Weight Loss Thread

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Breakfast:
- Greek Yogurt
- Micronutrient juice (Odwalla/Bolthouse Farms/Etc) - Leftover habit from chemo, maybe too much sugar early in the day?
- 1 serving non-salted dry roasted peanuts

Morning Snack:
Why are you eating peanuts, they're technically not even a nut. So many better alternatives, cashews, walnuts, brazils etc.

And for eating processeed shit like cheese strings? lol fail

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
You could also try upping to 2 protein shakes a day, but replacing the milk with water or skim (some flavors are much better for this for me, like chocolate mint) to cut down on the calories. A protein shake will fill you up significantly more than a small bag of nuts.

Another good option would be to eat a can of a "healthy" soup (low sodium low calories) instead of the nuts. Filling and won't bust your caloric needs.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You could also try upping to 2 protein shakes a day, but replacing the milk with water or skim (some flavors are much better for this for me, like chocolate mint) to cut down on the calories. A protein shake will fill you up significantly more than a small bag of nuts.

Another good option would be to eat a can of a "healthy" soup (low sodium low calories) instead of the nuts. Filling and won't bust your caloric needs.
That's a good idea. I rarely drink whole milk, so if I can get by doing 2x shakes (one in the afternoon) and use 2% milk, that would likely get me where I should be calorie-wise and still fill me up.

I'll definitely give the soup a go. I don't have a place to cook things at work, so it may be tough to do that for lunch.

That's a good idea. I rarely drink whole milk, so if I can get by doing 2x shakes (one in the afternoon) and use 2% milk, that would likely get me where I should be calorie-wise and still fill me up.

I'll definitely give the soup a go. I don't have a place to cook things at work, so it may be tough to do that for lunch.
You are recovering from cancer. Just eat man. Eat shit you like, have fun, just exercise as much as you can within reason. It doesn't have to be garbage though. Take a multivitamin, eat lean burgers, chicken sandwiches, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, greek yogurt, eat shit you like. No reason in the world to eat strict after you just went through hell.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You are recovering from cancer. Just eat man. Eat shit you like, have fun, just exercise as much as you can within reason. It doesn't have to be garbage though. Take a multivitamin, eat lean burgers, chicken sandwiches, oatmeal, quinoa, rice, greek yogurt, eat shit you like. No reason in the world to eat strict after you just went through hell.
That's the hardest part is actually finding the desire to eat again. Finding things that are calorie dense and aren't awful for me has been a struggle. You're totally right though, I should be eating everything that sounds good now that it doesn't hit escape velocity the moment it hits my stomach. It's a learning experience for sure. Thanks mate

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Sounds like the perfect excuse to live in food heaven and pound nothing but pizza rolls all day every day.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's the hardest part is actually finding the desire to eat again. Finding things that are calorie dense and aren't awful for me has been a struggle. You're totally right though, I should be eating everything that sounds good now that it doesn't hit escape velocity the moment it hits my stomach. It's a learning experience for sure. Thanks mate
marijuana-leaf.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
2 weeks ago I signed up with a Personal Trainer, 3 1hr sessions a week for 12 weeks.

Just finished week 2 and my weight has stayed around 80kg but my body fat is down from 23% to 19%.

The diet he's put me on:

150-200g of lean meat and a handful of organic nuts for breakfast, then 5 other meals of 150-200g throughout the day. No carbs except vegetables, root vegetables not included.

I've been no carbing since Jan 1st anyway so that point hasn't been too difficult. I'm wary about starting another paleo diet thread style trainwreck but at this point I don't think there's any debate left that anyone serious about shedding bodyfat should be cutting carbs from their diet. The first 2-4 weeks might be tough but once you ride out the initial cravings from carb withdrawal (I was having dreams about coke, pizza and subway) it gets easier and seeing the results tastes a lot sweeter than any carb!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2 weeks ago I signed up with a Personal Trainer, 3 1hr sessions a week for 12 weeks.

Just finished week 2 and my weight has stayed around 80kg but my body fat is down from 23% to 19%.

