Weight Loss Thread

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've lost 30 lbs in approximately six weeks. I really can't explain it. I have an incredibly unhealthy diet and I drink a lot. I've never had much of an appetite and have lived on one meal a day, most days, for the past two years or so. I'm 5'7" and last time I clocked in I was at 145. I'm down to 115 now.

I don't feel bad, and as far as I know there's nothing seriously wrong with me. I went through extensive medical tests back in March to investigate the possible genetic links of pulmonary fibrosis, since my dad and his identical twin died from it relatively young. I don't have cancer, no lung scarring, no liver problems, nothing major other than epilepsy, but I've had generalized epilepsy and taken the same medication since I was 17.

I'm kind of blown away. I guess I'll go to a doctor soon- I didn't realize how extreme this was until I stepped on a friend's scale while I was taking a piss. EDIT: I confirmed the weight on another scale to make sure it wasn't a fault in the machine.

Anyone ever experienced this?
If its definitely 30 lbs in six weeks and you say you've been eating the same meal per day since your last weigh in this suggests an underlying medical condition, I'd go to the doctors sooner rather than later. Its not an exact science but 5 pounds a week needs a deficit of around 17500 calories, which is 2500 per day. Is there any change to your exercise routine/eating habits where you'd suddenly start burning 2500 extra calories every day? I'd say probably not, go see someone.

W

Wrathcaster

If its definitely 30 lbs in six weeks and you say you've been eating the same meal per day since your last weigh in this suggests an underlying medical condition, I'd go to the doctors sooner rather than later. Its not an exact science but 5 pounds a week needs a deficit of around 17500 calories, which is 2500 per day. Is there any change to your exercise routine/eating habits where you'd suddenly start burning 2500 extra calories every day? I'd say probably not, go see someone.
I have no exercise routine and my eating habits remain unchanged. I guess I'll just have to go see a doctor.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
rrr_img_79982.gif

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Unexplained weight loss of 10 or more lbs is often the first sign of cancer.... 30 lbs in 6 months is extreme though. At 5'7" 115 lbs man... I'm betting you look beyond anorexic. I'd see a dr immediately.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Side effect of eating a low carb diet for a really long time. I've passed some kidney stones this week.

Not fun.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Current gym has weights, etc. The problem is that I trade work out days with my wife as one of us has to watch the dog. So I am trying to find something at home I can do as waking up early has never worked out for me.
Pulls ups. Start palms inboard, then work to palms outboard. Make pull ups your religion.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've lost 30 lbs in approximately six weeks. I really can't explain it. I have an incredibly unhealthy diet and I drink a lot. I've never had much of an appetite and have lived on one meal a day, most days, for the past two years or so. I'm 5'7" and last time I clocked in I was at 145. I'm down to 115 now.

I don't feel bad, and as far as I know there's nothing seriously wrong with me. I went through extensive medical tests back in March to investigate the possible genetic links of pulmonary fibrosis, since my dad and his identical twin died from it relatively young. I don't have cancer, no lung scarring, no liver problems, nothing major other than epilepsy, but I've had generalized epilepsy and taken the same medication since I was 17.

I'm kind of blown away. I guess I'll go to a doctor soon- I didn't realize how extreme this was until I stepped on a friend's scale while I was taking a piss. EDIT: I confirmed the weight on another scale to make sure it wasn't a fault in the machine.

Anyone ever experienced this?
Go to the doc asap. 30lb in 6 weeks is absolutely insane. You could have serious health issues going on, especially at 5'7" @ 115lb!

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I hope you realize all the awesome research you've done on the internet on how to lift and all the youtube videos you've watched are from trainers. I mean yeah, most of them are retarded, especially ones at major chain gyms, but they aren't all retarded.
tldr; trainers hurt newbs who are newbs and therefore can't tell that they're at risk, made extra dangerous by newbs not knowing that exercise isn't supposed to hurt in the first place.

