Web Serials

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Him being the whiniest bitch in a sea of whiney bitch authors doesn't help.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Been a while since I picked up anything new that was good.

New one from Macronomicon, usual madcap insanity but tilted more toward comedy than Wake or Soulmonger. It's a bit like 'The Gamer' webtoon, in that it's a superhero/magic universe and the main character's abilities manifest as making everything like a video game. MC is a highschooler, and a cheerfully autistic sociopath.

I have *really* liked this one so far, Perry's parents in particular, they are absolutely hilarious.

Only read the first book of this, but it was a good read, and change of pace. Um, let's see - post-apocalyptic setting with surviving humans scavenging ruins and destroyed tech in a frozen hellscape, except the few that live deep underground in fortified cities that have to deal with constant self-replicating robot attacks. Interesting mix of technologies, with some people using hand built firearms, and the lucky few using ancient self-repairing sets of power armor.

I got a kick out of futuristic ice pirates using excel95 to keep track of their loot because it was the last DRM free accounting software the human race produced. Then I got slightly depressed at how plausible that was. ( OpenOffice isn't *technically* DRM'ed but good fucking luck finding a copy with a physical installation media and getting it running without the internet )

• 2Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The first book of 12 Miles was good, then book 2 starts and everything that was established before is made irrelevant. All of the super rare equipment like armor and swords suddenly become common, their immortal leader loses all of his mystique and is sidelined. To replace him we get a Gary Stu wonder boy inventor and his combat god sister butting heads with an AI monster chick that is on a spiritual journey to become more human. It's all so tiresome.

As for recommendations, Jackal Among Snakes has continued to deliver.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Top ones for me right now are Jackal Among Snakes, Beware of Chicken, Double-Blind, Paranoid Mage, and Millennial Mage in no particular order

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Dawn of the Void - a LitRPG Apocalypse | Royal Road

This one is surprisingly good. I ignored it for a while because apocalypse litrpg are a dime a dozen, but this one plays out quite differently - it's much more about the apocalypse part than the litrpg part.
Phil Tucker first novel, Bastion, was a pretty good progression fantasy. He also has a Viking-themed progression fantasy on RR which failed to get traction, but that LitRPG is a good apocalypse.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Phil Tucker first novel, Bastion, was a pretty good progression fantasy. He also has a Viking-themed progression fantasy on RR which failed to get traction, but that LitRPG is a good apocalypse.
Didn’t know he was doing RR, but I second Bastion being a pretty good first book.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Jackal Among Snakes is definitely the best one out there right now.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Jackal Among Snakes is definitely the best one out there right now.
Jackal Among Snakes, Beware of Chicken, Double-Blind, and Paranoid Mage are all top tier.

Millennial Mage is also pretty good, and while Path of Ascension isn’t what I would call great I still enjoy it for some reason.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Dungeon devotee is a pretty fun read, too bad the updates are only monthly. On the plus side the author puts a summary at the beginning of each chapter.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Another really good one is 12 miles below. It’s a post apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy blend, I’ve read through book one and so far I really enjoy it

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Another really good one is 12 miles below. It’s a post apocalyptic sci-fi/fantasy blend, I’ve read through book one and so far I really enjoy it

Caught up to current (early book 4). I really like this one, it’s not litrpg at all which is a nice change.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I've enjoyed catching up to current on this one:

Young woman's attempt to attend magic university runs into some snags when her deadbeat dad steals an immensely valuable book and hands it off to her during the getaway, leaving her alone in an unfamiliar city with the police after her.

A run-in with a local ganglord leads to her attempting to continue to attend the university in disguise* and under a false identity, while working with the gang to try and pay off her debts.

Reminds a bit of a more upbeat version of Pith - with the main character trying desperately to live a triple life while juggling an increasingly unstable whirlwind of lies that is going to come crashing down sooner or later.

Was good fun, and something different from the usual RR fare - I particularly liked some of the third party POVs where a bunch of coincidences and mistaken assumptions get misinterpreted in startling ways.

*This isn't quite as dumb as it sounds, for reasons that are vaguely spoilery.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Last Orellan is back to regular submissions. Surprisingly.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Last chapter of Dawn of the Void just dropped, overall a pretty good read with an actual ending (though it still leaves a bit open)

• 2Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
3 billion points aren't going to spend themselves...
It also doesn’t really answer the big question of what is really going on outside of earth. And if the Eluthaarii are just going to give it up now that most of the energy in the sector is already spent or if they are going to be vindictive about it.

velk

Trakanon Raider
It also doesn’t really answer the big question of what is really going on outside of earth. And if the Eluthaarii are just going to give it up now that most of the energy in the sector is already spent or if they are going to be vindictive about it.

They didn't seem to be evil, just amoral - if fucking with people will get them what they want, they will fuck with people. If it's impossible for them to get what they want, why bother ?
To be honest, I'd be more worried that the enemy they wanted James to protect that sector against shows up and WTFpwns everyone, because why wouldn't they ?

On a non-spoiler front, I was very happy with how that wrapped things up - well-written, memorable characters, a different take on things and best of all, a coherent story arc that leads into a satisfying ending.

• 1Solidarity