Weight Loss Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If coconut oil really has all those benefits(kills pathogens!), why would you want to do it for only one week? Sounds like you should be mainlining that shit.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
So Green Coffee Bean Extract (GCBx)

Now this is mostly anecdotal but I actually know people who have lost weight with this stuff. Normally im very skeptical of all the weight loss 'supplements' which are generally nothing more than caffeine wrapped up with higher price tags.

Supposedly this one has an additional chemical (besides caffeine) called chlorogenic acid? Which atleast a few studies have shown can reduce high blood pressure (this was in a high profile journal, Nature). Some other studies apparently demonstrated weightloss without significant side effects (less respectable journals).

Any opinions or first hand experience?
I know green tea is supposed to boost metabolism, perhaps green coffee beans have a similar effect? Not really sure, I don't drink anything but water and a little Gatorade post-workout cause that shit really quenches my thirst man. I literally take like one gulp though, so a 20 oz bottle will last me a week (I do strength training 3x a week).

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I know green tea is supposed to boost metabolism, perhaps green coffee beans have a similar effect? Not really sure, I don't drink anything but water and a little Gatorade post-workout cause that shit really quenches my thirst man. I literally take like one gulp though, so a 20 oz bottle will last me a week (I do strength training 3x a week).
Fuck water, I drink Brawndo! It's got electrolytes!

rrr_img_22660.gif

rrr_img_22660.gif

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Also been taking:

Fish Oil
Glutamine
Magnesium (as ZMA)
Creatine
Arginine
Whey Protein (post workout only)
Glycine
Acetyl L Carnitine
Fibre supplements (psyllium husks / flax seed powder)
Why do you take so many supplements?

What is everyone else taking in this thread or what is your take on using a lot of different supplements? I guess I weigh it from a health/benefit/cost stand point. Do I need this supplement, will it help me in a measurable way, will it give me ass cancer later? Important things to consider.

What I've used/still use
multivitamins (rubbish, stopped - plus not lacking anything vital)
whey protein (still do)
creatine (on a cycle now)
fish oil (stopped, no discernible benefit)

Is anyone taking anything that they think is really beneficial (aside what's already been posted)?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Actually I just read earlier today an article about human evolution (so not related to bodybuilding at all) that linked DHA (found in seafood) to brain growth in mammals:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...mate-evolution

It is not just human physiology that reveals our aquatic past, argue the theory's supporters. Our brain biochemistry is also revealing. "Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid that is found in large amounts in seafood," said Dr Michael Crawford, of Imperial College London.

"It boosts brain growth in mammals. That is why a dolphin has a much bigger brain than a zebra, though they have roughly the same body sizes. The dolphin has a diet rich in DHA. The crucial point is that without a high DHA diet from seafood we could not have developed our big brains. We got smart from eating fish and living in water.

"More to the point, we now face a world in which sources of DHA - our fish stocks - are threatened. That has crucial consequences for our species. Without plentiful DHA, we face a future of increased mental illness and intellectual deterioration. We need to face up to that urgently. That is the real lesson of the aquatic ape theory."

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That is why a dolphin has a much bigger brain than a zebra, though they have roughly the same body sizes.
That might be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
So Green Coffee Bean Extract (GCBx)

Now this is mostly anecdotal but I actually know people who have lost weight with this stuff. Normally im very skeptical of all the weight loss 'supplements' which are generally nothing more than caffeine wrapped up with higher price tags.

Supposedly this one has an additional chemical (besides caffeine) called chlorogenic acid? Which atleast a few studies have shown can reduce high blood pressure (this was in a high profile journal, Nature). Some other studies apparently demonstrated weightloss without significant side effects (less respectable journals).

Any opinions or first hand experience?
Quackery. Next?!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Why do you take so many supplements?

What is everyone else taking in this thread or what is your take on using a lot of different supplements? I guess I weigh it from a health/benefit/cost stand point. Do I need this supplement, will it help me in a measurable way, will it give me ass cancer later? Important things to consider.

What I've used/still use
multivitamins (rubbish, stopped - plus not lacking anything vital)
whey protein (still do)
creatine (on a cycle now)

Is anyone taking anything that they think is really beneficial (aside what's already been posted)?
People take so many ridiculous supplements because they get their "knowledge" from retards on the Internet. The more we study supplements the more we find they are deleterious. In fact, only vitamin D has any good science behind it in terms of benefitting health as a supplement (sure, maybe some others, I'm not terribly familiar with all f them.) Most supplements should only be used if you have a documented quantifiable deficiency. Otherwise, quackery! Next!?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What's your opinion on taking a daily small dose of aspirin? I was talking with an oncologist friend and he said that's pretty much the only thing he would recommend to people along with vitamin D (especially since we don't get much sun up here), because it has so many fairly well tested benefits.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
What's your opinion on taking a daily small dose of aspirin? I was talking with an oncologist friend and he said that's pretty much the only thing he would recommend to people along with vitamin D (especially since we don't get much sun up here), because it has so many fairly well tested benefits.
Absolutely agree 100% with him. Sometimes I'm shocked at high risk patients who have multiple co-morbidities who come in without being on a daily aspirin. There are quality control measures to help ensure these patients get on daily aspirin and other necessary medications. But someone your age, no, I wouldn't reccomend the daily aspirin because I don't believe there is sufficient data that you would benefit enough to justify the small risk of bleeding (unless you have a strong family history of cardiac disease.)

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
(Checking out of this thread before I blow my whole day off arguing with hippie weight lifters who practice Paleo religion and deny science, etc.)

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Minimum of 20 minutes a day of good cardio and stop eating stupid ass shit. /weight loss thread

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
200 grams of meat does not mean you are eating 200 grams of protein. 1200 grams a day of meat(of any kind), though, is a fair amount, and should be more than enough protein for any kind of muscle building. But don't say you're eating 6x200 a day of protein, because meat is not pure protein.

I like Starbucks refreshers, they're 60 calories, which is much less than soda, although they don't give me as much of an energy pickup as a monster, they taste good, so green coffee extract wins there.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
200 grams of meat does not mean you are eating 200 grams of protein. 1200 grams a day of meat(of any kind), though, is a fair amount, and should be more than enough protein for any kind of muscle building. But don't say you're eating 6x200 a day of protein, because meat is not pure protein.
I'm amazed you're still going on about it and I'm amazed that anyone thought I was eating 200g of protein per meal to begin with. And I never said I was eating 6x200g of pure protein to begin with, idiot.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
If coconut oil really has all those benefits(kills pathogens!), why would you want to do it for only one week? Sounds like you should be mainlining that shit.
I know you're being facetious, but the claims about coconut oil are just more evidence that the tards pushing it have no idea what they're talking about. If it magically killed so many pathogenic bacteria, then it sure as hell would kill your normal bacterial flora. We'd then see people who eat coconut oil getting opportunistic bacterial diarrhea like C. diff, women would be getting tons of opportunistic yeast infections, we'd get thrush (oral yeast), etc. It's just so hilarious the claims that people make about crap.

It's just pure insanity to believe that coconut oil (or whatever people are trying to sale this week or next week) is magically going to kill all the bad bacteria but help the good ones, etc.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm amazed you're still going on about it and I'm amazed that anyone thought I was eating 200g of protein per meal to begin with. And I never said I was eating 6x200g of pure protein to begin with, idiot.
This guys jimmies are getting rustled ever so softly.

Diet was nothing processed, low carb with 6 x 200g of protein a day.