The diet he's put me on:

150-200g of lean meat and a handful of organic nuts for breakfast, then 5 other meals of 150-200g throughout the day. No carbs except vegetables, root vegetables not included.

I've been no carbing since Jan 1st anyway so that point hasn't been too difficult. I'm wary about starting another paleo diet thread style trainwreck but at this point I don't think there's any debate left that anyone serious about shedding bodyfat should be cutting carbs from their diet. The first 2-4 weeks might be tough but once you ride out the initial cravings from carb withdrawal (I was having dreams about coke, pizza and subway) it gets easier and seeing the results tastes a lot sweeter than any carb!
So prior to the new training regiment were you eating similar calories and working out as hard and not losing weight?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So prior to the new training regiment were you eating similar calories and working out as hard and not losing weight?
I've never been serious about weight lifting before, I would go the gym and stop at the first sign of pain plus I'd get bored after 20 minutes. Never really enthusiastic about cardio either.

On Jan 2nd I cut out all carbs and started playing indoor soccer for 1hr a week. I was also aiming for a calorie deficit and went down from 83kg to 78kg, no idea how much of that weight loss was muscle/fat/water.

5th Feb was my first workout and I'm still doing the soccer once a week. So of course the bf loss cannot be attributed simply to no carbs, I'm working my body harder and more regularly than at any point since my teenage years. My point is that so restricted carb diets are implemented on clients by so many personal trainers who see results that it's hard to argue against them.

http://upfitness.co.uk/articles/bios...-love-handles/

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never been serious about weight lifting before, I would go the gym and stop at the first sign of pain plus I'd get bored after 20 minutes. Never really enthusiastic about cardio either.

On Jan 2nd I cut out all carbs and started playing indoor soccer for 1hr a week. I was also aiming for a calorie deficit and went down from 83kg to 78kg, no idea how much of that weight loss was muscle/fat/water.

5th Feb was my first workout and I'm still doing the soccer once a week. So of course the bf loss cannot be attributed simply to no carbs, I'm working my body harder and more regularly than at any point since my teenage years. My point is that so restricted carb diets are implemented on clients by so many personal trainers who see results that it's hard to argue against them.

http://upfitness.co.uk/articles/bios...-love-handles/
http://bodyforlife.com/library/food-list

http://bodyforlife.com/success-stories/#pg-1

You can reach your goals with multiple eating methods. Just look at Weight Watchers and Nutrasystem. I'm glad you're doing well but it sounds more like you needed to be motivated to restrict calories, eat better and workout more. That's the only formula that matters. If you were to eat some oatmeal and a wheat pasta it would not hurt your weight loss as long as your calories were under check.

The diet he's put me on:

You didn't lose 4% bodyfat in 2 weeks and you don't need to cut carbs(completely) from a diet to lose weight. You lost water.

You fully admit you are exercising harder and more frequently than pretty much any point in your life, yet you are 100% convinced that cutting carbs is the way to go. I know you said it isn't only because of carbs, and that's the point.

Wait for itttt, wait forrrr itttt........

You are in a caloric deficit.

POW.

edit: I'm not stating that the average joe should eat 400g carbs per day, but still.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously... You can eat carbs and lose weight. Just don't go full retard and eat the right kind if carbs.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You didn't lose 4% bodyfat in 2 weeks and you don't need to cut carbs(completely) from a diet to lose weight. You lost water.
So the calipers my PT is using at various points around my body every week are measuring the water loss? OK BUDDY GOOD ONE

You both fail at reading comprehension.

Jan 1st-Feb 5th: Pre-PT, no carbs and a calorie deficit, 1hr of indoor soccer a week = 5kg weight loss (could have been muscle, fat and water)
Feb 5th onwards: Weights 3 x a week, 1 hr of indoor soccer, no carbs and 6 meals a day, no worrying about calories = no weight loss and 4% fat loss.

I never attributed it solely to cutting out no carbs at all, the last post is so full of fail I feel bad for him

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My point is that so restricted carb diets are implemented on clients by so many personal trainers who see results that it's hard to argue against them.
I'd be careful using logic like this. The vast majority of personal trainers are broscience-espousing idiots who make bodybuilding.com forum posters look intelligent.