Just to revisit this, because nicotine is kicking your ass and you want to argue the dumbest shit these days...:

The people most likely to want to pay a "professional" for help with proper lifting technique are the least likely to be able to determine if the trainer is retarded or not. I've got a buddy on the west coast who might start lifting, if he asks me "What do you think about PTs?", should I say "just find a good one!". How does that help him? If he knew how to appraise proper deadlift and squat form then he wouldn't need a trainer anyway.

The ridiculous nonsense I see the trainers at my gym doing every day is beyond belief -- morbidly obese people doing box jumps/sprints, horrible looking "squats" on the smith machine, far too much weight on a b.press with tons of spotter assist followed by 'that was all you bro!'. Not only is this generally counter-productive, but it's down right dangerous. And exercise tends to defeat the bodies natural self-defense mechanism, think of how many people associate a good workout with pain? Bro-science and newbwisdom would have you believe that if your DOMS go away after a week that you need to change your workout around for muscle confusion, because prompting an adaptation response is clearly not what we're looking for here! Trainers even encourage that shit -- you can tell by the ridiculously convoluted and complex workouts they put day 1 beginners on. Because obviously the first week in the gym is when a beginner needs 90 minutes of volume!

EDIT: Remember, Ossoi's trainer had him drink straight coconut oil! That isn't even that damaging in the grand scheme of things, but newbs are fucking retarded.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
tldr; trainers hurt newbs who are newbs and therefore can't tell that they're at risk, made extra dangerous by newbs not knowing that exercise isn't supposed to hurt in the first place.

Just to revisit this, because nicotine is kicking your ass and you want to argue the dumbest shit these days...:

The people most likely to want to pay a "professional" for help with proper lifting technique are the least likely to be able to determine if the trainer is retarded or not. I've got a buddy on the west coast who might start lifting, if he asks me "What do you think about PTs?", should I say "just find a good one!". How does that help him? If he knew how to appraise proper deadlift and squat form then he wouldn't need a trainer anyway.

The ridiculous nonsense I see the trainers at my gym doing every day is beyond belief -- morbidly obese people doing box jumps/sprints, horrible looking "squats" on the smith machine, far too much weight on a b.press with tons of spotter assist followed by 'that was all you bro!'. Not only is this generally counter-productive, but it's down right dangerous. And exercise tends to defeat the bodies natural self-defense mechanism, think of how many people associate a good workout with pain? Bro-science and newbwisdom would have you believe that if your DOMS go away after a week that you need to change your workout around for muscle confusion, because prompting an adaptation response is clearly not what we're looking for here! Trainers even encourage that shit -- you can tell by the ridiculously convoluted and complex workouts they put day 1 beginners on. Because obviously the first week in the gym is when a beginner needs 90 minutes of volume!

EDIT: Remember, Ossoi's trainer had him drink straight coconut oil! That isn't even that damaging in the grand scheme of things, but newbs are fucking retarded.
I don't even know what the point of that entire diatribe was. Yea, someone with no experience won't know if the trainer they go to is good or not. Just like they won't know if all the shit they are reading on the internet and watching on YouTube is legit. What exactly are you trying to say here? That just because you see bad trainers at your gym every single personal trainer at every gym or facility on planet earth is retarded? Every fitness article on form and every YouTube demonstration is done by medical doctors who have years of research under their belts? Are you really trying to say that I am the one arguing dumb shit here?

What we agree on:
Personal Trainers are usually shit because there are no credentials required to become one. So you have to be cautious.

What we don't agree on:
Trusting the fucking internet more than a person just because you see bad personal trainers at your gym. You know those same types of people (i.e. Personal Trainers) put the majority of that information out there right?

P.S. can we also agree that you are using an incredible amount of hyperbole when you describe what all the trainers have every new client doing at your shitty ass gym?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Lol, no man. Your average gym PT making $10/hr is not the same as a well-researched well-respected man in the fitness/lifting community. I'm talking: Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Rippetoe. It's possible to come up with a pretty good idea of the basics and how to progress into intermediate/advanced metrics by research and synthesis online. For free. And I never said "every PT is garbage", I said "most". Never once did I recommend to just plug "how 2 b strong" into Youtube. There are communities to learn how to better oneself for every skill-set on the planet; it takes research, analysis, and synthesis to come up with a plan.

