Weather

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Deep snow like that is totally normal in the Sierra's. Not at Lake Tahoe usually, but it happens every time there's a high precip winter. I had a friend who was a park ranger at a ski-in back country cabin and his place got buried so deep that he had to climb out a second story window and ski down the mountain to safety. Basic situation was if he couldn't stay on top of his skis and get himself out of there they probably would have had to look for him in the spring. There will be places in narrow valleys up there where the snow gets to be 40+ feet deep.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Deep snow like that is totally normal in the Sierra's. Not at Lake Tahoe usually, but it happens every time there's a high precip winter. I had a friend who was a park ranger at a ski-in back country cabin and his place got buried so deep that he had to climb out a second story window and ski down the mountain to safety. Basic situation was if he couldn't stay on top of his skis and get himself out of there they probably would have had to look for him in the spring. There will be places in narrow valleys up there where the snow gets to be 40+ feet deep.

southern sierras has the largest snowpack (based on water content) in recorded history - good chance central will also end up with the record and probably north as well, given we're still in line for wet weather through April - this is definitely an historic event

1678763486339.png

good thread on it

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How much of the snowmelt will be captured in reservoirs as compared to how much will instantly go out to the ocean?

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't mean to suggest that this year isn't exceptional, just that they get crazy snow in the Sierra's. I think the 18-19 winter was the year my friend had to abandon the cabin.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
When I was a kid we lived in the foothills about an hour north of Sacramento. From what I recall we’d usually get a storm every year that would bring in 6 or so inches but melt off in a couple days. The first or second winter (1989?) up there we got 3’. Fortunately had a little kabota tractor my dad used to clear the road for everyone.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
southern sierras has the largest snowpack (based on water content) in recorded history - good chance central will also end up with the record and probably north as well, given we're still in line for wet weather through April - this is definitely an historic event

View attachment 463337

good thread on it

Neat. I'm going to try to see if I can find pictures from Mammoth.

I know like 4-5 years ago they had a near record amount.

Edit: Can't find any pictures. Looks like they've got 50 feet, but that's 6 feet short of the record. And as far as snow in California...where do you think the LA aqueduct gets its water?

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
How much of the snowmelt will be captured in reservoirs as compared to how much will instantly go out to the ocean?

Probably a small percent, but hopefully they'll be full so we don't have to hear about our mega drought for a few years.

Most important is the aquifers being recharged though - a ca water issue that actually worries me. Newson and his puppeteers really want to go after wells and now they'll have less of an excuse.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Getting heavy sideways snow right now and its 37 degrees. All the benefits of snow without any of it sticking.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw a storm like that once... we were staying along the Gulf outside of Tampa, Redington Beach area, and there was a storm over the bay into Tampa proper that had lightning like that for 30-45 minutes easily. Was pretty cool.

• 1Like

Borzak

This is going to suck. A few days ago was up to 85. Everything is greened out, azelezs are bloomed, blueberries putting on along wit lots of other stuff. Forecast tonight 24F.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This is going to suck. A few days ago was up to 85. Everything is greened out, azelezs are bloomed, blueberries putting on along wit lots of other stuff. Forecast tonight 24F.
Glad I was too lazy to plant my shit in late February like I normally do. Every four or five years we get a nasty frost late like this, and when it happens I gotta buy all the veggies again.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed. Planted grass seed thinking we were finally warm enough, as the lows were in the mid 50's, and highs getting close to 80.

And then this shit comes along and will kill everything.

We also planted a bunch of flower bed type stuff. I'm hoping it's all hardy enough to withstand this, but we'll see.

Borzak

Small things we could cover. But azaleas take up a large part of the property. 5 different varieties/colors in large groups each probably 20' deep by 50' each and 12' tall.

Hopefully this is it, 24F tonight and forecast of 80 by Tuesday. Pick one and stick to it for more than a day.

Goatface

it was about 18 this morning, some geese flew by heading back south making the most noise i have ever heard from them.