Weight Loss Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
She fat because of genetics McCheese, you insensitive bastard.

That being said, someone should make a snack food called "Genetics".

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Considering the primary ingredient is rice flour, I don't see why you'd think that is "healthy."

rrr_img_62981.jpg

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sweet Potato pre or post workout.
+1 for sweet potato. I am giving that a shot today. I didn't have time to go to the grocery store so I just pieced together a pre / during / post workout plan.

I ended up making a single sweet potato and threw in some butter and coconut oil (yeah I know). Going to have that before I start working out. My wife had some Shot Bloks by Cliff Bar that she uses for her Spin stuff so I am going to do that between classes. We'll see how tonight goes. I am not expecting night and day difference, just better.

On the other side, one of my buddies who trains boxing regularly recommended a pre-workout drink using Super Charge Xtreme (Amazon.com: Labrada Super Charge 4.0 Fruit Punch 50 servings: Health Personal Care). It sounds / looks silly (MASSIVE PUMPS), but he says it is great for energy during a workout. Any thoughts?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Save your money and get your energy from real food rather than bullshit supplements and pre and post workout drinks. They are a waste of money.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What do you mean by "better"?

From a purely weight loss perspective (i.e. calories in vs. calories out) they don't seem all that much better than other chips. In fact, they're only slightly better than Doritos, which are 140 calories for 11 chips vs. 130 for 16 for these Almond chips. Both look like empty carbs that probably won't fill you up much.

My obese coworker eats shit like that, and a ton of it too, because it's advertised as "healthy." She guzzles Lipton Iced Teas and munches all day on fancy wheat crackers and whatnot. That's why she's fat.
The almond nut chips contain a minimal amount of carbs, and almost all the energy derived from them is fat. They're bloody awesome for a keto diet, since decent snack foods are pretty hard to come by. I've been on a keto diet about a week and the pounds are falling off me.. but I'd kill for snacks like that. I find it difficult to stay within the constrains of the diet and really hit the calorie intake I need, this kind of stuff is awesome.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
After a week, the water is falling out of you is what you mean to say. No carbs will dry the bloat out of you quick, and THEN the pounds will fall off of you!
smile.png

Keto is awesome if you can sustain it for any length of time.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The almond nut chips contain a minimal amount of carbs, and almost all the energy derived from them is fat. They're bloody awesome for a keto diet, since decent snack foods are pretty hard to come by. I've been on a keto diet about a week and the pounds are falling off me.. but I'd kill for snacks like that. I find it difficult to stay within the constrains of the diet and really hit the calorie intake I need, this kind of stuff is awesome.
Do they really contain a minimal amount of carbs? I'm genuinely curious. Comparing the nutrition labels for the almond chips and regular Doritos, I see:

almond chips - 1 serving (16 chips) - 23g total carbohydrates
Doritos - 1 serving - (11 chips) - 16g total carbohydrates

Both have about 1g of dietary fiber.

I don't really know much about keto so, like I said, I'm genuinely curious if I'm reading things wrong or perhaps I don't understand something about the diet. From what I see on the nutrition labels, I can't see how the almond chips are "better" than typical chips.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Holy shit, just eat some fucking almonds. Why is that hard?

Edited: They are very, very plainly complete crap like every other heavily processed food

rrr_img_63055.png
rrr_img_63056.png

And yes, they are basically Doritos, and nothing like Almonds
rrr_img_63058.png
rrr_img_63057.png

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Do they really contain a minimal amount of carbs? I'm genuinely curious. Comparing the nutrition labels for the almond chips and regular Doritos, I see:

almond chips - 1 serving (16 chips) - 23g total carbohydrates
Doritos - 1 serving - (11 chips) - 16g total carbohydrates

Both have about 1g of dietary fiber.

I don't really know much about keto so, like I said, I'm genuinely curious if I'm reading things wrong or perhaps I don't understand something about the diet. From what I see on the nutrition labels, I can't see how the almond chips are "better" than typical chips.
My bad, I misread the fiber line as the Carbs line. They really are shit food
smile.png

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Ah, I just realized I was comparing them to chips when a better comparison would be something like Ritz crackers. In that case I agree, they are marginally better in terms of total carbs.