Do you even lift, bro? That you think the garden-variety PT is responsible for all the well-respected content online for lifting makes me think you don't lift at all and you're just spouting random shit. Aside from blowing out your shoulder, what have you accomplished fitness wise? Are you strong or fast? Or are you pulling the "I have an above-average IQ so my opinions on every subject are probably correct" routine on me.

Khane

Lol, no man. Your average gym PT making $10/hr is not the same as a well-researched well-respected man in the fitness/lifting community. I'm talking: Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald, Rippetoe.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that:

1) Guys like that only exist on the internet
2) People who have never gone to the gym before know who these "fitness gurus" are and immediately go to their websites for information

I'm surprised I have to explain these things to you. I have a very long history in this thread, including pictures of when I lost a shitload of weight AND was lifting 6 days a week. Along with numbers involved with my gains that people refused to believe because of the time frames involved, and I'm not going down that road again. I've been lifting since I was 20 years old, with stoppages because of injuries I've already explained here. I am 32.

In case you are STILL missing the point I am making. Yes there are good sources on the internet, but they are just as hard to find for a beginner with no experience as a good personal trainer at a gym or other facility. Do you get it?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize that:

1) Guys that like only exist on the internet
2) People who have never gone to the gym before know who these "fitness gurus" are and immediately go to their websites for information

I'm surprised I have to explain these things to you. I have a very long history in this thread, including pictures of when I lost a shitload of weight AND was lifting 6 days a week. Along with numbers involved with my gains that people refused to believe because of the time frames involved, and I'm not going down that road again. I've been lifting since I was 20 years old, with stoppages because of injuries I've already explained here. I am 32.

In case you are STILL missing the point I am making. Yes there are good sources on the internet, but they are just as hard to find for a beginner with no experience as a good personal trainer at a gym or other facility. Do you get it?
No, you are missing the point. But I'm not surprised: you were fat, you were a smoker, and you repeatedly injured yourself... and you're still running your mouth like you know what healthy is. I'm sure a 6 day a week split for a fat newb made a ton of sense to you. How much fucking $ did you spend on personal training? How much dumb shit did you buy? After TWELVE years, how strong and fast are you? It's fucking awesome for the PT community that guys like you exist. Seriously Khane -- your posts come across as preaching and condescending. Maybe you could get away with this if you were rockin' some Adonis physique... but you were/are an obese smoker with twelve years of experience that potentially misrepresented his gains (?).

A beginner with no experience can still read and watch interactions on a community for lifting -- they'll quickly see that newbs are directed to do a full-body routine focused on practicing the major composite lifts (squat/dead/bench/press/row). After 3-12 months, the newb is encouraged to branch off and find a split that they enjoy.

The odds of a personal trainer recommending this to a novice is practically zero. The PT will have his novice wasting fucking time drinking coconut oil and doing a weird list of machine workouts. Someone else chime in here and tell us what you think the odds of a PT teaching his client how to do composite lifts properly...

Khane

No, you are missing the point. But I'm not surprised: you were fat, you were a smoker, and you repeatedly injured yourself... and you're still running your mouth like you know what healthy is. I'm sure a 6 day a week split for a fat newb made a ton of sense to you. How much fucking $ did you spend on personal training? How much dumb shit did you buy? After TWELVE years, how strong and fast are you? It's fucking awesome for the PT community that guys like you exist. Seriously Khane -- your posts come across as preaching and condescending. Maybe you could get away with this if you were rockin' some Adonis physique... but you were/are an obese smoker with twelve years of experience that potentially misrepresented his gains (?).

A beginner with no experience can still read and watch interactions on a community for lifting -- they'll quickly see that newbs are directed to do a full-body routine focused on practicing the major composite lifts (squat/dead/bench/press/row). After 3-12 months, the newb is encouraged to branch off and find a split that they enjoy.

