Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pretty sure I was rounding my back the opposite way today when I was squating.

Don't ask, I have no idea how I did it either, but I'm in some pain lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do you mean you were leaning too far forward or you were leaning too far back? Picturing the second makes me laugh

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Do you mean you were leaning too far forward or you were leaning too far back? Picturing the second makes me laugh
I have a bad tendency to lean too far back. I've had some very, very close calls where I start to topple backward due to leaning too far back, but fortunately I've always managed to course-correct and regain balance.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Over the weekend I reached the home stretch for my first goal. I weighed in at 210, 73 lbs lost, 11 more to go. The end of June is going to be 12 months in total. I am not sure I am going to hit goal by that time, but I will be close. I am going on vacation next week for my anniversary and, while I will most likely eat alright, I won't be sticking rigorously to my diet and will drop out of ketosis.

BJJ has been great fun so far. I go for 1 - 2 hours 3 or 4 times a week. I went from wanting to die the first week to being able to complete 2 hours and just be normal work out exhausted. Earned my first stripe on my white belt. I do think I will be able to concentrate on being better at BJJ than worrying about weight loss, then just lose weight in the background.

I started to weave DDP Yoga back in 3 - 4 days a week last week to help my body recover. The beginning workouts are low stress enough that they just get the blood flowing and help me stretch. Generally, something on my body is tight or in pain from rolling so this has been helpful.

I switched up my diet to where I am taking in more carbs before I work out to help with energy levels and that is going well. I haven't had a problem of dropping out of ketosis and it is usually 30g or so of carbs that I count outside of my normal daily intake. Also, I changed up my fat sources and dropped my lunch time BPC in favor of more normal sources. I should be due for my cholesterol check up around the same time that I hit goal.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Awesome job, man. I've lost about 18 pounds and it makes me pretty excited thinking about how far I've come. I can't even begin to imagine how life changing dropping 73 pounds would be.

McCheese

I do think I will be able to concentrate on being better at BJJ than worrying about weight loss, then just lose weight in the background.
I really think this is the key to keeping weight off. People who lose weight and keep it off are the ones who introduce physical activities into their lives that they enjoy for the sake of doing them, and for which weight loss is simply a bi-product. If you just lose weight without adopting an active lifestyle, it'll all pile back on again.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol forward. Need to stay over my feet a bit more and keep my back straight. Not sure why I was doing that, must've been focusing too hard on something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you using too much weight? Watching people spot improperly always gave me the chills. That is one exercise you do not want to do improperly, you can really fuck yourself up.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nah it was only 230.

Just a bad day. No biggie, back in there Wednesday and correct it.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
First day, 10 minutes of dancing, apparently 60 kcals burned. At least is something! I'll increase the time every other day until I'm doing almost an hour a day, that would be 400/500 kcals, right?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I really think this is the key to keeping weight off. People who lose weight and keep it off are the ones who introduce physical activities into their lives that they enjoy for the sake of doing them, and for which weight loss is simply a bi-product. If you just lose weight without adopting an active lifestyle, it'll all pile back on again.
Yup. I see too many people who try to diet and they lose some weight but then give up cause dieting sucks when all they needed to do was find something active to do 30-45 mins a day and they would have kept the weight off.

It's finally racing season and I dropped the final five pounds or so I wanted but now I feel too skinny.

Also, if you hate running, I know a good cardio alternative.(this is just a shameless way to post a new video I made.)

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Haha, I know I'm coming across as a whiny bitch, but the area I live in has a lot of hills, so if I've never rode a bike before I feel like it would suck so hard to start around haha

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Haha, I know I'm coming across as a whiny bitch, but the area I live in has a lot of hills, so if I've never rode a bike before I feel like it would suck so hard to start around haha
Not gonna lie, the couple posts you've made you've sounded like a really whiny bitch. Saying "I don't eat that bad" and "I don't like exercise" would indicate that you're not interested in making any significant changes to your diet or lifestyle that would result in an improvement in your health/weight. Also, in your first post you said that lack of exercise is your main issue. That's not true at all. Weight loss is primarily diet. It would take you a solid 30-45 minutes of hard cardio to burn the 400-500 calories of french fries that you'd eat at lunch. What's easier, doing the exercise or not eating the french fries?

I can't imagine that some dancing shit on your Wii is going to burn more than a couple hundred calories an hour, if that.

