Weight Loss Thread

Results were 78.4 and 15.8% which is a pretty big indication that my night of alcohol resulted in an increase of water weight, this drove the bf percentage down last week. Since last week I've stuck to a low carb diet and lost the water weight. Todays result should be a truer reflection of my actual bf %
Remember boys and girls, calipers are accurate, and fluctuations in water don't show up when measuring! Fucking CRAZY TALK!

So the calipers my PT is using at various points around my body every week are measuring the water loss? OK BUDDY GOOD ONE

You both fail at reading comprehension.

Jan 1st-Feb 5th: Pre-PT, no carbs and a calorie deficit, 1hr of indoor soccer a week = 5kg weight loss (could have been muscle, fat and water)
Feb 5th onwards: Weights 3 x a week, 1 hr of indoor soccer, no carbs and 6 meals a day, no worrying about calories = no weight loss and 4% fat loss.

I never attributed it solely to cutting out no carbs at all, the last post is so full of fail I feel bad for him
yes, because my body stores water in my cheeks, arms, shoulder blades and all the other obscure places where calipers are used to measure body fat...rofl fucking fail, this post has had me lolling all day. retard

rrr_img_25138.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Remember boys and girls, calipers are accurate, and fluctuations in water don't show up when measuring! Fucking CRAZY TALK!
you're idiot.

I already explained it:

If I pour 33.33g of blue sand, 33.33g red sand and 33.33 white sand into a bowl the total mass will be 100g. If I then pour more red sand and white sand into the bowl the total mass will increase, the % of red and white sand that make up the mass will increase and the % of blue sand will go down.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't even know what you're trying to prove? That body calipers measure amount of water held by the body and not body fat? The posts you selectively quoting aren't even arguing that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
He kind of pooped all over you, bro. Just go home.
Yeah except he didn't.

His argument seems to be that body fat calipers (despite them being a tried and tested way to measure body fat % by hundreds of thousands of people worldwide) don't measure body fat but instead measure body water.

He seems to think that because 1 week of 14 I put on increased water weight due to ingestion of carbs that this proves his point. He then quotes the following post to back him up:

"Jan 1st-Feb 5th: Pre-PT, no carbs and a calorie deficit, 1hr of indoor soccer a week = 5kg weight loss (could have been muscle, fat and water)
Feb 5th onwards: Weights 3 x a week, 1 hr of indoor soccer, no carbs and 6 meals a day, no worrying about calories = no weight loss and 4% fat loss."

Anyone that goes on a low carb diet and sticks to it (as I have done 99% of the time) will shed water weight in the first few weeks and keep it off. If they train regularly, eat the right things etc and get their bf measured regularly, the % will surely drop consistently through both burning fat and increasing muscle mass. The low carb diet is keeping the water weight off so how can the calipers measure anything else but body fat?

I had one weekend of eating carbs, this resulted in weight gain composed of water, this naturally had an effect on the overall body fat percentage - not the body fat mass - and arktheseadickhead (who funnily enough has been quiet recently) couldn't wait to jump in, quote the posts he had bookmarked along with the shit meme pic he made in MS Paint and be all "HAAHAHA PROVED U WRONG LOZL"

If anyone else has an explanation for how my weight has stayed in a range of 78-82kg since February and the BF% readings have come down from 23% to 15.8% other than fat loss I would love to hear it, after all you all know so much more than me and my trainer.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
*sigh* This line of talk is getting annoyingly stupid.

All measurements, including body calipers, have a precision and accuracy associated with them. These are expressed different ways including usingmargin of errorandSignificant Figures. What you know is that your body fat has a 90% chance of being between 11.8% and 19.8% ASSUMING the best case scenario of medical grade calipers and a medically trained technician. Probably not the case at your gym.

Not only that, but fat loss and muscle gain are NOT LINEAR, in biological organisms growth tends to happen in spurts. We are all pretty familiar with the concept as we have words for it like pregnancy and puberty. Without significant cost we do not measure changes in body composition that can happen within a single week but the changes themselves can also happen in bursts so that OVER TIME you have an average change that is reliably measurable (within the given margins).

While I am sure you have positively changed your body composition for the better, and I know well enough that isn't easy, you need to stop spouting off these numbers like they are some sort of authority. THAT was the reason people originally jumped all over you, it is because you were quoting numbers with confidence FAR out of line with the measurement methods and then attempting to link them with activities that couldn't possibly had an impact ON those inaccurate measurements.

