Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's some serious weight loss... I find it hard to believe it's pure fat being burned at this point. A pound a day? Are you obese?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
3,500 calories a day being expended... that's not even possible for someone trying to lose weight I don't think. You're not Michael Phelps or a winner of the TdF.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Your protein intake can remain the same as someone who is not in ketosis as you can increase your carb intake to match the extra calorie deficit you create from working out (and still remain in ketosis). In fact most/all keto diets recommend increasing carb intake when exercising, not protein.
Don't mind Ossoi, last time he tried to make this argument he linked to a study that actually did that exact thing. The control group and the keto group, both of which were on "high protein" according to the study, had the same protein intake (roughly .72 g/lb, which see my link and again that researchers considered that high protein). The only variable was fat vs carbs. Somehow he must not have read the study, because it said the opposite of what he thought it did.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
3,500 calories a day being expended... that's not even possible for someone trying to lose weight I don't think. You're not Michael Phelps or a winner of the TdF.
It's very, very possible in the early stages of a keto diet for severely overweight people. When I was 100lbs overweight I lost 18 lbs the first 14 days on Atkins. I lost ~50lbs in the first three or so months.

When considering ketosis you have to consider that your body is excreting (or burning) fat at alarming rates. You literally sweat fat, you pee fat, you even exhale "fat" (you're breath stanks somethin fierce in ketosis). He doesn't necessarily need to expend what would be considered "normal" for that type of weight loss. Your body is using more energy even at rest because of the process of ketosis.

It's what makes ketogenic diets so powerful for obese individuals. They see dramatic results and it raises their spirits. It's like a switch flips in their brain and they finally understand that they can indeed lose weight. It's pretty empowering.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Remember when you switch over into ketosis and your body starts cannibalizing stored fat, it can't put it back. You literally end up peeing out any excess fat your body doesn't use.

Oh, that is another reason keto helps with satiety. Your body is constantly pulling from your reserves if you haven't eaten, so you don't get "hungry." This can actually cause people to just forget to eat sometimes. Which isn't good for you, but is less bad on keto if you're starting out overweight.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're peeing out fat?

I may attempt this. But I don't know how I can possibly limit myself to 25g of carbs. Also, should I wait before I get back into the gym? Or can I do it while getting back into the swing of things?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're peeing out fat?

I may attempt this. But I don't know how I can possibly limit myself to 25g of carbs. Also, should I wait before I get back into the gym? Or can I do it while getting back into the swing of things?
You don't necessarily need to limit yourself to 25g of net carbs (net carbs is essentially total carbs - fiber). Everyone has a different equilibrium point based on their own individual bodies + exercise. I remained in ketosis all the way up to around 70g net carbs when I was lifting a lot and doing cardio.

The Master

Bronze Squire
You're peeing out fat?

Ketones, yes. They sell little testing sticks you can pee on to get an idea of how much. You'll be surprised. You can start at any time. Just bear in mind it is tough at first.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ketones, yes. They sell little testing sticks you can pee on to get an idea of how much. You'll be surprised. You can start at any time. Just bear in mind it is tough at first.
Is this how you know you're in ketosis? Or is it blood sugar levels?

Also, do you guys have a diet plan you followed? Or a list of items valuable within the keto diet? Cause aside from avocados, I don't really enjoy most fatty foods. Maybe some dairy?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
All right fellow chubbros, it's time for my fat ass to lose some weight. I need to get a sense of how much and what I am driving into my gullet. What's the best food tracking website? Last time I used fitday and it was okay, but that was years ago.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
My main concern with keto is that my dad died from type 1 diabetes. I'm 30 now, so I won't likely ever get it, but it scares the fuck out of me that it could kill me. So I say fuck keto.
There is zero reason to be afraid. Diabetic Ketoacidosis does not come from a low carb diet. It would be like being afraid to check your blood sugar because you don't want to bleed to death.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
All right fellow chubbros, it's time for my fat ass to lose some weight. I need to get a sense of how much and what I am driving into my gullet. What's the best food tracking website? Last time I used fitday and it was okay, but that was years ago.
MyFitnessPal seems to be the standard. Install on your phone and you can even scan barcodes, look up foods, or create your own.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You're peeing out fat?

Holy crap a lot of misinformation.

No, you don't pee out "fat". That's ridiculous. You can excrete ketones in your urine, but not enough for that to be a significant factor in weight loss. Same with the breathing, you have acetone that can be released by the lungs but not enough for noticeable fat loss (incredibly insignificant amount).

The main advantage of keto diets are that you're forcing your body to use an inefficient fuel source. Your body will absolutely use muscle as a food source on a keto diet, but that's more of a concern for those with a significant amount of muscle mass and/or already low bodyfat.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tuco, assuming your diet is pretty standard, the first 1-2 weeks will suck as you add in all the foods you eat (assuming you can't find ones that someone else did). But once you've got a "database" of all the common stuff you eat, it becomes amazingly good.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Tuco, you need to swing Sulfuron hammer on the anvil some more. FAT - BY FIRE BE PURGED!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'm not sure Myfitnesspal has a way to track Activity: Blacksmithing.

However, blacksmiths in TV/movies are usually jacked as fuck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I live in an apt now and am too lazy to find another place to smith. It's not good exercise anyway.

But the rage is apt, I am the king of having very intense workouts for 2 weeks once a year.

Fiction says blacksmiths look like this:
the_blacksmith_by_kjngrafix-d4a4xen.jpg

but the truth is closer to
Blacksmith-Kashgar-China.jpg

If you're using a lot of energy to lift the hammer you're probably doing it wrong. Obviously there's a need to use a sledge hammer now and then but most of the time making small stuff needs a small hammer.