Weather

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I got my power and internet back only day after, and i'm on the eastern coast of SC. Gotta give props to all these electric company workers out here, we went from having an est 1,000,000 without power on Day 1, to 700,000 on Day 2, and as of last night it was already down to 400,000 or lower by now i'm sure. They really busted their ass to get the grid back up and running.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I will probably lose power for a over fucking week like I did last November. Fuck me.

Hey but at least this time it will be way warmer, last year it was down in the teens and maybe a lil lower at night. Weather in the 40s-50s all week should make it a much easier outage to deal with.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Feeling pretty lucky so far, it has been windy but nothing like they originally described. *fingers crossed*

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I9Hhrw.jpg

• 1Like

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Meanwhile in Canada, I'm on the fence on whether to shovel or use my snowblower to clean my driveway. We pretty much had exactly one week of fall, we flipped from summer to winter in a blink.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
it is hailing here today and it is October.

Heard it was going to be a hard winter with lots of snow compared to almost zero snow last winter.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not really "weather" related but 5.3 earthquake in Cushing OK tonight, which isn't good for obvious reasons but Cushing is the epicenter for the oil pipelines coming in and heading south and all the infrastructure that goes with it. See that location on a lot of storage shit we do.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
My buddies in OK were just telling me about that but coming from California I don't get interested until a 6.0 or greater. If it's a big pipeline area it might be bad though.

• 1Like

Borzak

I would be more concerned with the oil storage facilities. They literally are the very terminal end coming down on what would be the pipeline to Canada. They have the ability store months and months of oil. I would think a lot of oil getting moving would not be great. The pipelines wouldn't be a big concern, who knows tho. But in that area everything has the ability to be isolated and quickly shut off.

Basically from what I've read all the oil pumped out of the ground in OK and the west/NW of the US gathers there before being pumped down to the gulf coast for refining.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
At 5.3 I'm sure it's fine. I would imagine earthquakes would be some kind of consideration when building but who knows.

• 1Like

Borzak

Lot more faith I have lol. API, who sets the codes for above ground and on ground oil storage (and tons of other petroleum industry stuff) has always played catchup. In 1989 Exxon had a major blowout/explostion at a tank farm when it got to -2F in an area where it wasn't supposed to get to -2F. Blew out of a few blocks of houses and such. It was just in the last 10 years that went from a minmum of 3/16" steel on storage tanks to 1/4" and that was mostly due to availability. You would think the API would have a chart like everything else but apparently not, not in my 450 or 650 standards for API oil storage contruction lol.

Since this many earthquakes is relatively new to OK and the gulf south, hopefully they catch up. But we would have heard about it by now. I would assume every tank is at full or near full with the price of oil taking a recent nosedive.

• 1Like

Borzak

7.4 in New Zealand apparently. Now upgraded to 7.8

Now with Tsunami warning.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
7.4 in New Zealand apparently. Now upgraded to 7.8

Now with Tsunami warning.
Earthquake was some next level shit.

mooo.jpg

I'm guessing cave systems and pretty sure that is a river mixed in with the dirt in the background. Either was underground or displaced to being underground by the time it was done.
Took photo from Fox.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users