Weight Loss Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
So on average people lose 30lbs in 1 month?

That sounds:

1) Gimmicky
2) Healthy
3) Like bullshit
Yup. The most you should realistically lose over the long term without going nuts or malnourishing yourself is 1.5-2 lbs per week. That requires a net caloric deficit of 750-1000 per day, which is a lot. Anyone that talks about losing 5-15 lbs in a week is really just dehydrating and/or passing food bulk. While they might weigh less, they haven't changed their body composition meaningfully.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This is the first thing you need to fix. Getting into good shape is 100% about consistancy, and there is no way you'll be consistant about exercise or eating right if you have no willpower. When you're hungry after work and driving past your favorite take-out place you need to be able to resist the screaming "DO IT, DO IT!" in your head. When you feel tired and unmotivated, you need to gather the willpower to go to the gym anyway and get in a good workout.

Without willpower you might as well not even bother, because you'll just be one of those people that exercises a few times a month, eats like shit Fri-Sun, and then wonders why you never get into shape.
I've found that once you get into a solid routine, continuing to work out isn't a problem. In fact, the satisfaction you get from a good work out is pretty rewarding. Getting into that initial groove takes some work and motivation, but after a couple weeks it just becomes a part of your day. What sucks is something like an extended vacation or business trip that throws you off your routine. I broke my foot back in August and was pretty much couch-ridden the entire month. It took me forever to get back in the routine after that even once I was healed up.

Schags

Bronze Knight of the Realm
One of the worst mistakes you can do is approach things as a diet. The majority of the time you'll lose some weight then gain it back, then be miserable about gaining it back and end up putting more on.

The best way formehas been making changes in phases. I first completely stopped drinking diet soda and switched to only water. It will be two years in January that I had anything but water with the exception of a couple of beers I've had while out. After a few weeks of being on Water I had already lost 10 lbs with doing nothing else.

Then I changed my diet. I pretty much only eat low carb. This was easier for me though because I've cut most carbs out years ago when I found out I had type 2 diabetes. I'm able to control my sugar without needing to take medication. So it just works for me on multiple levels.

From there it just snowballs into wanting to exercise. You start to lose the weight from the water/eating habit changes and you start to look for more. I have Diabetic Neuropathy in my feet so I can't actually run more than 10-15 seconds without my feet going numb. I can walk about 30-45 minutes, any longer my feet are torn up and I can't walk for 4-5 days. So I ride a stationary bike for my cardio and it saves my feet. I usually do 45 minute sessions, sometimes 2 a day, once in the morning before work and once at night after work. If I'm not going to do 2 sessions I'll do 1 - 1 hour session. 4-5 days a week. Now that I'm closer to 200, I've added in light weights. My goal is to continue with the weight loss until I'm around 185 then increase the weights to convert fat into muscle and not worry about my actual weight as much as my body fat.

When I started in January of 2011 I was 275, I'm at 208 right now. I could have done it quicker but I didn't treat it like a hardcore diet. If I decided to "treat" myself I didn't beat myself up over it, I just picked up the next day.

For eating, I think everyone's body is different. What works best for me is eating twice a day. While I'm at work, I'm just not hungry. So I'll eat a nice breakfast, head to work and then come home for dinner. The trick for me is to eat dinner and then stop. I've always had an issue of snacking while playing mmo's until 12-1am. Once I cut that out, things just clicked.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup. The most you should realistically lose over the long term without going nuts or malnourishing yourself is 1.5-2 lbs per week. That requires a net caloric deficit of 750-1000 per day, which is a lot. Anyone that talks about losing 5-15 lbs in a week is really just dehydrating and/or passing food bulk. While they might weigh less, they haven't changed their body composition meaningfully.
It's been 9lbs since Monday actually. Like I said tho.. It's just a starting point and there are some great success stories using any diet. It's really works for you. For me.. My cravings have gone down and I'm filling up faster. Which is nice once I start adding more veggies/fatty foods. I'm certain I've lost fat with the water weight. I think Malkav should give it a try:)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So on average people lose 30lbs in 1 month?

That sounds:

1) Gimmicky
2) Healthy
3) Like bullshit

Things like this are why there needs to be "weight loss" threads because you want to drop 15lbs asap. If you(not you specifically) exercise 4-5x week, and stop eating crap, or cut some crap out, you can lose 15lbs in a much healthier time frame and it'll be permanent. Ketogenic diets have been around forever, and as soon as people come off them they balloon the fuck up and wind up weighing more than they did before they started. Keto diets work, of course, but so does exercising a lot and eating high carbs, so does a bunch of other ways, and so does starving yourself.

Find an athletic hobby, stop going to McDonalds and Five Guys, profit. No one needs to do "the ____ diet", you need to not be a fat lazy bitch is all.

note: you = the world, not Convo
It works because it puts your body in ketosis. But it's nearly impossible to sustain. It's the best "omg high school reunion in one month' diet.

MrGraham_sl

shitlord
Personally, I have a much easier time losing weight when drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of fiber and some yogurt/probacteria stuff. Feels like higher metabolism, and more full more of the time.

