Weight Loss Thread

Salt isn't really a weight problem unless it's causing you to drink lots of kool-aid or something. Do the couch to 5k thing. Easy as fuck. Just make an ipod mix to sync up with the resting periods. You'll be healthier and it'll be easier to keep off the weight than forever restricting your diet. Just make sure you keep counting calories.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Except salt can lead to hypertension, abnormal heart conditions, kidney disorders, dehydration, digestive issues.. multiply this by a lot for fat people

You're right, it can cause some issues. A lot of these fad diets exclude it though to trick people into thinking "wow I dropped 2 pounds in 2 days!" and shit. That's just water weight though.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I got diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago and the doc put me on adderol. I dropped 30 pounds in less than 4 months (190lbs to 160lbs). I asked him if that was normal and he said "yup. I've started too prescribe it patients solely for weight loss, especially if they are diabetic."

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wife and I have both lost over 40lbs this year on Weight Watchers. Good program if you have problems following many of the above suggestions, or just want the extra support.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Wife and I have both lost over 40lbs this year on Weight Watchers. Good program if you have problems following many of the above suggestions, or just want the extra support.
Speaking of weight watchers,www.skinnytaste.comhas TONS of amazing recipes for all sorts of relatively healthy foods. Each one provides point values for those on weight watchers, and for everyone else full nutritional information is provided. I've made over a dozen of the recipes on the site and I have loved every one. I made some of the pumpkin muffins for Thanksgiving and no one even suspected they were of the healthier variety.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
For as many eye rolls as people give Weight Watchers, the people who I know who have really gave it a chance have nothing but great things to say about it.

Sulrn

Deuces
Because I get them cheap from the liquidators store and it's easy to do and keep track of.
Buy:

A blender
Ice Trays
Almond (Slices)/Flax Seed/Granola
Peanut/Almond Butter
Muscle Milk Protein Blend or Similiar of your (non)flavor choice
Milk or Milk-like derivative/Water
Bananas/Strawberries/Blueberries/Fresh (Baby) Spinach

Mix and Mash the above until you find a few recipes you enjoy.
There's nothing wrong with a liquid diet as long as you're getting enough fiber to keep you full and nutrients to fuel the body.

My go to:

.66 -1cu Ice
Enough Almond Milk to almost cover the ice
.5-2 scoops choc muscle milk/whey
1tbs peanut butter
.3 cup almond slices
1 banana

Has enough fiber to keep you full for most of an inactive day or forms a solid meal for an active one.

Don't drink this every day unless your working out 3-5 times a week including a swim/bike/run. Same goes for the slimfast if you don't dig a healthier option. Drinking them every other day with plenty of other fluids is fine, but neither should ever be a diet cornerstone unless your ensuring they clear the body/well metabolized.

As for the CrystalLite - if you're serious about getting healthier. Stop with the adult/cancer koolaid. An easy alternative is Agua Fresca and is better for you at all angles.

Blender + Clean Water + fruit/veggies/herbs + lemon/lime juice = Healthy, astronomically better (depending on fruit/veggie choice) for your body, and cheaper.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I got diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago and the doc put me on adderol. I dropped 30 pounds in less than 4 months (190lbs to 160lbs). I asked him if that was normal and he said "yup. I've started too prescribe it patients solely for weight loss, especially if they are diabetic."
It made zero difference for me. I was on 10mg of Adderall XR a day, so fairly small dosage. It might have suppressed my appetite a bit, but not much. I went off it a few months back and while I've put on 5lbs or so, that's as much due to lack of exercise and poor diet as anything else.

Of course everyone works differently.

I really just need to cut a couple hundred calories a day out of my diet and I'll trim the weight down over a few months. I'm just so lazy when it comes to cooking. I get a reasonable amount of exercise.

Being fat sucks. A couple years ago I was up to 275 and I decided that I was sick of myself and could not be obese anymore. Ended up dropping down to 180 with dieting. Sadly, I then got back into WoW and old habits came back and I went back up to 230. I'm trying to get back down again and I want to stay down this time (no more fucking WoW, ever). No more pop, no more coffee, etc.