That said, I have to agree with Denaut that if you want snack foods for keto you might as well just eat some nuts - you have tons to choose from. That'll get you tons of calories without many carbs.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After a week, the water is falling out of you is what you mean to say. No carbs will dry the bloat out of you quick, and THEN the pounds will fall off of you!
smile.png

Keto is awesome if you can sustain it for any length of time.
I'm on a medication that's a diuretic already, so there wasn't much to lose in terms of water weight. I'm actually a little concerned on how quickly the pounds are dropping off, the physical transformation in the last week has been pretty dramatic. The shape of my face is night and day compared to when I started.

I snack pretty heavily on nuts already, but it'd be great if there was something similar in consistency to bread that I could eat. I've tried some recipes using almond flour but I generally find the end result to taste overly greasy and generally "empty" tasting compared to bread.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The rule of thumb is that if it has an ad budget, or the product itself is labeled as "healthy", it is probably unhealthy.

You never see commercials for Broccoli and Spinach.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I snack pretty heavily on nuts already, but it'd be great if there was something similar in consistency to bread that I could eat. I've tried some recipes using almond flour but I generally find the end result to taste overly greasy and generally "empty" tasting compared to bread.
If you are going for Keto, then you are kind of stuck not eating anything with the consistency and taste of bread. If you aren't, and you really like bread, then I would actually advise baking your own. It isn't too hard (especially with a machine) and you can decide exactly what goes into it. Much better alternative to store bought.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
What exactly is the advantage of going keto? Like, what is the purpose?

And does it include fruits and vegetables as part of its carb intake? Cause 25-50g of carbs is not a whole lot...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Update on my biggest loser contest at work... Im still number one with 3 weeks to go. Ive lost 40lbs in the past 9 weeks. Basically a major calorie depletion, determination and willpower.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
What exactly is the advantage of going keto? Like, what is the purpose?

And does it include fruits and vegetables as part of its carb intake? Cause 25-50g of carbs is not a whole lot...
For me, Keto's largest benefit was satiety. When you eat a bunch of fat hunger is not really a problem. I also found it more difficult to over eat because of this as well. This allowed minimal calorie counting in general.

The secondary benefits are probably personal ones. I like the types of foods that you can eat on keto. It was easier for me to cut out breads / pasta as well as sugars. It is usually gluten free (more or less), which can also help if you have a gluten allergy. I started to feel much better once I dropped gluten, however, I also was losing weight so it could be coincidence.

In terms of the number of carbs, 25 - 50g can go quite a long way. The dinners that I make at home are generally just a protein and a vegetable. Broccoli, peppers, onions, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, asparagus, and the occasional sweet potato. I still do the diet pretty crazily in that my breakfast / lunch are pretty much just fat and I save the carbs for dinner or just keep them low for the day (under 20g).

Fruit is good as an treat every so often, generally berries. Blackberries / raspberries are delicious and can make a good desert with some cream. The more traditional fruits like apples / bananas, etc. don't work out so well. Canned pumpkin is also pretty great as it is high in fiber. You can make yourself some pumpkin pie filling without the crust.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone explain, or point to references, about the difference between eating lean meat and protein powders? We've all heard that too much protein is bad for your liver and kidneys, and generally point towards powders as the culprit. Why? During my first transformation, I was eating over 1.5 lbs of lean meat a day, in addition to post-workout shake and egg whites in the morning. When I went to the doctor, had bloodwork and the like, I was told my numbers were stellar. Considering that before the transformation I was drinking heavily (which probably contributed to most of my weight gain to begin with), I was surprised by this.

Recently I had a pain around my gallbladder area that seemed to move down through my liver and into my kidneys. Going through a divorce and generally being depressed as shit had me drinking quite a bit and I gained 10lbs while losing muscle. Before setting up a program again, I just had bloodwork and an additional ultrasound and everything was found to be A-OK (levels were great and no current stones were found). My current doctor said I shouldn't need to worry about protein intake as long as I'm consuming a lot of water. I generally drink over a gallon throughout the day. Anyways, I'd like more information on the whole "protein controversy".