Weight Loss Thread

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
There's a big dif between this and only drinking on nye. Can't believe you don't like any mixed drinks though
Mixed drinks are fine but then, it's not the taste of the alcohol you're liking there is it? It's the sugar and fruit juice or whatever. The mixer is to mask the horrible fucking taste of alcohol.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Starting being careful about actually tracking stuff again on MFP and guess what, down two pounds since I started whining. Also increased weights. Progress!
Hurray! Sometimes it is the simple things. Eyeballing portions and guessing isn't very accurate, unless you've had years where money matters depending on the portion/measurement and have a ton of practice. Just getting an accurate log can do wonders, as you can see~

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The muffins are those low carb/sugar muffins. No beer in more than 2 months. Those are the zero cal root beers.

My dinner sizes are pretty large I guess. I didn't think 1000 cals though. Jeez I can cut that down. Man even berries are bad? My god! I can cut out the cheese on my breakfast...Maybe even the bacon a bit. But my god how do people not stay hungry eating that little bit of food!
Late reply I realize.

You are going to stay hungry. That's part of diet and lifestyle change. Your body is used to whatever you did when you were putting on weight and now it's getting cranky when you're gonna be on a deficit. You will eventually feel full eating less but your body needs time to realize that's the new normal.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I am now down to 286! I pretty much skip breakfast now, and eat 2 hard boiled eggs. Lunch is a half ass salad. Dinner is usually chicken now as opposed to steak. I am skinning the chicken, and I can't tell the difference.

Using the scale...3 drumsticks is about 12 oz. I am now drinking the diet lemonade which I think tastes great. 2g of sugar per serving and 15 calories. Snacks are still those sugar free jello cups or pops.

Today I had a chocolate chip cookie for lunch and a cup of milk. I feel guilty as hell AFTER I eat it...but man it was delicious going down! Dinner will again be three drumsticks.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
A cup of milk and a cookie might be like 400 calories, depending on the % of the milk and the size of the cookie. You're fine lol.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm down 11 lbs in 3 weeks. The flexible dieting makes it really easy to not cheat and not have cravings (since you can eat whatever you want as long as you "budget" around it). The body fat measurements are definitely not completely accurate, but it gives me a general idea of where I'm at (probably within 2-3%).

rrr_img_136433.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Regarding body fat measurements, I'm doing the simple military tape test, but I do have calipers. When I did the 3 point caliper test it came up with 18% body fat... which obviously isn't right. Anybody used calipers to measure body fat before? I'm guessing I'm not grabbing enough skin or pinching too hard.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Body fat % really doesn't matter as an absolute number I'd just get to the desired leanness by appearance and call it good.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I guess I've been conditioned to like numbers by playing so many RPGs and MMOs over the years. My main concern would be losing pounds and a lot of it being lean body mass (not body fat), but that doesn't seem to be happening, so I'm not really that worried about it.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I guess I've been conditioned to like numbers by playing so many RPGs and MMOs over the years. My main concern would be losing pounds and a lot of it being lean body mass (not body fat), but that doesn't seem to be happening, so I'm not really that worried about it.
That's unlikely to happen until you're substantially more lean. Once you're sub 15% you probably don't want to be cutting fast (over 1lb/week) any longer.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is there a reason why that happens at that particular range? I've not read that anywhere else.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Ehh I only have a vague idea of the mechanisms in question but my newb understanding is that A) the body really doesn't want to eat its own muscle because the process is hugely inefficient, but it will if it has to, and B) you can only "tap" up to a certain amount of calories in a time period from fat stores. No idea on the exact windows and I'm sure it varies person to person.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think Eidal is referring to maximum fat loss per day being related to the amount of fat you have to lose. This was an article I had bookmarked related to the subject.

Calculating the Daily Calorie Deficit For Maximum Fat Loss | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Haven't done much research lately on it, but it seems to make sense.
Interesting read for sure. It looks like the metabolic change is caused by the decreased fat volume (and by virtue of the decreased volume, a decrease in access to use stored fat as energy). When someone is obese or very overweight, they could theoretically utilize their stored fat for their entire daily caloric need. (This would be highly inefficient for reasons that are probably obvious to everyone here, and stated in the article if you're interested in the details.)

The example they provided that basically sums up the paper's conclusion is:

"For example, a 200 pound man at 15% body fat would have 30 pounds of fat, enough to provide about 940 calories of energy over the course of a day. Assuming he reduced his calories intake to 940 below maintenance for a day, by the end of the day he would have lost about a quarter pound of fat, which would require the deficit to be reduced by about eight calories the next day."

If the guy in the example ate more than a 940 calorie deficit his body would start catabolizing muscle to meet its energy requirements.

So it's not that 15% is the magic number where you're forced out of the fast lane; it's the fact that you can only offload a very small percentage of your total body fat per day. And I imagine for most people, 15% body fat is going to be much less than the 30 lbs in the example. Assuming my measurements are somewhat accurate, my Lean Body Mass (LBM) is 161lbs. So 15% body fat for me is only 24 lbs.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
There's no question that you just have to cut to lose fat, so even if you do lose muscle doing it, whats the alternative? Not cutting? Cut a little slower. Fine.

But keep working out and eating your protein and your muscles will grow/preserve to the amount your body will let you. Nothing more you can about it really, and the bro science is mostly contradictory.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just starting my weight loss now, I'm the highest I've ever been at 240 (6'3") - combo of my diabetes medication causing weight gain and a sedentary job.

What is an ideal weight loss per week for me? Was thinking 2 pounds per week?

I'll be doing weights and cardio.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
1.5-2 lbs per week is the generally recommended "safe" rate of weight loss. 240 lbs at 6'3" isn't by any means morbidly obese, so that's a pretty realistic goal for you I think. What you eat is going to be more important than your activity changes, but lifting and doing more cardio than you're used to (sounds like zero?) will certainly help and make you drop fat faster.