Web Serials

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And chapter 80 was released this morning. So at least he's holding true to what he said he'd do.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Man, wht a shit ending battle in Superworld. I was able to hand wave away the time travel shit, but the most recent chapter makes no sense given the rules that he had set for psychics in previous chapters.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Man, wht a shit ending battle in Superworld. I was able to hand wave away the time travel shit, but the most recent chapter makes no sense given the rules that he had set for psychics in previous chapters.

Unlike regular psychic powers, thoughts&prayers™ works through TV 8)

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
He said he's publicly re-reading and then posting the prior patreon chapters to get in the right mindset for continuing the story. I was actually surprised at how positive the RR comments were on the return, but I guess it still has a lot of fans.
He went from pulling like $8k a month to $1300 a month despite doing nothing for a solid half year.

I really liked Magic Smithing but a lot of these authors are such whiney bitches about everything.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Unlike regular psychic powers, thoughts&prayers™ works through TV 8)
It’s so disappointing. I really liked the first half to 2/3rds of the story, but it really went sideways. The author is getting so much shit in the RR comments section.

Apparently he had already written the story and had tried to get it published and was turned down.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thundamoo (Viga Mortis)

Says this is real good.

Kid finds out his parents are superhoes as well as being supervillains to double down on grifting or something. I'll read it. This site is godawful though.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
With a bit of extra reading time over the xmas break, I've read through a few more serials.

Stories in early days, for when not having an seemingly insurmountable backlog is a plus:

Paranoid Mage - Urban fantasy type setting - successful architect gets caught up in a supernatural shootout and then is immediately arrested for being an unregistered mage. Finding out a bit more about the secret and increasingly suspicious organization governing magic leads the MC to immediately nope out, then take the first opportunity to escape and go on the run.

One of the best starts to a series I've run across on RR, and from an author that actually finished something, overall good signs for a new series.

Jackal Among Snakes - Isekai of the 'wakes up in a game they are familiar with' variety - the MC ends up as a minor villain and decides that given he's stuck there, he might as well go about saving the world following the game's general plot.

Nothing super original, but I found it engaging and entertaining so far. Kind of like Mother of Learning in tone, with using future knowledge of events and people to manipulate things.
I’ve already been reading jackal among snakes, and I agree it definitely leans toward mother of learning in style. Story so far isn’t quite as engrossing, but still a decent start.

Paranoid Mage I hadn’t seen before, so read it. It’s still very early (5 chapters) but I’m with you so far, it’s great. He’s definitely going to get caught and end up back with the magical gestapo

velk

Trakanon Raider
Paranoid Mage - looool

Spatial magic has limited combat applications and is mainly used for transportation - aahahahahahahahahaa.

While it's possible all of GAR are fucking idiots, that they are scared shitless of the spatial archmage suggests that there may be some minor disinformation going on ;p

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Paranoid Mage - looool

Spatial magic has limited combat applications and is mainly used for transportation - aahahahahahahahahaa.

While it's possible all of GAR are fucking idiots, that they are scared shitless of the spatial archmage suggests that there may be some minor disinformation going on ;p
Had a look at the Patreon after he released an extra chapter.

$13,947 per month.

Now we're talking money.

(the next ten chapters are also good, but won't spoil. Except maybe... who needs Gravity Mages? It's just warped space, right?)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I’ve already been reading jackal among snakes, and I agree it definitely leans toward mother of learning in style. Story so far isn’t quite as engrossing, but still a decent start.

Paranoid Mage I hadn’t seen before, so read it. It’s still very early (5 chapters) but I’m with you so far, it’s great. He’s definitely going to get caught and end up back with the magical gestapo
IDK man, a black market spatial mage will be able to fetch a pretty penny.

He is going to get caught up in some shit though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dragon Mage book 2 just wrapped up and book 3 is starting. Dude seems to update his Patreon a lot more than RR though.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
a book gets popular, even if smaller and the money can explode rapidly
even books that do not have a large "backlog" of chapters on patreon.

i do the patreon for my favorite story on royal road- beware of chicken- he only has 2 chapters in advance on patreon.
when i chose to do this he was at ~5k a month, he was at ~10k a month at just prior to christmas, then he took a 2 week break and the climax of the current arc started hitting and he went and is at over 17k a month now. the other favorite i have HWFWM but i have no idea how much he makes, but figure the 5 dollar is the average patreon, then he is doing around 25k a month. he has 20 chapters in advance.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The guy writing Paranoid Mage had his Patreon explode too, I’m not subscribed or anything but it looks like he made a post on Jan 6th that he finally hit $5k/mo stretch goal to write full time, and as of now he is already up to $15k/mo in that short bit of time. I wouldn’t subscribe to it because the pricing is mega retarded, but it’s kinda crazy how fast some of them grow.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
the other favorite i have HWFWM but i have no idea how much he makes, but figure the 5 dollar is the average patreon, then he is doing around 25k a month. he has 20 chapters in advance.

Shirt's numbers are public, he's getting 26k/month at the moment.

Glad to see Inadvisably doing well, Paranoid Mage is quality shit, and wrapping up your reasonably successful ongoing series to start a new one is a ballsy move.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The guy writing Paranoid Mage had his Patreon explode too, I’m not subscribed or anything but it looks like he made a post on Jan 6th that he finally hit $5k/mo stretch goal to write full time, and as of now he is already up to $15k/mo in that short bit of time. I wouldn’t subscribe to it because the pricing is mega retarded, but it’s kinda crazy how fast some of them grow.
He needs to pump out more than a chapter every week or two for $15k a month.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
And chapter 80 was released this morning. So at least he's holding true to what he said he'd do.
So Kosnik4 has now released all 101 chapters on Royal Road. That's good stuff, and he said his first "new" chapter will be out on Thursday. I wish him luck.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
story was good, which is why people are resubscribing.

and hey i was CLOSE for the money for hwfwm.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He is regaining patreon subscribers pretty quickly.
He's up $300 now. He never dropped below $1,450 the entire time he had quit, so he's only gained a little bit of trust back. The rest are probably people that didn't even realize they were subscribed to his patreon.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Paranoid Mage is awesome but its going a bit off the rails here. I think the author is going to have a major world building problem. The magic society is supposedly heavily within guardrails about what "is the proper application of magic." In the sense that if you are a healing affinity mage and recognize that healing magic to fix someone can also be used to seriously fuck people up. This is because you stepped outside of your lane and practiced "forbidden tricks." The only thing stopping this is encouraging mages to never study mundane science or any topic really at even a cursory and superficial level and get "bad ideas."

However the mage world has no problem driving cars, using computers, hiring IT staff, building server rooms, using phones, and so on. All of which require mundane knowledge to work. This is makes it hard for me to suspend the disbelief here. Some characters made passing comments about how mundane shit is dumb and they totally ignore it but then in the next page they're all using and interacting with it. It's not like Harry Potter where the magic world is like strictly divergent and you don't really have to interact with muggle technology in any meaningful way or anything. But you could if you want to.

Seems to me that outlaw mages would be a lot more common because all it takes to be an outlaw mage is to try a few things that you weren't explicitly taught. So everyone is completely unimaginative and goody two shoes by the book rule followers? He'll need to expand a lot more on this part of it for it to make sense in the grander scheme of things.