Weight Loss Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So I lost a ton of weight a while back, went from 280 down to 200. A combination of stress, work, and lack of motivation led me away from the gym and good eating habits and I put some back on. Turns out, almost all. I was back up to 270 in March.

So my wife gets put on this keto diet and I'm not into it. I'm doing my own thing that I know worked before, hitting the gym and doing cardio/weights and changing up the old diet. But I feel that same shit creeping in again, work and stress and school and kids and blah fucking blah. By mid April I wasn't going to the gym anymore. There was just too much going on. So at the beginning of May I decided to go on that diet with my wife. I do pretty well on those things, anything with strict rules like that. Anyway, down to 235 as of today. I decided to have a little cheat day. At first it was going to be a Rock style epic cheat day, but holy fuck. I ate 4 pieces of pizza and I was smoked. But oh well. Had some fries, had some ice cream cake for my daughter's birthday. Tomorrow, back on the horse. I don't plan on cheating again until Thanksgiving, I think if I did 2 months then I can do 4.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I wouldn't worry about the gym. Your diet is most of the effort. Adhere to a plan and you'll be fine.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I know this will trigger Ossoi, but I think that is why the keto thing works for me. Hard and fast rules, and it includes things that are pretty hard to overeat on, and the rules are very easy to comprehend, no special research or insight needed (for the most part). We will see, in a few months I might be looking back as if I were a poor, naive fool. But right now if the current trend continues I will be doing very well a year from now.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Personally I think keto is probably the best way to manage weight for someone who is sedentary and has no interest in increasing their activity levels. The biggest downside is the most obvious; people don't like restrictions, and avoiding carbs in the US is hard since we hide HFCS in pretty much every packaged food.

I could never stick with a keto diet, but it's great that it's working so well for you. If you eventually decide to reintroduce carbs as a staple, you shouldn't balloon back up if you keep them under 150g or so per day (which shouldn't feel very restricting).

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Noodle make sure to do a bit of light leg work every day, with the beetus you need to keep the little blood vessels safe and functional. Also make sure your shoes and socks are not constricting. Even with it under control that shit is like Zerg creep insidious levels.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
1.5-2 lbs per week is the generally recommended "safe" rate of weight loss. 240 lbs at 6'3" isn't by any means morbidly obese, so that's a pretty realistic goal for you I think. What you eat is going to be more important than your activity changes, but lifting and doing more cardio than you're used to (sounds like zero?) will certainly help and make you drop fat faster.
Cool thanks, that's what I figured. I do an hour walk a few times a week when I can (I get home really late), but otherwise you're right. I'm not interested in dropping fast, just consistently and healthy.

Noodle make sure to do a bit of light leg work every day, with the beetus you need to keep the little blood vessels safe and functional. Also make sure your shoes and socks are not constricting. Even with it under control that shit is like Zerg creep insidious levels.
Will do. I'm going to try to run 5x a week. Typically I prefer to only lift weights, but with the beetus I would like to keep things moving around, so the cardio stuff is to keep blood flow at good levels.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Personally I think keto is probably the best way to manage weight for someone who is sedentary and has no interest in increasing their activity levels. The biggest downside is the most obvious; people don't like restrictions, and avoiding carbs in the US is hard since we hide HFCS in pretty much every packaged food.

I could never stick with a keto diet, but it's great that it's working so well for you. If you eventually decide to reintroduce carbs as a staple, you shouldn't balloon back up if you keep them under 150g or so per day (which shouldn't feel very restricting).
This is pretty much what Ive been doing after I hit 195 lb. I pretty much dont eat the big offenders like bread, rice, potato, pasta, sugary shit. Try to stay at about <100g carbs a day and its been working out so far for the last like 4-5 months. Im staying at or near 195-200lbs, and to tell you the truth I dont even miss the carbs anymore. Nice fresh veggies, lots of protein. I use some low carb pitas I found in my supermarket. They are like 14g for a whole pita, but 1/2 is perfect serving because they are big, like 8" square. I just put that 1/2 pita in the toaster and it opens up in the middle, makes a perfect sandwich.

Ive been also practicing some intermittent fasting. Usually during the week when Im working I will only eat a good lunch and not eat until the next day. I dont even need to eat after a good lunch. I have 2 awesome indian buffet places and I just stay away from the rice and naan. But chicken tikka, butter chicken, chicken 65, goat curry and all the vegetable dishes they have daily, like cabbage, broccali fry, okra, green beans... And its like $10, lol. every day its something different int hese places, spicy and good as hell, never get sick of it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Intermittent fasting is an interesting practice. It seems to help some people control cravings and hunger, while others seem to think it's torturous to go 12-18 hours without eating. I was just reading an article yesterday that said that whether you eat all your calories spread equally throughout the day or within a few hours each day has little overall impact on body fat loss (assuming you're eating the same total calories in both scenarios).