The odds of a personal trainer recommending this to a novice is practically zero. The PT will have his novice wasting fucking time drinking coconut oil and doing a weird list of machine workouts. Someone else chime in here and tell us what you think the odds of a PT teaching his client how to do composite lifts properly...
Eidal, you're way off base. I smoked for one year. One year out of boredom (well, technically 2 years, but that first year was a social thing and I almost always bummed, didn't buy my own). I was fat for 2 years of my life from 18 til 20 when I was in college drinking way too much.

I've posted pictures of the transformation in this very thread. You have a lot of nerve accusing me of being condescending. You wanna start getting into a pissing match in here? Grow up and learn how to read. You obviously didn't understand a single thing I was saying.

I have never, not even once until this past week paid for a personal trainer. I worked out with people I trusted when I first started and when I felt comfortable I started reading the west side barbell philosophy by Louie Simmons. That is how I trained. For years. But I only learned about that after talking with people at my gym. You seem to think you know a lot about me. Not sure why.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Eidal, you're way off base. I smoked for one year. One year out of boredom. I was fat for 2 years of my life from 18 til 20 when I was in college drinking way too much.

I've posted pictures of the transformation in this very thread. You have a lot of nerve accusing me of being condescending. You wanna start getting into a pissing match in here? Grow up and learn how to read. You obviously didn't understand a single thing I was saying.
Fine. Honestly I don't know why this point is riling me up. We can agree to disagree.

I maintain that the most optimal way for a beginner to proceed is via internet research and collaboration (e.g., read bodybuilding.com, follow consensus-derived newb advice, and then post form checks for compound lifts). If you think that a beginner is better off finding a trainer, then that is your prerogative... but if the beginner knew the criteria for determining if the trainer knew his shit, then he wouldn't need the trainer.

Khane

Fine. Honestly I don't know why this point is riling me up. We can agree to disagree.

I maintain that the most optimal way for a beginner to proceed is via internet research and collaboration (e.g., read bodybuilding.com, follow consensus-derived newb advice, and then post form checks for compound lifts). If you think that a beginner is better off finding a trainer, then that is your prerogative... but if the beginner knew the criteria for determining if the trainer knew his shit, then he wouldn't need the trainer.
See, like I said, you were misunderstanding what I was saying. I never said it's better for a beginner to find a trainer. I said trainers are pretty much mostly shit and not worth it, BUT the internet is mostly shit and not worth it too, after all everything you read is written by trainers, and they aren't magically more knowledgeable and better than gym trainers just because they're on the fucking internet. Beginners should seek out someone they trust who has an idea of where to direct them and if they can't do that, they should just hope they've read enough that they can start to decide what is bullshit and what is not.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Side effect of eating a low carb diet for a really long time. I've passed some kidney stones this week.

Not fun.
heh, my sister had a pretty drastic change in her diet and weight a few years ago, in that she decided to not be such a lazy fatass and managed to drop 30+ lbs in I dunno, six months maybe. Her body's reaction? Gall bladder attack! I can't recall if she had it removed or what. She's back to being fat again, as well, although having twins a year ago didn't help that at all. But seriously, get your shit together.

Khane

heh, my sister had a pretty drastic change in her diet and weight a few years ago, in that she decided to not be such a lazy fatass. Her body's reaction? Gall bladder attack! I can't recall if she had it removed or what. She's back to being fat again, as well, although having twins a year ago didn't help that at all. But seriously, get your shit together.
To be fair, the kidney stones probably weren't from the low carb diet. They were probably from the years of drinking 8 liters of soda every day and it finally caught up to him.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
To be fair, the kidney stones probably weren't from the low carb diet. They were probably from the years of drinking 8 liters of soda every day and it finally caught up to him.
More like 2-3. Pretty hard to drink 8 liters of anything in a day.

Low carb diets increase risk for kindey stones. Never had problems before this, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.