Weight Loss Thread

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm not trying to join in on the accuracy of calories, but yes, your body stores water all over the place.
yes I'm sure it does, in the bloodstream and in muscles etc Clearly when the guy is able to pinch a significant chunk of flesh from my gut then it's all water! rofl retards.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
fun fact, not measuring the amount of oil you use in cooking and just going by guess doesn't work too well when you finally measure 1tbsp and see it's about 1/8th what you have been using twice a day, fml.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
fun fact, not measuring the amount of oil you use in cooking and just going by guess doesn't work too well when you finally measure 1tbsp and see it's about 1/8th what you have been using twice a day, fml.
Yeah this is the biggest mistake people make when trying to eat better/healthier. It's incredibly hard to "guesstimate" your food portions unless you've been accurately measuring them for a while. Half the people who post stuff on forums like "I'm eating cleanly but not losing weight" aren't actually measuring their food using teaspoons/cups/scales and eating way more calories than they think.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oil can be a killer, definitely. Other killer things are things like cheese, sour cream, etc. Very deceptive fuckers.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
rrr_img_14077.jpg

I eat a lot of buffalo wraps and grilled chicken w mozz & red peppers type stuff, and I always use these wraps. They're pretty decent, but the main thing is the fiber. It's 27g per wrap, and the calories are whatever because the wraps are pretty fucking huge, so I usually put in about 6-8 oz of chicken with some lettuce and tomato and homemade buffalo sauce (I just use Frank's Buffalo + half a tablespoon of Marie's Bleu Cheese) or some fresh mozz, roasted red peppers, arugula, and balsamic vinaigrette (also homemade, careful with that oil SON).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And get this..it was invented to reduce hypertension in people... Doctor approved!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Long read but interesting imo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/ma...food.html?_r=0

NYT Article_sl said:
In the months leading up to the C.E.O. meeting, he was engaged in conversation with a group of food-science experts who were painting an increasingly grim picture of the public?s ability to cope with the industry?s formulations ? from the body?s fragile controls on overeating to the hidden power of some processed foods to make people feel hungrier still.
NYT Article_sl said:
"The company?s Yoplait brand had transformed traditional unsweetened breakfast yogurt into a veritable dessert. It now had twice as much sugar per serving as General Mills? marshmallow cereal Lucky Charms. And yet, because of yogurt?s well-tended image as a wholesome snack, sales of Yoplait were soaring, with annual revenue topping $500 million. Emboldened by the success, the company?s development wing pushed even harder, inventing a Yoplait variation that came in a squeezable tube ? perfect for kids. They called it Go-Gurt and rolled it out nationally in the weeks before the C.E.O. meeting. (By year?s end, it would hit $100 million in sales.)"

elbas

Molten Core Raider
Yeah this is the biggest mistake people make when trying to eat better/healthier. It's incredibly hard to "guesstimate" your food portions unless you've been accurately measuring them for a while. Half the people who post stuff on forums like "I'm eating cleanly but not losing weight" aren't actually measuring their food using teaspoons/cups/scales and eating way more calories than they think.
On a show dealing with obesity, they had a segment about how people grossly overestimate serving sizes. They had a group of people who should have been losing weight based on their food diaries. But when the researchers actually saw what they were eating, they saw the logs were totally inaccurate. A man recorded one serving of pasta when it was a whole package of pasta and jar of sauce. A woman recorded one serving of rice when it was a full plate of Chinese fried rice.

For most people, especially the overweight, it is critical to measure instead of guesstimate.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
WHO the fuck guesstimates a WHOLE PACKAGE of pasta as ONE SERVING? That dude just wanted to eat.

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've actually had great success so far this year with losing weight and toning up. My dad always used to say that if you want to save money write down everything you spend, and when you actually see on paper all the stupid shit you spend money on it will stop you wasting money.

So I figured I'd try the same technique with food. So every meal I put down in an excel document, and try to keep the daily calories to about 1800 and since mid december last year I've lost about 15 pounds of blubber, and look and feel much healthier for it.

lindz

#DDs
Can anyone recommend a P90X style program? I've had a lot of success with P90X in the past, but a tad bored of it plus a lot the workouts are really tough on bad knees so want something that is a little lower impact (the yoga and plyometrics are the hardest).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Insanity? I don't know a ton about it, but I believe it's the next "step", so to speak, after P90X.

Or you could try that Diamond Dallas Page Yoga that is so popular in screenshots at the moment. Apparently it can make cripples walk again.

Balin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You can do all the fad diets you want, but at the end of the day it's simply a matter of burning more calories than you eat. Nothing else matters. Last time I seriously tried to lose weight, I used the My Fitness Pal app on an iPad. It's free. I think there's a web version and a PC version and stuff, too. It takes some discipline, but if you want to cut out all the BS and just measure calories in and out, this is the easiest way I've discovered. You set your weight loss goal and date. It tells you what your daily calorie deficit needs to be. It lets you put in all your food relatively easily. You can even scan food barcodes with the camera if you want to get crazy with the ipad/iphone version. Then you enter any exercise you do. So you can see clearly that you're NEVER going to run far enough to offset that entire plate of cookies, fatty. Worked pretty well for me last summer.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone recommend a P90X style program? I've had a lot of success with P90X in the past, but a tad bored of it plus a lot the workouts are really tough on bad knees so want something that is a little lower impact (the yoga and plyometrics are the hardest).
I mixed Insanity in to my workouts a few years ago or so - its similar to P90X but more cardiovascular stuff. I have fucked up knee's as well, and while its easier on the knee's - its still a killer. Honestly, I would say integrate some light weightlifting into your routine a long with 25-45 minutes of cardio every day. My old house had a pretty big pool, and swimming was honestly the best cardio I've found for my knee's, but don't have access to one anymore and it kind of sucks!