Regarding carbs vs. no carbs, I'm sure there is lots of science and research to back up both sides, but let's be honest. The real reason most people lose fat when they cut out carbs is because they're generally cutting out some of the most calorie dense foods we eat: bread, pasta, rice. Without those calorie bombs in their diets their daily caloric intakes plummet and thus calories in become less than calories out and fat loss occurs. That's pretty much what it boils down to for the majority of people and that's why personal trainers who put people on low/no carb diets get such good results.

So the calipers my PT is using at various points around my body every week are measuring the water loss? OK BUDDY GOOD ONE

You both fail at reading comprehension.

Jan 1st-Feb 5th: Pre-PT, no carbs and a calorie deficit, 1hr of indoor soccer a week = 5kg weight loss (could have been muscle, fat and water)
Feb 5th onwards: Weights 3 x a week, 1 hr of indoor soccer, no carbs and 6 meals a day, no worrying about calories = no weight loss and 4% fat loss.

I never attributed it solely to cutting out no carbs at all, the last post is so full of fail I feel bad for him
Sigh. I'm trying to be realistic and you are getting sad over it.

1) I hate to break it to you, calipers aren't accurate. They are semi accurate at measuring changes(mainly water), but the actual bodyfat numbers are meaningless. Watch the mirror and the scale.
2) Does a PT actually have you eating *no carbs*, as in nothing but incidental carbs? If so, he really sounds like he knows what he's doing. Wait, no he doesn't, he sounds like he's trying to get you to lose weight in the fastest way possible in order to justify you paying him to tell you something you could have done yourself for free.
3) How does anyone fail at reading comprehension? You said "two weeks ago I signed up with a personal trainer" and "just finished week 2" and then you gave the bodyfat 23%-19% figure. I may fail at reading minds, but that's it.

If you are thumping your chest over losing no weight but losing fat, you shouldn't be. That would imply that you replaced it with muscle (and water) in order to have a static weight figure. That isn't really possibly in 2 weeks if someone lost a true 4% bodyfat, which as I said, you didn't.

The only thing that is "full of fail" is the fact that you actually paid a personal trainer, so he could measure you with calipers and sell you on bullshit. This is 2013, you could have used that money to buy food and whey protein and found out everything you needed to know online for free. Kudos for trying to be healthier though. If that's what you need to push you, then do it, but don't be pompous about results that you don't really understand. It's their job to make you believe they are the key.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I'd be careful using logic like this. The vast majority of personal trainers are broscience-espousing idiots who make bodybuilding.com forum posters look intelligent.

Regarding carbs vs. no carbs, I'm sure there is lots of science and research to back up both sides, but let's be honest. The real reason most people lose fat when they cut out carbs is because they're generally cutting out some of the most calorie dense foods we eat: bread, pasta, rice. Without those calorie bombs in their diets their daily caloric intakes plummet and thus calories in become less than calories out and fat loss occurs. That's pretty much what it boils down to for the majority of people and that's why personal trainers who put people on low/no carb diets get such good results.
Cutting carbs also increases protein and fiber rich foods. Two things that increase satiety and help keep calorie consumption lower.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

It's also portion sizes. Think of how much pasta or bread one eats at dinner, for instance. Not only are they calorie heavy, they're very easy to overserve and then overeat.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
You can reach your goals with multiple eating methods. Just look at Weight Watchers and Nutrasystem. I'm glad you're doing well but it sounds more like you needed to be motivated to restrict calories, eat better and workout more. That's the only formula that matters. If you were to eat some oatmeal and a wheat pasta it would not hurt your weight loss as long as your calories were under check..
This is the same point of contention every time though. You can also eat pizza, gummy bears and cupcakes without hurting weight loss "as long as your calories were under check." Doesnt mean you should or that those foods are helpful in any way. This is not to say oatmeal and whole wheat pasta is bad, just making the general point. The question is what is it about certain foods that make it easier to over eat and add fat. One suggested answer is the relation ship between insulin and fat storage.

That leads to the second part which is how effective is it long term. Yes you can reach your goals through various methods but most studies show dieting does not work over even a moderately long span of time.