checked it thinking it was a bird again eating food for the stray since it is 9 outside and he hasn't been seen since Sunday. Nope. 3 minutes later he had a meal fit for a king and vanished again.

rrr_img_90819.jpg

rrr_img_90820.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The apartment complex I live in gets their damn money's worth out of their landscaping contractor. It's 14? outside; lawnmowers and leaf blowers a hummin'.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My eyes started watering from the sunglare when I was shoveling, and they literally froze to my fucking face.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
We are getting somewhere between 1-12" of snow/ice before it converts to rain, which should happen sometime between 3pm-3am Saturday. Every forecaster takes a different range/time and rolls with it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's absolute bullshit, but I've accepted my fate. Sunday it's supposed to be in the mid-40's. I'm hoping a bunch of the ice melts at least, even though it will just re-freeze. Our streets are in terrible shape here, almost every street is one lane.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I wanted to go to my office, but there was a travel ban here today, so I went on the snowmobile. Didn't even have to get off the roads, everything is still so covered. Cold, too. I was totally wrapped up, but had to keep my head below my windshield or I'd have literal brain freeze. I love it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So every day that is really warm this summer I can come in here and say, "See, guys? Global warming!"

It's climate change, people. Keep up.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A one degree rise in global average temperature per decade does not suddenly mean it won't be cold ever again. Stupid people are stupid.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Anyone thinking temps are going to continue to rise 1 degree per decade might not be so bright either.