Today I weighed myself at 226.0.

Currently I'm trying the same type of diet I was doing before: 2x 180 calorie slimfast drinks, 1x 200 calorie snack bar, 2x 100 calorie light yogurts spread through out the day and a light, mostly protein, low carb/fat dinner (IE, grilled chicken breast) along with raw vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli). I hate water, so I'm drinking Crystal Light.
Take an hour or less out of your daily life and exercise.

60% of the time it works every time.

Seriously though, yeah.

And as others have said/implied, your diet is fucking horrible. You don't really know how to eat properly and never really committed to a full lifestyle change. If you had, you wouldn't have gained anything back. You are eating like a 40 year old soccer mom. Eat real food.

Sulrn

Deuces
What shake would you make for someone who can't have anything with seeds or nuts in it?
I'd ask how far your allergy goes. The spectrum of nut disorders is ridiculously different per individual. One of my good friends is allergic to everything but cocoa powder and hazelnuts.

For a complete shift:
http://www.richerlife.com/2011/09/ve...protein-shake/

With a little bit of tinkering the above is actually a pretty common shake.

Ice + Water + vanilla/strawberry powder + banana/strawberries + lime juice + pinch-handful of baby spinach.

Is what we came up with until we realized she could eat almond butter and Nutella miraculously without side effects and went back to my go to shake minus the almond milk + almond slices.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No allergy, I have Crohn's and my body can't process them. I can't eat raw broccoli, cauliflower or carrots either and raw/cooked corn either.

When I say I can't....I mean I can....but I run a 50/50 chance of it throwing me out of remission and as you can guess, I try to avoid that as much as I can.

Unless I'm really craving popcorn...then remission be damned.
frown.png

frown.png

Devlin

Golden Squire
Yeah the problem is unless you want to diet forever you're going to get really bored really fucking fast, sitting around on your arse all day is so counter productive, you burn zero calories so even calorie counting isn't going to work.

Just going for regular walks is a real good idea, maybe buy a dog, that's always a good excuse to go for a walk.

Silver Knight of the Realm
sitting around on your arse all day is so counter productive, you burn zero calories so even calorie counting isn't going to work.
I'm not really condoning sitting on your ass all day, but you burn calories just idling bro. Resting metabolic rate and all that. I lost 50lbs being completely sedentary and simply changing my eating habits a couple years ago. Just noticed you said essentially the same thing further up, but to say that calorie counting won't work when you're sedentary isn't completely accurate.

bofa_sl

shitlord
work in a seasonal business and have the next three months off minus a few jobs here, then back to an active lifestyle for the next 8-9 months. thinking about getting a juicer or ninja food processor to curb on the cooking aspect as much as possible and have a few questions.

1) could anyone offer some good blends for breakfast / lunch?
2) is it costlier than making your own food?
3) can it be done on a budget of $50 a week (breakfast / lunch portion)

any other tips would be appreciated. basically i don't want to become a fat ass, i'm at 175 right now and could stand to lose 15-20 easy.

processor =http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3gs0qdkipw_b

Sean_sl

shitlord
Heh, I guess I haven't really said much about my pain problems in here before. I'm pretty much in constant pain and have to take some nasty stuff to really do anything. Just standing around in a grocery store for 10-15 minutes brings me to absolutely excruciating pain. So, I'm not a big fan of exercise. I definitely could not handle something like p90x. Between that and an anxiety disorder I rarely go outside.

I was walking my dogs quite a bit in the summer, but even though my legs were strengthening up a bit from that it really got to be too much. I need to get back to light stuff like that again, I know. It's pretty difficult for me to get into anything though with all my various problems. Plus, right now it takes most of my will power to keep my eating habits in check. I'm really not eating too little compared to how much I burn just by being alive, which is all I'm really able to do most of the time. Once I get used to it again (it worked for me before, for nearly a year, I just need to not make the mistakes I did before - Pop/WoW/etc) I can probably try to add in things like light exercise.