Weight Loss Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
There is no harm in diet soda. Its really been probably one of the longest running mass public health studies in the world, if you think about it. And there is no one dying or getting sick from this shit. Its been around from the 1960s. Almost 60 yrs of diet soda consumption with millions of people drinking it and yet where is all the sick people?
I would say that is a bad argument given the spike in obesity since the 60s.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Spike in obesity really took off in the 80s and 90s. I attribute this to the early 80s FDA "fat is evil" guidelines and the "replace fat with sugar and carbs" diets of the 80s and 90s.

rrr_img_136107.gif

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What do you think diet soda was doing until the early 2000s? It was replacing fat with sugar. Sugar free sodas didn't exist until like 10 years ago.

EDIT: Actually I don't how they made soda back in the day or what contributed to the high calorie count in non diet. But sugar free soda (which is what diet soda is today) still really wasn't a thing until fairly recently.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Again, diet soda, meaning sugar free, sweetner replaced soda was around since the 60s, not the last 10 yrs, silly. first it was shit like saccharin and then later nuta sweet.

Khane

Hrmm, alright I have no idea then. Maybe I'm confusing the new fangled 0 calorie shit with sugar free.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs. 3 strawberries. Diet Pepsi. Starving.
Lunch: 9oz of baked buffalo chicken. Diet Coke. Hunger gone for 10 minutes. My fat ass is hungry again.
Dinner will be 5 drumsticks and a couple diet root beers.
Snack will be a sugar free lime jello.
During the day I will drink about a gallon and a half of water.
Gym will be rep day for chest all phases.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Do you drink coffee? Or have you tried carbonated water? Those two things really help me out with hunger during the day.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember when Tab! was the diet drink of choice for women. the 70's man. 70's! Dudes were not allowed to drink it either and remain dudes.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I thought some studies had found that artificial sweeteners can still fuck with your body's insulin response or blood sugar spikes or something like that? That they can actually stimulate appetite or cravings?

In any case, I think it's kind of part of the whole self control thing. You know who drinks the most diet soda? Fat people! Because they constantly need to be consuming extremely flavorful, salty, sweet, savory foods. They've trained their taste buds and psychology to crave that kind of shit. Breaking those kinds of habits, in my opinion, is a big part of maintaining a healthier diet and lifestyle. For me it's pretty easy to stay away from that shit, as I find some artificial sweeteners upset my stomach and/or give me the shits.
This is my belief too, you never see thin people ordering large diet cokes. Learning how to not have everything covered in sugars and fats is necessary for staying thin and not the yoyo most people do on diets. Once you really cut back on all the heavily processed garbage out there, it becomes hard to drink/eat.

I drink like 2-3 LA Croix a day but that's due to me trying to drink less beer so that helps with the habit of having a drink after work but other than that, it's black coffee in the morning and tap water for the rest of the day.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Meh, its all cool, to each their own I guess. But people gotta fucking live too. Some tend to take this shit to extremes too, which is also unhealthy, maybe not so much for the body but for the mind and soul.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So breakfast: 3 hard boiled eggs. 3 strawberries. Diet Pepsi. Starving.
Lunch: 9oz of baked buffalo chicken. Diet Coke. Hunger gone for 10 minutes. My fat ass is hungry again.
Dinner will be 5 drumsticks and a couple diet root beers.
Snack will be a sugar free lime jello.
During the day I will drink about a gallon and a half of water.
Gym will be rep day for chest all phases.
You are going to have to suffer through some hunger to lose weight, you know. You're trying to run a calorie deficit so that, coupled with physical activity, you body consumes some fat reserves. It's going to be a matter of finding the balance between a little hundry and "I wanna fuckin' die this sucks" hungry.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
And when running a deficit such that you lose weight, you will feel a little sluggish, a little irritable, and definitely not have the pop in the gym you used to. Once you power through that shit and get used to it it's no big deal, but to get to 300+lbs you've been overeating for a very long time and you're probably used to the feeling of eating in excess.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What is baked buffalo chicken? Is that with skin, breading and butter? Also, those drumsticks are big calorie hit for the amount fullness they deliver.

Khane

Also, those drumsticks are big calorie hit for the amount fullness they deliver.
Why do you say that? It's white meat chicken and some skin.

I'm still confused about what the hell a drumstick is though because I look up recipes and they are definitely legs but you guys are making them sound like wings. Is it just that a drumstick is just the one portion of the leg without the thigh? And if it has the thigh it's an entire leg? And if it is the leg than sure it's dark meat but it's still just chicken. Albeit a little more calorie dense than breast meat.

Help!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why do you say that? It's white meat chicken and some skin.

I'm still confused about what the hell a drumstick is though because I look up recipes and they are definitely legs but you guys are making them sound like wings. Is it just that a drumstick is just the one portion of the leg without the thigh? And if it has the thigh it's an entire leg? And if it is the leg than sure it's dark meat but it's still just chicken. Albeit a little more calorie dense than breast meat.

Help!
rrr_img_136128.jpg

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
No, that's a drumstick. It's dark meat and has a high fat to meat ratio, with full skin and very little (dark meat) meat.

I mean, they're fucking delicious but eating 5 of them for dinner should probably not be your daily dinner plan when you're trying to cut. Boneless skinless breasts would deliver more protein for the same calories.

It's also hard to quantify them. The caloric estimates for them are all over the place from 70 calories to 230, presumably depending on size.

Edit, by the way, I think the "leg" is inclusive of the drumstick. The drumstick is just the lower part.

rrr_img_136129.jpg

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That comes in at around 1800 calories, roughly, depending on where you get your information on calories. You might need to adjust that number a little based upon your body weight and activity level.
A little?

Just for your info, I weigh 170-175lbs and cut on more than that.