Web Serials

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finally caught up to current chapter of Ar’Kendrithyst, have enjoyed all of it.

My thoughts on the recent chapters in:

Delve - still boring, nothing happens. Hopefully the Lair they see will fix that. Half of the chapter was literally his status and skills.

Dungeon Crawler Carl - definitely ready for this floor to end, the train lines and stations was a cool idea to start but it has just gotten to be a slog to keep track of. Otherwise as good as always.

He who fights with monsters - he needs to wrap up the return to earth shit soon, but I can already tell he won’t. I know some will disagree, but I’ve been losing interest for awhile now.

Infinite Realm - author seems to not want to write Ryun PoV for some reason, and that’s all anyone gives a shit about. Zach is a bitch “anyone accused of rape needs to be executed, but this girl I’ve been fucking who has murdered hundreds of people? Nah, rehab for her”

Blessed Time - since the next arc is just getting started, hard to really tell where it’s going to go yet. Has a slow update rate with pretty slow chapters, so will probably be awhile before it gets to anything good.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
He Who Fights with Monsters is really fucking up the family reunion. One it's taking too long. Two he's condensing completely unforgivable family actions too quickly. The last chapter on RR just had him talk to his Mom. Who more or less intentionally orchestrated the older brother and his girlfriend getting together while shitting all over Jason.... and now she admitted to it.

Aaaand he's just going to shrug it off with a conversation or two. There's really no doubt about that now. If he wanted closure with the family the cause of him getting kicked out needed to be more ambiguous than it is. Because every single action we've seen, from all parties, is that the best of the family looked the other way even though they knew it was fucked up. The Mom admittedly loves Kaito a lot more than Jason and had no problem kicking his ass to the curb over it, and Kaito and Amy just didn't really give a shit beyond feeling bad. Which they also said directly.

This is not something you can shrug off. If he wanted a bygones be bygones family moment it needed to be about something a lot more fucking stupid than the worst conceivable thing your family could do to you short of killing you. He should have just been a college dropout over something dumb if he wanted to go this route.

Disappointing.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
He Who Fights with Monsters is really fucking up the family reunion. One it's taking too long. Two he's condensing completely unforgivable family actions too quickly. The last chapter on RR just had him talk to his Mom. Who more or less intentionally orchestrated the older brother and his girlfriend getting together while shitting all over Jason.... and now she admitted to it.

Aaaand he's just going to shrug it off with a conversation or two. There's really no doubt about that now.
Guess who isn't going to get Essences and Awakening Stones while the rest of the family gets full sets?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Forget all of the family drama, this shit has turned into a snooze fest. This whole current story arc so far should have been like 10 chapters, tops.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
I am a little vexed by the current Infinite Worlds arc - don't the wardens have some huge hate-on for people who do essence/stat stealing ? I seem to remember him having to prove that all his previous victims were willing. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about that now though ;p

Also Zach is boring, and has somehow managed to make his girlfriend boring as well.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Nah, the different serials vary quite a lot. TWI, for example, tends to be mostly self contained chapters rather than longer continuing arcs.
The Wandering Inn is also insane compared to any webserials. There's times where you think the entire family of Pirateaba must be writing the series.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I am a little vexed by the current Infinite Worlds arc - don't the wardens have some huge hate-on for people who do essence/stat stealing ? I seem to remember him having to prove that all his previous victims were willing. He clearly doesn't give a fuck about that now though ;p

Also Zach is boring, and has somehow managed to make his girlfriend boring as well.
Zach has always been the least interesting of the two rankers from Iteration 7. This continues to be the case.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind the Zach chapters. The author is actually really good about regularly shifting perspectives. I even like his random interludes about other characters in the overworld.

I like the introduction to the highrankers and I look forward to the one on Gemheart. Who seems to be the most aspy of all of them!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Magic Smithing is one I've been enjoying. Updates slow but the last chapter really progressed the story a lot.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Wake of the Ravager isn't bad.

EDIT: Wait, it's fantastic and hilarious. Do recommend.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wake of the Ravager isn't bad.

EDIT: Wait, it's fantastic and hilarious. Do recommend.
The previous series from the author (The Outer Sphere) was in the same vein. Unfortunately, he had problems keeping the series alive, so it ended abruptly. You can see comparing the two he got significantly better.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The previous series from the author (The Outer Sphere) was in the same vein. Unfortunately, he had problems keeping the series alive, so it ended abruptly. You can see comparing the two he got significantly better.
Looks like almost every series he has written us ended with him just dropping it

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Why does Calvin refuse to fuck his harem? Minus Nadia, who is batshit insane and not in a good way.

Ella dogging on him forever and despite being basically irreversibly "married" through magic he doesn't ever touch her despite his overwhelming attraction to her.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Why does Calvin refuse to fuck his harem? Minus Nadia, who is batshit insane and not in a good way.

Ella dogging on him forever and despite being basically irreversibly "married" through magic he doesn't ever touch her despite his overwhelming attraction to her.

Spoiler up chap 35 or so?
He banged Ella, and probably Kala as well, offscreen after the siege. That was the whole 'Is she still a virgin ?', 'I don't know, I was wearing a blindfold' exchange, and the general blackmailing him by threatening to tell Kala's dad what he had been up to for the last week. He's also regularly nailing shadow Kala, which may or may not count from her pov, but certainly does from his ;p

You were right with this recommendation though, I am partway through this one and really enjoying it. The plot has managed to surprise me at almost every turn, which is rare these days. Elliot is a dickhead, but I dig his sense of humor ;p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Magic-Smithing I didn't like as much, it was a bit erm, 'flat' I guess ? Very little emotional resonance from the dialogue or fighting etc. I think it's just writing skill, so could improve with time. It was still ok though, will keep reading.

Ar'Kendrithyst I caught up to current, and really liked it. It's a bit of a cross between Delve and The Wandering Inn, but also a lot of it's own thing. I'm kind of sympathetic to the big bad, especially given they can't really say for sure that he is *wrong*. Given agreeing with him is effectively suicidal it's no wonder that the Shades are a bunch of nihilistic trolls.

Jane is a much more conventional Isekai protagonist than Eric is, and it's an interesting contrast that makes it very clear that there is something deeply wrong with her. Although, this probably isn't an uncommon trait in CIA field operatives in the real world I guess.

My not-so-nostradamus prediction is that Eric is totally going to nice-guy his way into being a Sith Lord, heh. He bought Candlepoint hook, line and sinker, even *knowing 100%* that it is not just an obvious trap, but an *actual* trap. The great thing is that it is all in a completely believable way - it's just who he is.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users