However, if you're hitting the gym and trying to get bigger muscles, intermitant fasting will negatively impact your ability to repair and synthesize new muscle during the hours you're not eating ample protein. It's been established that there's a minimum required amount of protein (technically the BCAA leucine) to stimulate protein synthesis (3.2g). This article discussed a study that sought to answer the question of whether there's a maximum effective amount of protein. The study found that 60g of protein appears to be the max effective amount in one sitting, but it could be lower. The scope of the study was 60g of protein in one sitting.

What this means for intermitant fasting is that you are "wasting" any protein you eat over 60g in a single meal. Since your window to eat is only a few hours, you're probably gonna "waste" a lot of protein and not be in a protein synthesizing state for the hours you're not eating.

Anyway, just some food for thought. This obviously is only relevant if you're lifting weights.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

If i can do keto, as an asian that has eaten rice everyday all his life, anyone can do keto.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If i can do keto, as an asian that has eaten rice everyday all his life, anyone can do keto.
The psychological strain is too much for me. Call it pussy shit if you want, but I think that's the most important consideration when choosing a way of eating that you can actually sustain. I'm glad it works for you though.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
IF, unless you go without food for a full day (24 hours+) has no better results than simple calorie reduction. And even in the cases of going without food for 24 hours, you still need to be at or below maint. calories on your days where you do eat as an average in order to actually lose weight. It's mental gymnastics to avoid overeating when you don't want to actively monitor your caloric intake.

There's no scientific evidence that cutting calories for 8-12 hours (or 16) has any difference in sedentary people when compared to a normal calorie restricted diet that achieves the same total caloric intake over the same time frame. It is shown to cause faster fatigue in physically active people during periods of not-eating, though this is most likely due to the same reason that people on low carb diets before they become acclimated feel fatigue: they burn through their sugars and fat synthesis isn't nearly as efficient. It's basically exactly as effective as caloric restriction on the daily unless you are doing a full sized fast, because it isn't like your body is flipping out and going "burn all the fat cells!" from not eating for 8-16 hours. This happens frequently when people.. you know, sleep, if they aren't eating -right- before bed and -right- after they get up.

So yeah, if it works for you, hey great. It is entirely in your head on how effective it is, as it is literally exactly the same thing as just eating at a caloric deficit over the same timeframe. Which for some people is the mental state they need to lose weight, but it isn't some revolutionary way to do so. If you are legit fasting where your body consumes all the sugars (24+ hours, usually closer to 48) then you are most likely in keto and yes you will start burning fat cells for energy. Skipping a meal? Not the same. Especially if you are eating heavier at other meals to compensate for your fasting periods. If you have an actual balanced diet at each meal that normally leaves you at the same weight, cutting meals should -always- result in weightloss in over time. The problem for most of the "IF" crowd (personally I still think it is a dumb term) is that they aren't doing that. They compensate in other meals, thereby removing the only potential benefit in the first place.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
That was my understanding of intermitant fasting as well. There are some noted benefits to IF, but they're the same ones associated with calorie restriction (thus impossible to solely attribute to IF). IF is really bad for someone who uses not-eating for a long periods as an excuse to binge on higher-than-maintenance calories during the short periods.

Personally, I could comfortably skip breakfast every day. I don't have to force myself to eat, but I don't feel very hungry until around midday. My problem with skipping a meal is that I'm aiming to eat about 168g of protein every day, and it's just not realistic to eat that in two meals (minus the little bit I get in my post workout shake).

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The psychological strain is too much for me. Call it pussy shit if you want, but I think that's the most important consideration when choosing a way of eating that you can actually sustain. I'm glad it works for you though.
I find it easier mentally. Here are foods you can eat:... Here are foods you can not eat:... Yeah you can still overeat but I find it pretty difficult. We'll see how I feel after 6 months instead of just 2.

I think a key was finding sweets that i could have. I'm not a huge sweets guy, but i used to bake a lot and just having the option ofsomethinghelps. Those atkins snacks are expensive as fuck, though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's kind of funny I guess that I'm diabetic but I don't like sweets

That part isn't the problem

Bread tho...

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure all simple carbohydrates break down into the same sugar before they go into your blood, whether they start as "sweets" or bread.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's kind of funny I guess that I'm diabetic but I don't like sweets

That part isn't the problem

Bread tho...
There are things you can make. I made muffins with flax, a kind of bread like thing out of cheese and almond flour, etc. It isn't the same, but that's kind of the point. No progress without sacrifice.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm pretty sure all simple carbohydrates break down into the same sugar before they go into your blood, whether they start as "sweets" or bread.
This is how many older asians i know are diabetic, even tho they eat a "pacific" diet, its the rice, it still breaks down into sugar or glucose or whatever the fuck scientific term, sugar is sugar.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
How many type 2 diabetics do you guys know that are in shape? You can blame it on this food vs that food or whatever else but they're almost always people who overeat.

Now if you wanna talk about the effects on hunger that certain foods have or talk about the combination of fats and carbs in cuisine (especially desserts) that leads to overeating and obesity that's a different story.