Website Content management software

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So in my current role I made my employer a sort of knowledge base website for all their training documentation. I just use an editor their IT team put in place (ckeditor I think) so it's not a handcoded by any means, but it has a lot of text and embedded videos. It's gotten pretty big over the months. About 150+ pages.

I've been using an Excel sheet to track all the pages, noting what needs to be updated, keeping track of video links I've embedded to each page. Just a way to track the current status of every page and what I need to add, or if something needs to be flagged for updates.

Is there software out there where I can easily track all my pages and make notes on what I need done with each page?

For example there was a small update that impacts a bunch of screenshots I need to replace on multiple pages. Right now I just go into my Excel tracker and highlight those pages in red, and maybe add a comment or "note" cell that details what needs to be changed. Then as I make the updates to each page I'll remove the red highlight, until the tracker is all "green" again.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So in my current role I made my employer a sort of knowledge base website for all their training documentation. I just use an editor their IT team put in place (ckeditor I think) so it's not a handcoded by any means, but it has a lot of text and embedded videos. It's gotten pretty big over the months. About 150+ pages.

I've been using an Excel sheet to track all the pages, noting what needs to be updated, keeping track of video links I've embedded to each page. Just a way to track the current status of every page and what I need to add, or if something needs to be flagged for updates.

Is there software out there where I can easily track all my pages and make notes on what I need done with each page?

For example there was a small update that impacts a bunch of screenshots I need to replace on multiple pages. Right now I just go into my Excel tracker and highlight those pages in red, and maybe add a comment or "note" cell that details what needs to be changed. Then as I make the updates to each page I'll remove the red highlight, until the tracker is all "green" again.
Maybe switch to a legit wiki?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

setup a wiki, wikidot is like 50bucks a month, more if you need more members, or loadup wordpress and use knowledgebase, thats just a 40$ plugin wiki.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Nope. Stuck with this ghetto site. It's one of those "make it work with what we gave you" deals.

If I had my way I'd be using JiveSoftware for this thing.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Then yeah I think your method is pretty good actually. If you used sharepoint you could do some scheduled emails maybe.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There used to be a product called interwoven teamsite that was this weird flat file "CMS" that basically did exactly what you are asking. If it still exists it's probably expensive and non-trivial to set up. I did however develop a script way back in the day that would look for a "last updated" meta tag and would spit out a report of all the HTML pages that either didn't have the tag or the date was older than 6 months. Problem of course is that you have to remember to use the tag on every page or it doesn't help much.