McCheese

Yes, don't trust the calories burned number that your dancing game is showing you. It's almost certainly horribly inaccurate and very likely overly optimistic.

Physical activity doesn't have to be biking. If you like dancing, why not find some salsa dancing classes or something like that? Or go to a Zumba class? Anything is better than sitting around on your ass. Just remember, as everyone has already pointed out multiple times, any exercise you do won't really matter much if you don't clean up your shitty diet.

*edit* Hell, look at what Himeo did in a year with almost nothing but diet changes. 100 pounds, that's amazing!

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Well, I'm not expecting to get a six pack and perfect chest that's for sure. I'd like to be more healthy and lose the extra pounds I have on. I opened MyFitnessPal and remembered when I used it two years ago... I was 159lbs. Today I weighted myself and was at 198lbs. 40 fucking extra pounds in 2 years.

I suffera lotfrom migraines, 3-4 times a week easily; painkillers all the time (vicodin mostly, and yes I've seen a few neurologists and have had CAT scans and shit done) so I would say that's a big reason I've gained a lot of weight in the past two years; I'm starting to make some diet changes and even if it's just 20 minutes dancing every morning on the wii, it's something to start off, right?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're missing the point that exercise doesn't matter. Weight loss is almost entirely a function of diet. Eomer's example of fries is a good one. The amount of time it would take you to burn off the fries as opposed to just not eating them (or eating something else) is astronomical.

You can cardio your face off for an hour every single day and it's going to make a minimal difference. Instead, you can drop your calories by 500 a day and watch the pounds come off.

So no, dancing for 20 minutes is a waste of time unless you really just like dancing. Do exercise because you enjoy it, or because you want to be healthier (not die from having a terrible cardiovascular system). Don't do exercise because you think you will lose weight from it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was just wanting to post that video, hills make starting out cycling a lot harder since there is no easy intro.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Bros, don't knock dancing. I DDR'd my way to great shape back in college when I lost all that weight (100 lbs). I was practically Asian. Got a fuckin B on Max 300 in heavy mode... felt good man.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Don't get me wrong, exercise is good for your overall health. Very good. You should get 20-30 minutes of strenuous exercise three to five times a week for cardiovascular health. But as far as weight loss is concerned, that comes down to diet. You can still be fairly overweight while getting that much exercise, if you don't clean up your diet. I'm a perfect example of that!

On that topic, it really is surprising what even small changes can do. I'm very much a creature of routine, and my breakfast routine has been three fried eggs, a glass of skim milk, and two pieces of toast with butter. Like clockwork, that's what I eat. Keeping lunch/dinners reasonably the same, I took the toast out and started making omelettes with peppers, green onions, and a very small amount of cheese instead a 10 days ago (still with 3 eggs), and I'm already down 2-3 pounds. That's combined with a couple decent cardio workouts over and above my usual stuff. Hopefully that keeps up.

I don't have any huge weight loss goal. I've slowly crept up to about 195 the past couple years, so I'd like to just creep back down to 175-180 over the summer. I've got a 24 Hours of Adrenaline bike relay rice middle of July that I'd like to be in better shape for than I was last year, but I'm only about 5 pounds away from my weight last year, so I should easily beat that. I just wish the weather would turn here so I can start going for runs and bike rides on a regular basis, but it was fucking snowing and 0C over the weekend. Fuck that, I get ear aches from that shit!

McCheese

I just realized that this week is the 2-year anniversary of me becoming disgusted with myself and deciding to join a gym and change to a healthier lifestyle. I saw a picture of myself back in early May, 2012, and it made me realize how awful I looked, so I went and signed up for the gym a day or two later (after stopping by 7-Eleven to gorge on several bags of candy and chips so I could end my shitty lifestyle in a blaze of sweet and salty glory).

For 2 years I really should be in much better shape than I am, but overall I'm very pleased with where I am. Since I had never even stepped foot in a gym before there was lots of trial and error, and my diet has obviously been far from perfect. Especially, I'm pleased that I've maintained it this long and show no signs of stopping. It certainly isn't going to be a temporary thing and I can say with confidence that I have changed my lifestyle. Before/current picture in the spoiler. The before picture is the one I saw that made me realize how out of shape I'd become, although that wasn't my heaviest. I think I was about 230 - 240 in the before picture and in the current pic I'm (apparently) around 210.

Warning:clicking on the spoiler will ruin the image you probably have of me as a short, fat, greasy neckbeard who lives on fast food.

rrr_img_66238.jpg