Weight Loss Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Ok need advice. On the 10th i was stupid and way overdid it. I have had really tight sore traps and neck since which has led to two weeks of tension headaches. I haven't done any lifting since just stretching to try and releave the tension. Question is do i try working out again and see if the old adage "the best cure for sore muscles is to get back out there and do it again", or do i keep taking it easy and just stretch. Obviously if i did work out again it would be lighter than the last time.
It doesn't sound normal for soreness like that to last for more than 3 or so days. You might have pulled or strained a muscle. You might want to go to the doctor.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Speaking of injuries, I think I pinched a nerve shoveling snow last week. It's really hurting (pun intended) my gym routine.
frown.png

I get a sharp, shooting pain from my lower ass down through my calf whenever I bend my lower back a certain way.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why do my kidneys ache? Also occasional hot flushes.

I massively upped the protein to at least 2g per kg of bodyweight, just eating meat and vegtables/nuts basically.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He ruled out all other areas by rubbing garlic all over his body and organs. Except the kidneys, he did not rub garlic there.

Khane

Oh right, of course. That's how I realized my pancreas was flaring up a few weeks back.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know, what else is in both of my sides? My sides ache inside of me.

When they say eat this 200-300g of Protein for your muscles, does 500g of chicken count as 500g of Protein or 100g of Protein (based off the nutritional info). It seems obvious to me that it's 100g but you never know. Then is that per day or what? I'm actually wary of eating more because I think my body is trying to tell me something and I'm not sure if that is good or not.

Khane

I eat a lot of protein. Not because I'm trying to be hulk but because I just tend to love food that is high in protein, but 300g of protein seems excessive. Really excessive. What are you doing at the gym? More importantly where are you hearing that as a recommended number?

The Master

Bronze Squire
Why do my kidneys ache? Also occasional hot flushes.

I massively upped the protein to at least 2g per kg of bodyweight, just eating meat and vegtables/nuts basically.
There is no benefit, in over twenty years of clinical studies, to anything over .82g per pound of lean body weight. Some doctors have, anecdotally, stated they believe that excess protein has caused minor kidney damage and have expressed concerns that if their is an undiagnosed pre-existing kidney issue it could lead to severe kidney problems.

The Myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake for Bodybuilders

Helpfully foot notes all the major studies. You can look up their basic conclusions yourself if you don't believe the article. Any informed scientist or doctor will never tell you to eat that much protein, the only people who work in the fitness field and still do are personal trainers who run a real risk of damaging their business if they admit their advice is unnecessary. Can you imagine saying that all your DVDs, food planners, books, etc., are wrong? Not likely.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks for that, you have saved my kidneys. The book I bought said eat 2g/kg minimum but shoot for 4g/kg, however it said over 6 meals when it's nutrition plan appears to only have 5 per day. The 2g/kg sounds perfect for a day and a bit looking at that article but I am confused why they mention as high as double that... maybe those magic money shakes and pills they want me to buy (and I won't) are full of steroids.

Ah well, main reason I bought it was for motivation and the 90% of the book which is excercises.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Thanks for that, you have saved my kidneys. The book I bought said eat 2g/kg minimum but shoot for 4g/kg, however it said over 6 meals when it's nutrition plan appears to only have 5 per day. The 2g/kg sounds perfect for a day and a bit looking at that article but I am confused why they mention as high as double that... maybe those magic money shakes and pills they want me to buy (and I won't) are full of steroids.

Ah well, main reason I bought it was for motivation and the 90% of the book which is excercises.
Are you talking about the 12 week body plan by Nick Mitchell?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

There's so much conflicting advice when it comes to protein.How much protein do I need every day? | Examine.com FAQsuggests pushing past the 0.82g/lb of the other link to 1g/lb and then says that's a good target for someone who wants to preserve muscle whilst losing fat.

Are you referring to the 12 Week Body Plan by Nick Mitchell? If so I would trust the results that book has generated and stick to the diet as closely as possible rather than listening to advice off an MMO forum. The aim of that book is to lose body fat and increase muscle mass so it makes sense that protein intake should be higher. Seeing as how the book also recommends carb cycling and decreasing protein on carb days - it follows that protein should be higher on low carb days.

Having said that, if you're genuinely in pain then maybe you should scale it back a bit

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok so if I put symptoms into the internet - I'm dying.
Apparently eating extra protein and no grains over an epic 3 days is putting me into "rabbit starvation" and the stinking black shit I just had means that I'm bleeding somewhere in my digestion system.
What the fuck.

So do I stick to my guns and have cold meat & nuts for breakfast tomorrow or have an extra big bowl of quaker oats?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Before you die, inform a relative/friend to post here on your behalf, can't be having another wizardhawk incident.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sorry to derail the WebMD, but what, if any, supplements do you guys use?

Right now I'm just doing around 45-60 mins of cardio a day, due to just having clavicle surgery, but once I'm cleared to start lifting again I want to to seriously get ripped. Unfortunately right now I'm 6'3" 267lbs, so I have a ways to go, but that's down from 280 with the cardio and doing some leg machines here and there.

Edit:
Figured I'd give you some more info. I'm a roofer, but since my clavicle break they have had me at a desk writing up proposals and invoices. I have like 6 hours of free time every day, and when I'm not at work, I'm usually bored as fuck, so I do like going to the gym, I just really need to change my diet, and probably take a supplement to help me push through the exhaustion I feel after work, or work out before work I suppose.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's my opinion (and generally agreed here, I believe) that supplements are a waste of time and not worth the money.

Supplements and ways to power through exhaustion were discussed in-depth a few pages ago if you're curious to read it. I'm of the opinion that some black coffee is all you need.