Replacing cereal with oatmeal/high fiber cereal, rice with quinoa, and removing most bread/pasta and sugar drinks makes such a huge difference, especially when combined with very minor amounts of exercise.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'd like to adjust my diet to be low carb (60g or less a day) but I'm an extremely picky eater and over the years Ive become a total carb addict. My biggest source of protein is diary products, egg whites, and chicken. I'm having trouble consuming enough calories using protein and wondering if it would be safe to go the artificial route to get more protein. I hate, no loathe, beans and I don't want to eat red meat so where does that leave me to be able to get 1400 cals a day from protein. I'm concerned using a protein shake will leave me too hungry and result in over eating.

Ketosis isn't magic, and it isn't really a faster way to diet than anything else, it's just a huge body shock coming from a typical american diet. If you ate only 4 bananas a day it'd create the same effect, or 2 cups of walnuts per day and that's it, or 2 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or anything that is There's radical weight loss in the first week or two because 1) water retention is down and 2) most importantly, someone is actually sticking to a diet, and generally speaking the average person starting a ketogenic diet is in a MASSIVE deficit at first. People get all crazy losing even 5lbs in a week and they won't acknowledge that 4 of that or more is water. As a non drug using human, you just aren't going to lose more than 1-2lbs of fat a week unless you are obese.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'd like to adjust my diet to be low carb (60g or less a day) but I'm an extremely picky eater and over the years Ive become a total carb addict. My biggest source of protein is diary products, egg whites, and chicken. I'm having trouble consuming enough calories using protein and wondering if it would be safe to go the artificial route to get more protein. I hate, no loathe, beans and I don't want to eat red meat so where does that leave me to be able to get 1400 cals a day from protein. I'm concerned using a protein shake will leave me too hungry and result in over eating.
Being a picky eater is a pretty terrible trait to have when you're looking to change your diet to something more healthy. I'd try to get over that hurdle alone. Are you afraid to try new foods or do you just straight up not like everything?

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've dug reading some/most of this thread so far, and just wanted to add a bit of my personal feedback. This year I was forced to make some pretty heavy changes to my diet or my oncologist was going to kick my ass. It's been a struggle, but between the diet change and bouldering 3-5 times per week, I've managed to put on a ton of muscle and lost ~40lbs of body weight.

Unfortunately I had a partial tear in my rotator cuff, so I've been down a little over a month now. The hardest part has been going through cancer treatment, and one of the regiments has put on a TON of bloated weight and I've lost a ton of muscle mass because of it as well. I've ballooned back up to ~170, and it's damn frustrating. Hopefully by the time I'm done with this next round, I'll be finished up for good and can really focus on properly building lean muscle to continue climbing.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Being a picky eater is a pretty terrible trait to have when you're looking to change your diet to something more healthy. I'd try to get over that hurdle alone. Are you afraid to try new foods or do you just straight up not like everything?
I don't know why I hate some foods as much as I do. I grew up eating healthy vegetables everyday not processed food etc. but I always hated it, was a constant battle with my parents. I have trouble not gagging at even the smell of most vegetables. I have tried forcing myself to eat them, I've tried blending them in a juicer but it takes me quite awhile to get a 4 oz glass down. It makes me feel childish but I have tried a lot of food (my wife eats just about anything) and things that people consider normal I can't even swallow let alone eat regularly. I have a fissured and geographic tongue (about 1-2% of population) and it may have something to do with how I respond to certain flavors and textures of food.

Last time I tried adopting vegetables into my diet I figured if I forced myself to eat them everyday for a few weeks I would get use to it. Well about week three into it as I stood at the kitchen sink gagging and feeling nauseous wife took glass from me dumped it and said that's enough. Despite all this silliness I am committed to living healthy so I keep trying to adjust my diet the best I can.

It's been 9lbs since Monday actually.
Just know that when you reintroduce carbs to your diet, you're going to gain like 5 pounds in one day. Glycogen is being depleted. Glycogen is heavily hydrated. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I reckon 70-90% of that is not from fat. Don't forget to ask someone to smell your breath. If they say "WTF NASTY" then you're on the right track.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just know that when you reintroduce carbs to your diet, you're going to gain like 5 pounds in one day. Glycogen is being depleted. Glycogen is heavily hydrated. Not trying to rain on your parade, but I reckon 70-90% of that is not from fat. Don't forget to ask someone to smell your breath. If they say "WTF NASTY" then you're on the right track.
Yea, I'm aware. For me it's not to much the fast loss on the scale. It's resetting yourself and getting back to healthier eating habits. It's easier for me to do this and work my way into some carbs/healthy fats.

I read some comments about people who use this diet. Since everything is true on the Internet one person actually lost 90lba in like 3 months.. That's crazy even if they only lost 60 lol

Sulrn

Deuces
Heh, just about everywhere. My joints especially and in particular my ankles and shoulders are a total mess.
Get referred to a PT/OT. Get an outpatient consult and ask for a list of TherEx based off your situation.

Theraband, PVC Pipes, and fishing weights go a long way.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
No one ever responded to me about what kind of shake I should/could make with the limitations I posted.
frown.png

frown.png