So really, just relax. Enjoy your new food, activity, and health. Stop attempting to measure everything to infinite accuracy and precision then using that in some sort of nonsensical cause-effect mechanism.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
While I am sure you have positively changed your body composition for the better, and I know well enough that isn't easy, you need to stop spouting off these numbers like they are some sort of authority. .
I don't think I ever stated that body fat calipers were 100% accurate and I'm pretty sure that's not what arkthedouchebag was jumping on me. I don't have his posts bookmarked like he does mine so I can't verify, nor can I be bothered to go back and check

But you're right, this thread is getting increasingly repetitive but the blame lies with the keyboard ninjas who jump over everything I post. Which is ironic as I doubt none of them can jump irl

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you think what anyone has to say in this thread bothers me then you're very much mistaken

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
One week in to my new diet.
Starting weight 400lbs.
Current weight 385.

Feeling a lot better already. I could really use some advice about starting to cook food for myself. That would make the diet I'm on much cheaper and sustainable long term.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
My original post:

"Just finished week 2 and my weight has stayed around 80kg but my body fat is down from 23% to 19%.

The diet he's put me on: 150-200g of lean meat and a handful of organic nuts for breakfast, then 5 other meals of 150-200g throughout the day. No carbs except vegetables, root vegetables not included. I've been no carbing since Jan 1st anyway so that point hasn't been too difficult."

Arkks reply: "You didn't lose 4% bodyfat in 2 weeks and you don't need to cut carbs(completely) from a diet to lose weight. You lost water."

By this stage I had already been no-carbing for a month and as a result I would already have shed the water weight ages before this post. Ergo Arkk is wrong. Simples

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Double posting won't help you lose weight faster.

As for starting cooking, that's a bit trickier. You have motivation(lose weight) but that doesn't necessarily directly translate into wanting to cook. I guess my recommendation would be to find a few meals that you really like and then watch the good eats episode on that meal. Unless it's bolognese...don't make his bolognese.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Some of your recommendations are kind of a bummer. No corn or soy fed animal meat? Hard to do or expensive. And I'm not sure I even understand the reasoning behind that one. The differences I've heard between grass or corn fed has been taste.
It has to do with the lipid profile of the meat (which affects taste as well). 100% grass-fed beef has a much more favorable ??3:??6 ratio than corn fed beef. It is really the ratio that counts, but the SAD is full of ??6 with very little to no ??3. This seems to be the major risk factor for heart disease that can be linked to meat (although this problem isn't exclusively attributable to meat). Grass-fed beef is good for you for the same reason wild salmon or fish oil pills are good for you. Same principle counts for dairy as well.

It can be expensive, but if you can afford to buy and store an entire cow (or half) it would actually be cheaper over the course of a whole year. In which case you can usehttp://www.eatwild.com/to find a local farm to buy from.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Feeling a lot better already. I could really use some advice about starting to cook food for myself. That would make the diet I'm on much cheaper and sustainable long term.
For long term health learning to cook is critical. The best advice I can give you is to use fresh ingredients and to dive in knowing you will royally fuck up sometimes. That is alright, just keep trying until you learn.

One piece of specific advice I like to give is to buy whole chickens and learn to spatchcock them. A flattened bird cooks in only 45 minutes, is delicious, and can feed up to 4 people (that aren't me). Then you can save the bones and use them along with some carrot tops, celery ends, and onion bits to make awesome stock for the cost of what is otherwise kitchen waste. Good stock opens up a world of cheap and delicious stews/soups.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
One week in to my new diet.
Starting weight 400lbs.
Current weight 385.

"Advice about starting to cook food for myself" is a pretty general statement. Are you looking for specific recipes? Do you have any cooking experience? What kinds of things do you like?

I linked this website back towards the beginning of the thread and I think it deserves to be linked here again:skinnytaste. It's got tons of "healthy" (i.e using lean meats, veggies, fruits) recipes and full nutritional breakdowns of each. Some of them are extremely complicated and others are incredibly simple. I'd look around on that website or any other until you find something that looks appetizing.

Alternatively, if you don't mind living a more spartan lifestyle, you could just keep it simple and do stuff like boil chicken and eggs and eat tuna out of cans.